It's not coaching | Page 7 | The Boneyard

It's not coaching

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Too many forced passes into Sanogo resulting in turnovers. I was very pro AS, but they play more fluid when not doing that, and ball sticks too long. Not to mention his lack of rim protection.
All of this. This something the staff needs to fix ASAP. Teams have figured it out and Sanogo is too good to not be involved

Reaction Score
He can't coach- he's Calipari-lite. What good does it do to be a great recruiter if your x's and o's stink? We need someone that makes more with less, not less with more.
Actually, I would argue Hurley did a poor job of having guards on the roster this year. College basketball is about guard play and we do not have good guard play. We all knew going onto this season that UConn did not have a point guard and we hoped the point guard by committee would work, but we can now see that this was a flawed idea.

Reaction Score
Sanogo was dominant against the cupcakes. Played well in the PK when other teams were still trying to figure it out.

We force the ball inside, he waits and waits and waits until he’s forced to take bad shot. It’s not working.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm remember Newton before the season talking about if he was going to use his extra year of eligibility or go to the league after this season. Lol.

Here’s what I would do with Newton….give him the ball, tell him he’s the point guard. Get back to what worked in the beginning of the season.

Andre is a dumpster fire at point.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Here’s what I would do with Newton….give him the ball, tell him he’s the point guard. Get back to what worked in the beginning of the season.

He seems to play more with confidence and aggression with Clingan. Seems more free flowing

Reaction Score

They both can't dribble and turn the ball over.

Reaction Score
If we actually lose, then yeah I think everyone will be in agreement. But shouldn't we actually see how he does in March before writing him off completely? This is clearly a team talented enough to make a run, so another first round exit would be awful
We have to wait but I don't see us making it out of the first weekend again. Then we'll wait because he has the #4 class coming in next season. He still has the end of this season and he'll get next season because of the class but the honeymoon is long over.

That's if things don't completely spiral between now and the start of next season. This is way more than a little blip like some posters were suggesting.

Reaction Score
Those three are really good mid-major players who played their hearts out.
Did they not develop under Hurley? Of course they did. Whaley was BE defensive player of the year in 2020/2021, Cole was 1st team BE, and Martin was better than either. We would kill for any of the three to be on this year's team.

Reaction Score
This is not a clearly talented enough team: they just lost to St. Johns and Seton Hall. If they are that talented then you would agree the coaching is bad. So which is it?
You don't think this team has the talent to win 2 games in March? I think PKI and the early season games proved it's possible.

I think Hurley and the staff have a ton to improve on and the Big East has exposed weaknesses. Doesn't mean I'm ready to just completely write them off. The bad 10 game stretch doesn't erase the good job they did early in the season

Reaction Score
I mean Sanogo front ended a wide open layup to go up 3 with 50 seconds. That’s not coaching
I’m pretty sure that the coaches have probably told Sanogo 1,000 times to look to pass when double and triple teamed. 3 times in the game today he had the ball in the lane being double teamed with a wide open teammate facing him for a three with no defender in sight and AS decided not to pass, shot and missed himself. I’m pretty sure that’s not what is preached by the coaches and the poor decision is not on the coaches.

coaching is not 100% of the problem, as some on this board want us to believe. If Hurley was on the bench today he would be getting crucified.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Did they not develop under Hurley? Of course they did. Whaley was BE defensive player of the year in 2020/2021, Cole was 1st team BE, and Martin was better than either. We would kill for any of the three to be on this year's team.
Don't care. He lost two years in a row in the first round. That is unacceptable. With Jay Wright now gone, we are the best brand in a top 4 league. We should be a second weekend team 4 out of 5 years.

Reaction Score
There was a large sect of this board who were ready to use a win tonight as a referendum on Hurleys coaching ability. Those same people are blaming him for the loss. I just find it funny that win or lose tonight it was going to=Hurley Bad. I’m speaking specifically on tonight
I don’t think anyone would be doing that if we got that last rebound. It was pretty obviously more of the same all night. If we’d won by 20 you would have seems some commentary for sure. This game win by one or lose by two was more crap.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He recruited Martin out of high school to URI.
Tbh, I’m tired of holding up guys who haven’t won anything and would be bottom tier Calhoun players as an example of Hurley doing something.

They played hard for us, but they weren’t making a difference. We lost with them I don’t know why we think we would win with them now.

Reaction Score
Are we watching the same game? What are you talking about?
It is time to stop blaming everything on the coaches. Players must take some responsibility. Need a win badly to get some of their swagger and confidence back.

Reaction Score
We have to wait but I don't see us making it out of the first weekend again. Then we'll wait because he has the #4 class coming in next season. He still has the end of this season and he'll get next season because of the class but the honeymoon is long over.

That's if things don't completely spiral between now and the start of next season. This is way more than a little blip like some posters were suggesting.
That's a fine take, even if I don't agree it can't be turned around this season. The early games still happened. I'm just disagreeing with the idea that this season is written in stone as a failure on January 18th. I think that's taking it a bit too far

Reaction Score
Don't care. He lost two years in a row in the first round. That is unacceptable. With Jay Wright now gone, we are the best brand in a top 4 league. We should be a second weekend team 4 out of 5 years.
But you said Hurley doesn't develop players and I gave you 3 examples. I think Hurley screwed up not bringing in 1 or 2 point guards for this season as you have to have good guard play to get to the 2nd weekend.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Especially with this roster. It’s more than doable.

Reaction Score
Tbh, I’m tired of holding up guys who haven’t won anything and would be bottom tier Calhoun players as an example of Hurley doing something.

They played hard for us, but they weren’t making a difference. We lost with them I don’t know why we think we would win with them now.
You’re not gonna have a happy life if every coach has to be as good as Calhoun.

Reaction Score
Who created the offensive and defensive styles? Who puts in the lineups? At some point the defending of the ineptitude has got to stop. That’s how we get here. Four years of this. That missed layup didn’t cost us the game. How about the 10+ turnovers in the second half trying to force feed sanogo and giving up a double digit lead. Again
You are right. It‘s all the coaches fault. (sarcasm in case you don’t recognize it)

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Look at the recruiting rankings of the 4 transfer guards:

Alleyne: #412, 3*
Calcaterra: #432, 3*
Diarra: #82, 4*
Newton: N/R

This has to be the lowest rated group of guards that UConn has ever had and the talent level is well below the other Big East teams.
I don’t want to validate this as they are all now experienced guys, but damn.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
You’re not gonna have a happy life if every coach has to be as good as Calhoun.
They don’t need to be. But I’m not going to sit here and hold guys who didn’t win anything as some standard either.

Hell none of these guys are some of KO’s best recruits either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom