It's not coaching | Page 9 | The Boneyard

It's not coaching

Reaction Score
We HAD higher standards until the fanbase disappeared and now fans are content with mediocre (if that) performances.
I agree its sad we have fans that are full of excuses for mediocre player performances.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I haven’t made a comparison at all. Tyrese would be huge for us this year, but that doesn’t mean diddly squat. He ain’t here.

All I’m saying is we haven’t had a dominant team that expected to win each game they suited up since 09
I don’t see it. Last years team was just as bad if not worse at finishing at the rim. They were just tougher and played better defense.

Reaction Score
I saw Hawkins yelling in that TO to his teamates, which sometimes is fine. In the same TO, just before Hawkins yelling, you saw SH coaches discussing strategy and who to cover. I didnt know who was going to win but I knew who was better prepared.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t see it. Last years team was just as bad if not worse at finishing at the rim. They were just tougher and played better defense.
I don’t know how you can’t see a drafted NBA player would have be an helpful addition this year.

Tyrese was our best player at getting to the rim and finishing aggressively. He had good handle. He was an ELITE rebounder AND shot 43% from 3.

He also plays our weakest scoring position on the offensive side of the floor.

Like what?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I don’t know how you can’t see a drafted NBA player would have be an helpful addition this year.

Tyrese was our best player at getting to the rim and finishing aggressively. He had good handle. He was an ELITE rebounder AND shot 43% from 3.

Like what?
We have 4 potential nba players on this team. We should be at the top of the conference with that alone

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Like what?
Tyrese Martin was not actually good at finishing at the rim. Nobody on last year’s team was. His handle was not that good either. It’s why Cole had the heavy burden of ball handling duties.

Would he play for Andre Jackson? Leave us with only Newton as a ball handler and passer? Over Hawkins? Play stretch 4?

Reaction Score
Lmao name em.

right now we have 2

And one of them is a freshman big who is still learning how to pivot both ways
For real, his nonsense makes a little more sense now that he think Sanago and Jackson are NBA players.

Reaction Score
Tyrese Martin was not actually good at finishing at the rim. Nobody on last year’s team was. His handle was not that good either. It’s why Cole had the heavy burden of ball handling duties.

Would he play for Andre Jackson? Leave us with only Newton as a ball handler and passer? Over Hawkins? Play stretch 4?
I mean theoretically yes. Newton and Jackson on the floor at the same time is not working for either of them.

But, at this point it’s disrespectful to call either of them PGs lol

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I mean theoretically yes. Newton and Jackson on the floor at the same time is not working for either of them.
So then we would have the same problem of last year of having one ball handler and guy who can distribute. Which would mean even more of the stagnant offense we had last year because Tyrese was Sanogo like in how he did not pass the ball.

Martin isn’t the fix man.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
Where do you suggest Sanogo be involved?
The most reasonable indictment of the coaching staff is that should Sanogo should be getting way LESS minutes

Clearly the trolls don’t understand the game. Better off letting them throw their tantrum and demand we fire every coach who doesn’t meet a standard only one team in the country has been able to meet in the past 5 years

Reaction Score
For real, his nonsense makes a little more sense now that he think Sanago and Jackson are NBA players.
Jackson has the highest potential, which is alluring.

But seeing zero “attack the lane” improvement over 3 years is becoming alarming. He enjoys passing way too much for a “point forward”

Reaction Score
So then we would have the same problem of last year of having one ball handler and guy who can distribute. Which would mean even more of the stagnant offense we had last year because Tyrese was Sanogo like in how he did not pass the ball.

Martin isn’t the fix man.
The only true fix is a competent attacking PG that’s quick enough to get in front of a guard on D.

Reaction Score
Nooo this is coaching.

We have a stud back up to replace Adama if he is playing poorly. Instead they let the same thing happen over and over again.

There are no repercussions for awful lazy play.
So you think Sanogo should play less since there should be repercussions for not Doing what the coaches are telling you to do. I agree. That part is on the coaches. Because he was chosen Big East player of the year in preseason it seems neither many of our fans or the coaches have the guts to make the right decision…play him less until he stops being so selfish.

Reaction Score
Jackson has the highest potential, which is alluring.

But seeing zero “attack the lane” improvement over 3 years is becoming alarming. He enjoys passing way too much for a “point forward”
Nba player ranks on this team.

1. Clingan
2. Hawkins

Jackson has nba intrigue, but he is a 2 way player who needs to develop his game at nba level

Sanogo, I don’t think will ever play in nba. Short centers who can’t shoot and defend the basket are not in high demand.

Karaban strikes me as a Sam Hauser, Kyle Korver second round shooter type.

Reaction Score
I get it, UConn is in a tough stretch, but players have developed under Hurley. Martin, Whaley, and Cole improved significantly under Hurley and none of them were highly recruited HS recruits. Martin was drafted to the NBA.

Did they not develop under Hurley? Of course they did. Whaley was BE defensive player of the year in 2020/2021, Cole was 1st team BE, and Martin was better than either. We would kill for any of the three to be on this year's team.

Martin seemed like a guy you want on your side in a street fight. I’m not sure there’s anybody on this UConn squad (that plays meaningful minutes) that fits that description.

Danny has put this team into a chaotic pile of anxiety = mentally soft players

Nah. They’re conditioned to be that way. That doesn’t mean they would’ve been this way if say, Sean Miller were coaching these guys.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Before the season they were considered that.

Unfortunately they look like another poor development job of Hurley’s HS recruits currently.

Reaction Score
Nba player ranks on this team.

1. Clingan
2. Hawkins

Jackson has nba intrigue, but he is a 2 way player who needs to develop his game at nba level

Sanogo, I don’t think will ever play in nba. Short centers who can’t shoot and defend the basket are not in high demand.

Karaban strikes me as a Sam Hauser, Kyle Korver second round shooter type.
I’d be shocked if Karaban gets there, but I still see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hauser and Korver could defend against a NBA shooting guard. Karaban needs to improve his quickness dramatically.

Having said that, Karaban might be the best 4 year player we’ve had in a long long time. His improvement is the only thing Hurley haters refuse to talk about.

Reaction Score
Who created the offensive and defensive styles? Who puts in the lineups? At some point the defending of the ineptitude has got to stop. That’s how we get here. Four years of this. That missed layup didn’t cost us the game. How about the 10+ turnovers in the second half trying to force feed sanogo and giving up a double digit lead. Again
This. 10000 times, this

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom