It’s hard to be that unprepared for a game. | Page 7 | The Boneyard

It’s hard to be that unprepared for a game.

Reaction Score
Speaking of the talent on this team: highly overrated. NMSU guys had more footspeed than our guys and equal athletically.

They also had a go to guy in Allen who torched us.

Hurley has no strategy except to our hustle the other team. Sanogo very selfish and soft. His play big reason we lost.

PS: Dan Hurley is on the hot seat. This performance after last years mantra about the loss to Maryland.
Hurley is not on the hot seat. Program is trending upwards and he is building a culture. Hurley could have cleaned house when he came to UConn, but he didn't and in the long run, it will pay dividends.

Look at Calhoun's first 7 years at UConn:

9-19, 20-14, 18-13, 31-6, 20-11, 20-10, 20-10, 15-13. For the 89/90 season (31-6), he brought in Nadav from Israel and that was the key and unexpected piece that pushed UConn to the Elite 8.

BTW, who didn't know that this team was vey flawed with no guard depth and poor shooting? Unfortunately, Diggins was not ready to compete this year at PG and I think you need to bring in another PG for next year as insurance for Diggins and to add depth. For UConn to be successful, we need 1 alpha point guard and 1 strong backup PG. Cole is more of a CG than a PG.

Reaction Score
so 42% is efficient? Not to mention he actually only scored 24 points from the field since he had 13 free throws and made all of them. We fouled someone is gunner and it killed us.
He made 4 threes so that’s like shooting 50% and getting to the foul line and making 13-13 is just like making 6 of 6 from the field. His real efficiency was over 60%. That’s very efficient

Reaction Score
Besides that, we are right on schedule for Nat Champ #5. A coach worth his salt NEVER allows the other team's best player to torch you like that.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hurley cannot shoot the ball, dribble the ball, rebound or defend for his players - I fully understand that so lets get that out there now

However, Hurley can prepare his team for the game, understand the opponents strengths and weaknesses and make adjustments
He did none of these things today and for the most part all season
He is a great recruiter, his name gets him into many doors and he obviously can close the deal. Being in the NBE is a bonus.
He is a ineffective Xs and Os coach and his player management/usage is more than questionable

Everyone knew that NMSU is a one man team yet that one player, who is not a great basketball athlete, goes crazy and scores more than half his teams points. Nobody else on that team is going to beat anyone. Period. Where was Hurley's plan to stop that big mouthed punk?
Yeah he hit some "blow it out your arse" shots but not 37 points worth - as one ESPN radio commentator said - someone on that UConn staff didn't do their homework - inexcusable
The opposing coach saw something I have been talking about all season. Uconn's bigger players, with the exception of Whaley, do not hit the boards with conviction. What did he do? sent everyone crashing the offensive boards keeping Whaley away and came away with a lot of boards - that was a killer. They also cut off UConn's head - Cole. A lot of teams had tried but these guys effectively did it for the most part.

It confuses me why there were no apparent defensive adjustments made during this game - no wrinkle in the defense to even try to stop that punk and nothing on offense to try to drum up production. Last I heard on Tuesday morning was Hawkins was able to play. The fact that he didn't step on that court is ridiculous. DH's decision not to play his freshmen early in the season was and could prove to be a huge mistake.

This is a completely avoidable loss. Anyone who says NMSU is the better team is either certifiable or just fooling themselves. They had the best player on the court (on this night) but that one player should not beat a team like UConn.

Hurley and Sanogo have a lot to think about this offseason. 0-2 in your only NCAA games, both being the higher ranked team has gotten other coaches on the hot seat or even out the door. I am not saying at all that Hurley should be fired but he is being paid a whole ton of money to be producing these results. If AD David Benedict has any brains and guts (huge question) there should be a coming to God discussion on the table.

On to next season..........................................................

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
When you start Sanogo, Whaley, and Jackson the defense can drop and let Whaley and AJ shoot. And try play RJ and Martin tight. This is why we start slow. I would have started Polley and brought in AJ or Whaley off the bench. It seems DH refused to make any changes. I was not a believer when we beat Nova, but not having DH on the sideline may have been a benefit.
Starting Polley solves nothing. They ran switches all night to get Allen on Polley and he torched us when they did. He’s a massive defensive liability. The issues are different than that.

Reaction Score
Exactly. You have to have at least one NBA talent on the roster to even have a shot to win championships. Our guy left a year early. Otherwise it’s smoke and mirrors, and while you may catch lightening in a bottle every so often, you can’t expect it.

My concern for next year is “returning offense”. That is one tried and true predictor of success, and we have what, maybe 20% of our points returning? Need another option for Sanogo (and Hawkins). May need a shooter from the portal.
I am okay with most of this year’s offense not returning. Didn’t leave much to be desired

Reaction Score
Cmon. I get it. This was an all time bad loss for our program. Yet their “guy” scores 37 and their terrible shooting “others” go 7-10 from 3. Yet we are tied with 2:00 left. Players have to make winning plays. They did. We made losing plays. Ie Sanogo foul.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Bum Phillips:
”How do you win? By getting average players to play good and good players to play great. That’s how you win.”

Thats how a lot of these ‘lesser teams’ won today. That’s also how we lost.
We should not imagine that we wouldn’t win 4 out of 5 against those guys. They won’t shoot 11-17 again ever, in 100 tries. Nor would Teddy make so many tough shots. But they did. It’s what Nova did to upset Georgetown and win a NC. The problem is that it keeps happening. And the response isn’t there.

Reaction Score
Can we attempt to keep the Hurley debate in one thread? It may be an impossibility on this board, but I figured it's worth a shot.

My thoughts are all over the place, and feel free to critique...

1.) Hurley probably deserves to be in the hot seat next year. He does a lot of things well, but we are a team that expects to win in the tournament. 0 wins in 4 years is unacceptable. Period. Rebuild or not.

2.) He also is probably NOT on the hot seat, because we don't have the money for it.

3.) Either he doesn't know how, or his emotions get in the way, of Hurley making adjustments and coaching well in close games. Yes, the players missed shots. Yes, we didn't defend all that well. But when the team consistent lays eggs in close games and tournament games, it's on the COACH.

4.) The refusal to play a zone early this season when we could practice it with lower stakes cost us big time. The inflexibility on defense kills us. Our strategy is not much more nuanced than "play harder than the other team"... that works A LOT of the time. That doesn't work against teams like Creighton, Nova, and certainly not in big tournament games. Everyone is prepared. Everyone knows your playbook

5.) We recruited well, but made some mistakes. We expected Gaffney to contribute more than he did. I'm not sure we can blame the staff for that. Same with the Whaley/Sanogo thing... they don't play well together, but ultimately they're two of our best players and they do need to see the floor. Even if they don't mesh well.
Hurley does not deserve to be on the hot seat. He's a good coach with CRYSTAL clear strengths and weaknesses, but we've gone to the tournament two years in a row and ultimately that is the measurement like it or not. In time with more recruiting, roster tweaks, improving in-game coaching and demeanor we will be good for a long time. And he recruits like a monster and gets who he wants. I think the bigger problem is IDing who he wants better, and understanding his coaching weaknesses and having a plan to improve now that they are clear.

Strenghts -

1. the Dude can recruit. He wants a guy, he usually gets him. In some ways I think this is his problem at UConn. He gets to UConn and now he can recruit a bunch of athletic monsters that he couldn't touch at URI, so he gets a stable of them and doesn't worry so much about fit/style/traits. Cuz at URI you get a stud you can give him 35 minutes a game from day 1, and he'll develop fast and with the confidence that he is the MAN at URI. That alone will bring you success at URI, Wagner, etc, cuz if you are a killer recruiter at mid major you can really just out-talent people like the UConn Women do. If there's enough of a talent gap through recruiting nothing else matters at a mid-major school. You win 1 or 2 ok out of conference games, go 18-3 in your conference and you are a god. At UConn, you are at the top level of talent, the gaps are not there when you get to the top 25 teams, so roster management, in-game coaching ability, system, all plays a much more impactful role on success. That's new for him, we'll see if he can figure it out but now its a real struggle.

2. Effort/tenacity - no one will say this guy doesn't get his players to give max effort, sorry. They always fight, always play hard. There is massive value in that.

Weaknesses

1. Roster management (and this IS coaching. Hurley is the GM) - Its probably not good to have like 2-3 extra talented 6'10 guys who are just not useful at all because they are redundant. You give Akok, Springs, Samson Johnson to any other D1 team and they are each getting 10-30 minutes a night and putting up numbers. For us, they dont even sniff the floor(rightly or wrongly). Meanwhile, we have 1 guard who can dribble the ball and make shots off the dribble on the entire team. Our second ball handler is a 6'6 guy who is best off as a 3&D guy, and isn't a threat to score at all for himself. And our backup "PG" is a well below average combo guard with zero confidence. The one guy who could have helped us in the backcourt and dominated an intramural scrimmage(Floyd) getting to the paint and finishing at will was redshirted(looking back and even bigger WTF?) Finally, though it was clear from the very first set of real games exactly what problems existed with the roster and yet he didn't pull Floyds Redshirt, he didn't build up the freshman to get them experience and develop them. No, he put all the other pieces in the freezer and rode with the known quantities. And the results were exactly as they should be expected to be. The same.

2. In-Game Coaching Jesus H Khrist - We win the games we should win on talent, effort, and athleticm. And don't get me wrong I love that. I love knowing we are going to crush the bottom half of the Big East and cruise to 10 conference wins before we start sweating. But we do it with a brutal style of game where we just physically break down the other team, bully them, etc. But put us in a game of even talent where coaching MATTERS, and we are often outmatched. Basically this is analogous to every big game we play. We see it all the time - the other coach gets their players unlimited Isos in good positions to score. The guy just has all day and space to make a a play. He does it again. And Again, no adjustments. Seton Hall the dude put up like 20 strait points before anything was even done. This game all we needed to do was bottle up one single guy and we just keep throwing a single defender on him and letting him make a play toward the rim. Creighton just spreads us out and gets easy cuts to the rim. Villanova spaces us out and lets their guards bully us down low for 5-10 minutes at a clip. Its getting insane. We just get carved up by good teams and when bad teams get a guy hot we just sit there like we've never practiced variations or different coverages and they beat us with it.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s coaching as much as it is roster construction.
I agree, the offense and roster js constructed for their to be spacing and movement but when you don’t have enough shooting on the court it won’t work. Hurley has to adjust better in game though there’s no question about that. No changes were made to how we defended Allen

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I don’t really blame Hurley, these players were sleep walking right out of the gate. These are men who have dreamed of playing and winning this tournament since they were kids. They have to have some self motivation and hunger and excitement at the moment. That should be natural. Why does Hurley and anyone else have to get them to give maximum effort when it’s clear that your in a fight. Whenever Geno Auriemma talks to his team, one the main things he says is,”we do t teach effort here and if you need that from us, your in the wrong place”. Effort always but especially this time of year is a given. You always punch first, why wait?.
well, I think that teaching effort is Hurley's self-reported strength. I'm not sure where he's elite elsewhere. so when the team falls flat on it's face in the effort department, they lose to a 12 seed.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
He made 4 threes so that’s like shooting 50% and getting to the foul line and making 13-13 is just like making 6 of 6 from the field. His real efficiency was over 60%. That’s very efficient

This is the issue with looking at the box score in a vacuum. We fouled him twice on shots that had no chance. It was a bad night shooting the rock for him and we made it easy at the free throw line. We fouled him on fadeaways and other foolishness. They had 3 free throws well into the second half.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
We’re about to enter year 5 of Hurley and it’s put up or shut up. There will be no Ollie players left (how is that possible there are still Ollie players?) and the staff has shown they can recruit.

What Hurley hasn’t shown is a willingness to play younger guys who aren’t sure fire studs. Take a look at Creighton and Marquette for examples of teams that played freshman early, dealt with some bumps and got them into roles and rhythm as the year went on. I don’t want the “Jay Wright doesn’t play freshman until they’re juniors” bs either - Hurley isn’t Jay Wright.

If you’re going to let top 75 guys sit on the bench even during the cupcake part of your schedule you’re setting yourself up for exactly what happened this year. Didn’t develop a deep enough bench or a solid secondary ball handler.

He’s also got to take a hard look in the mirror at his in game adjustments. There’s the game plan and then there’s the adjustments when the game plan isn’t working. I just haven’t seen the latter consistently (if at all) from Hurley yet. He’s got worlds of resources at his disposal now … his dad, world class assistants, a hall of fame former coach. Use them.

Reaction Score
Hurley cannot shoot the ball, dribble the ball, rebound or defend for his players - I fully understand that so lets get that out there now

However, Hurley can prepare his team for the game, understand the opponents strengths and weaknesses and make adjustments
He did none of these things today and for the most part all season
He is a great recruiter, his name gets him into many doors and he obviously can close the deal. Being in the NBE is a bonus.
He is a ineffective Xs and Os coach and his player management/usage is more than questionable

Everyone knew that NMSU is a one man team yet that one player, who is not a great basketball athlete, goes crazy and scores more than half his teams points. Nobody else on that team is going to beat anyone. Period. Where was Hurley's plan to stop that big mouthed punk?
Yeah he hit some "blow it out your arse" shots but not 37 points worth - as one ESPN radio commentator said - someone on that UConn staff didn't do their homework - inexcusable
The opposing coach saw something I have been talking about all season. Uconn's bigger players, with the exception of Whaley, do not hit the boards with conviction. What did he do? sent everyone crashing the offensive boards keeping Whaley away and came away with a lot of boards - that was a killer. They also cut off UConn's head - Cole. A lot of teams had tried but these guys effectively did it for the most part.

It confuses me why there were no apparent defensive adjustments made during this game - no wrinkle in the defense to even try to stop that punk and nothing on offense to try to drum up production. Last I heard on Tuesday morning was Hawkins was able to play. The fact that he didn't step on that court is ridiculous. DH's decision not to play his freshmen early in the season was and could prove to be a huge mistake.

This is a completely avoidable loss. Anyone who says NMSU is the better team is either certifiable or just fooling themselves. They had the best player on the court (on this night) but that one player should not beat a team like UConn.

Hurley and Sanogo have a lot to think about this offseason. 0-2 in your only NCAA games, both being the higher ranked team has gotten other coaches on the hot seat or even out the door. I am not saying at all that Hurley should be fired but he is being paid a whole ton of money to be producing these results. If AD David Benedict has any brains and guts (huge question) there should be a coming to God discussion on the table.

On to next season..........................................................
Agree

Reaction Score
Yes. But not coaching. A college coach has many other jobs outside of coaching.
It is still a deficiency that makes the ability to coach harder than it needs to be.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
We should not imagine that we wouldn’t win 4 out of 5 against those guys. They won’t shoot 11-17 again ever, in 100 tries. Nor would Teddy make so many tough shots. But they did. It’s what Nova did to upset Georgetown and win a NC. The problem is that it keeps happening. And the response isn’t there.
While that’s true, where were the guys on our team who raised their game? People can say that’s on the players, but good coaches bring that next level out in their players.

Reaction Score
It is still a deficiency that makes the ability to coach harder than it needs to be.
Understood. But low oil in your car makes the engines job harder. But the engine still isn’t the problem. You need an oil change not an engine change

Reaction Score
Starting Polley solves nothing. They ran switches all night to get Allen on Polley and he torched us when they did. He’s a massive defensive liability. The issues are different than that.

Play of the game was when Akok actively sought out the three point line so he could put his toe on it and take a point off the board.

I guess one benefit of the season ending is no more Polley takes from you.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Almost have it here. What I think it is, is Hurley forcing square pegs in round holes. You’re never going to have your perfect roster. Never. That means you need to be flexible. But he won’t. He makes guys play out of position, he assigns them roles they can’t fill because he simply won’t change his style.

There we’re comments about Carlton. Hell of a player. Better than Whaley or Polley. But he could not do what Dan wanted, so off he goes to Houston. It’s an example of the problem. He needs a flexible approach that maximizes the players he has.
Wish I could like this twice. Spot on.

Reaction Score
Speaking of the talent on this team: highly overrated. NMSU guys had more footspeed than our guys and equal athletically.

They also had a go to guy in Allen who torched us.

Hurley has no strategy except to our hustle the other team. Sanogo very selfish and soft. His play big reason we lost.

PS: Dan Hurley is on the hot seat. This performance after last years mantra about the loss to Maryland.
Sanogo can't pass I agree but he never gets open looks as teams know we have no shooters and just sag off Jackson and Whaley and dare them to shoot. Funny thing is when Whaley makes a pass to Sanogo he brings his man down low to help crowd the basket. This happen a couple times and was infuriating. Whaley stay outside after the pass and don't let bring other players down low low so they can double and triple team Sanogo.

Reaction Score

I disagree. Without another shooter you end up scoring 22 points in a half. We have had slow starts all season. Teams need only guard 2-3 players on out team And stuff the paint. Do you think AJ played well on D today? He gets beat constantly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom