It's not coaching | Page 6 | The Boneyard

It's not coaching

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We can just agree to disagree. If he makes that layup and the rest of the game plays out the exact same, we win by 1
No, we can’t. The coaching staff has cost us another game

Reaction Score
We had opportunities and pissed them away. It may be coaching but we had a good lead and also had some opportunities at the end. That can’t all be on the coaching staff. At some point you guys got to look at the play on the court and realize we are missing wide open looks, getting outworked and out muscled. We make tons of mental mistakes.

I think it’s all mental at this point. Team builds a lead, can’t maintain it, implodes in the final minutes. We haven’t been blown out in these losses. They’ve pretty much all been winnable at some point late in the 2nd half. We just can’t get the job done. One word: confidence.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
All game Seton Hall simply cut to the rim for easy layups. Something we NEVER do because guys just pass it to Sanogo and wait at the 3 point line.

CUT TO THE DAMN BASKET. They overplay the hell out of Hawkins. You would think they would work backdoor cuts into the damn gameplan.
Too many forced passes into Sanogo resulting in turnovers. I was very pro AS, but they play more fluid when not doing that, and ball sticks too long. Not to mention his lack of rim protection.

Reaction Score
Thank you.

More examples - Jerome Tang at KSU, Dennis Gates at Mizzou, Mick Cronin at UCLA - we can go on and on.

Hurley has failed here. He cannot consistently keep the players he recruits, and he has failed in the portal. He has failed in March and he has not been competitive in the Big East.

This should not be acceptable here. Many people dont want to admit this, but we have seen Dan Hurley's ceiling. It is not good enough. I wanted to wait until March to really consider this season a success or failure but the last couple of weeks have rapidly sped that up. He is getting paid to be top contending coach, and he is not doing it. Plain and simple. This is not Wagner, this is not Rhode Island. This is UConn. I am not okay with just making the tournament in year five. No one in here should. The sample size is big enough.
I think it will be too hard to ignore even for his biggest supporters at some point. The problem is he's so good at recruiting I see a wait until next year thing brewing and then there's UConn's $ issues.

I was all in on Hurley and thought he was the guy before we hired Ollie. I knew about his offensive deficiencies but thought he was the right fit culturally and he could win with defense and he would grow into the job but this is a results business and he's done way more talking than producing. I hope like hell he can turn it around and I'm rooting for him but there's a lot of red flags. Another first round exit in the NCAA's would be totally unacceptable.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Honestly, I liked Hurley up until we lost to Maryland in the tournament in 2021. UConn doesn't lose in the first round. Only once under Calhoun did we lose in the first round and neither time under Ollie. UConn traditionally is a program that outperforms its seed. We aren't usually upset, and we are rarely upset in the first weekend. It's embarrassing to lose in the first weekend period. I would rather miss the field than fall before the Sweet 16. Put Sean Miller, Nate Oats, or Musselman in our spot in the 21 and 22 tournaments and I think we get to the Sweet 16 both times. This is my problem with Hurley: he chokes. I would rather be an 11 seed than makes a Sweet 16 than a 4 seed that loses in the first weekend. Hurley is that later.

Reaction Score
What’s the saying…. The definition of insanity is doing the same to thing over and over again and expecting a different result

There needs to be changes or experimenting with different things to try to figure out a solution. Staying the course isn’t working

Reaction Score
Look at the recruiting rankings of the 4 transfer guards:

Alleyne: #412, 3*
Calcaterra: #432, 3*
Diarra: #82, 4*
Newton: N/R

This has to be the lowest rated group of guards that UConn has ever had and the talent level is well below the other Big East teams.

Reaction Score
I put this in the post game thread but it belongs here…

Dan, is it still coming ?

I understand Hurley isn’t going anywhere with a top 5 class coming in and I’m sure the university doesn’t want to eat another contract (whatever he has left or whatever the buyout is).

But are we convinced yet that he is the right guy?

Five years in and we’re still waiting for meaningful wins in March

Five years in and I can’t think of one player who has gotten better under Hurley.

I get it … program was a dumpster fire when he got here. But what is right now? it’s in free fall.

Maybe the season turns around and we get to the second weekend and we can forget about this night and this month. I’m always hopeful. But that seems so improbable at the moment.

it’s a mess right now and I am firmly with the camp that you don’t blame 20 year old kids you blame the guy making $4 million a year.

Still waiting for Hurley to convince me he’s the right guy.

Reaction Score
I think it will be too hard to ignore even for his biggest supporters at some point. The problem is he's so good at recruiting I see a wait until next year thing brewing and then there's UConn's $ issues.

I was all in on Hurley and thought he was the guy before we hired Ollie. I knew about his offensive deficiencies but thought he was the right fit culturally and he could win with defense and he would grow into the job but this is a results business and he's done way more talking than producing. I hope like hell he can turn it around and I'm rooting for him but there's a lot of red flags. Another first round exit in the NCAA's would be totally unacceptable.

Exactly, but now we are in year five with nothing to show for it. He is a great recruiter by the metrics, but either the players dont develop when they get here or the players he signs truly just arent that great.

You can't call him a good recruiter and then complain about the talent, which a lot of this board does.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I put this in the post game thread but it belongs here…

Dan, is it still coming ?

I understand Hurley isn’t going anywhere with a top 5 class coming in and I’m sure the university doesn’t want to eat another contract (whatever he has left or whatever the buyout is).

But are we convinced yet that he is the right guy?

Five years in and we’re still waiting for meaningful wins in March

Five years in and I can’t think of one player who has gotten better under Hurley.

I get it … program was a dumpster fire when he got here. But what is right now? it’s in free fall.

Maybe the season turns around and we get to the second weekend and we can forget about this night and this month. I’m always hopeful. But that seems so improbable at the moment.

it’s a mess right now and I am firmly with the camp that you don’t blame 20 year old kids you blame the guy making $4 million a year.

Still waiting for Hurley to convince me he’s the right guy.
If we don't make it to the Sweet 16, he needs to be terminated. UConn is a second weekend program. Anything less is a failure. We are the top brand in a top 4 league. There is no excuse for not being a second weekend program 4 out of 5 years with one NIT year stuffed in there somewhere.

Reaction Score
Thank you.

More examples - Jerome Tang at KSU, Dennis Gates at Mizzou, Mick Cronin at UCLA - we can go on and on.

Hurley has failed here. He cannot consistently keep the players he recruits, and he has failed in the portal. He has failed in March and he has not been competitive in the Big East.

This should not be acceptable here. Many people dont want to admit this, but we have seen Dan Hurley's ceiling. It is not good enough. I wanted to wait until March to really consider this season a success or failure but the last couple of weeks have rapidly sped that up. He is getting paid to be top contending coach, and he is not doing it. Plain and simple. This is not Wagner, this is not Rhode Island. This is UConn. I am not okay with just making the tournament in year five. No one in here should. The sample size is big enough.

If we actually lose, then yeah I think everyone will be in agreement. But shouldn't we actually see how he does in March before writing him off completely? This is clearly a team talented enough to make a run, so another first round exit would be awful

Reaction Score
If we don't make it to the Sweet 16, he needs to be terminated. UConn is a second weekend program. Anything less is a failure. We are the top brand in a top 4 league. There is no excuse for not being a second weekend program 4 out of 5 years with one NIT year stuffed in there somewhere.
he's not getting fired this year. he has the rest of this year, next year, and probably the next year to actually do something. we have no money

Reaction Score
You can’t fire him with that class coming in next year

shizzle787

Reaction Score
You can’t fire him with that class coming in next year
He can't coach- he's Calipari-lite. What good does it do to be a great recruiter if your x's and o's stink? We need someone that makes more with less, not less with more.

Reaction Score
Look at the recruiting rankings of the 4 transfer guards:

Alleyne: #412, 3*
Calcaterra: #432, 3*
Diarra: #82, 4*
Newton: N/R

This has to be the lowest rated group of guards that UConn has ever had and the talent level is well below the other Big East teams.
All our other players are highly ranked. You're supposed to throw recruiting rankings out the window when it's transfers who have produced at a high level at other schools. There's a bunch of kids with those same profiles who produced like crazy at their first school and are producing like crazy now at top 25 schools.

Cole was a nothing recruit and he was our best player last season.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Screaming is wonderful.. However he was invisible in the second half, which is ridiculous for a supposed lottery pick.. and worse yet, it’s a trend

He’s not a lottery pick - I would trade him straight up for Al Mouring right now.

If there is one thing this coaching staff needs to do, it’s stop talking. No more projecting kids who have done nothing into the lottery and more talking about how it’s coming or it’s here or it will be here or anything else. In fact, everyone associated with the team needs to stop talking until they actually do something.

Reaction Score
I get it, UConn is in a tough stretch, but players have developed under Hurley. Martin, Whaley, and Cole improved significantly under Hurley and none of them were highly recruited HS recruits. Martin was drafted to the NBA.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
He’s not a lottery pick - I would trade him straight up for Al Mouring right now.

If there is one thing this coaching staff needs to do, it’s stop talking. No more projecting kids who have done nothing into the lottery and more talking about how it’s coming or it’s here or it will be here or anything else. In fact, everyone associated with the team needs to stop talking until they actually do something.
I'm remember Newton before the season talking about if he was going to use his extra year of eligibility or go to the league after this season. Lol.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I get it, UConn is in a tough stretch, but players have developed under Hurley. Martin, Whaley, and Cole improved significantly under Hurley and none of them were highly recruited HS recruits. Martin was drafted to the NBA.
Those three are really good mid-major players who played their hearts out.

Reaction Score
If we actually lose, then yeah I think everyone will be in agreement. But shouldn't we actually see how he does in March before writing him off completely? This is clearly a team talented enough to make a run, so another first round exit would be awful
This is not a clearly talented enough team: they just lost to St. Johns and Seton Hall. If they are that talented then you would agree the coaching is bad. So which is it?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom