It’s hard to be that unprepared for a game. | Page 8 | The Boneyard

It’s hard to be that unprepared for a game.

Reaction Score
Agree with this. Offense was stagnant to start but the construction of our lineup lends itself to these slow starts. I love all our starters individually but we really were playing with a 1, two 3’s, and two 5’s in today’s college game.

That being said, they hit some ridiculous shots and the last foul on that crappy Allen shot when we were down 1 really hurt us. But we can’t let it get to that point.
Actually we start a 2, two 3s and two 5s. Not a recipe for good offense.

Reaction Score
I disagree. Without another shooter you end up scoring 22 points in a half. We have had slow starts all season. Teams need only guard 2-3 players on out team And stuff the paint. Do you think AJ played well on D today? He gets beat constantly.
Yeah Jackson was pitiful always going for the steal and letting his player have the edge going to the basket. Just lazy defense. I hope we can recruit over AJ as he really isn't much of a player. No offense and suspect d. Yeah he can make a highlight pass and rebound well but we need more from our SF.

Reaction Score
We lost this game in first half. Our game plan was crap. Theirs wasn’t. That’s on Hurley.
While the game plan wasn't great, Hurley uses the "we lost this game in the first half" excuse (usually effort vs strategy though) way too often, and he did it again in the post-game interview tonight. Yes, if we had taken care of business in the first half, we likely would have had a lead (probably a comfortable one) in the second half. But, either way, this game is winnable if we execute down the stretch.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
After what happened last year, this was unacceptable.
I agree but last year was more on the lottery pick and his poor judgment the last few games

Reaction Score
The in game adjustments are clearly not there.

There should be no roster construction issues next year after how glaring they were this year. At least I would hope so.
There's a reason our biggest win this season was when Hurley was out of the game. Kimani's in-game adjustments helped us beat Nova, Hurley's lack of in-game adjustments plagued us all season, which is our record in tight games is horrendous.

Reaction Score
Almost have it here. What I think it is, is Hurley forcing square pegs in round holes. You’re never going to have your perfect roster. Never. That means you need to be flexible. But he won’t. He makes guys play out of position, he assigns them roles they can’t fill because he simply won’t change his style.

There we’re comments about Carlton. Hell of a player. Better than Whaley or Polley. But he could not do what Dan wanted, so off he goes to Houston. It’s an example of the problem. He needs a flexible approach that maximizes the players he has.
That's a very good point on Carlton. I thought he was pretty bad and was regressing and then he goes to Houston and Kelvin Samspon has him playing great. That's an indictment on Hurley.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
We lost this game in first half. Our game plan was crap. Theirs wasn’t. That’s on Hurley.
it didn't look like they had a game plan. just go into it like we're better then them.

either hurley needs to give some consideration to the basic "belichick plan" of taking their big threat out of the game and making their other players beat us, or Allen was better than anyone on our team

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If we do not win a tournament game next year, Hurley should be canned.

Reaction Score
I think next year is when the pressure starts to mount for Hurley if things don't get better.

He's going to have 'his' players. They need to develop the new guys and the returning guys so they give him options. Sanogo has to become more aggressive inside. There is nothing wrong with finesse, but he has to mix it up once in a while. Jackson needs to take the next step and add more on offense. Hawkins need to add strength. He made strides on the defensive end. They need Cole to come back or pick up an experienced good PG transfer.
I"ll miss Polley, Whaley and Martin, but for all they did well, they were limited.
There are a lot of fluid pieces going into next year. I think that will be the true test for COACH Hurley. We'lll find out if he can get it done.

Reaction Score
Understood. But low oil in your car makes the engines job harder. But the engine still isn’t the problem. You need an oil change not an engine change
So he's great at recruiting but poor at roster construction and in game coaching. Where does that leave UConn?

Reaction Score
Yeah Jackson was pitiful always going for the steal and letting his player have the edge going to the basket. Just lazy defense. I hope we can recruit over AJ as he really isn't much of a player. No offense and suspect d. Yeah he can make a highlight pass and rebound well but we need more from our SF.
I too don’t and have never seen the love affair with Jackson. Superior athlete, yes. But well below average offensive player, horrible on ball defender, definitely below average BBIQ. So people love the spectacular play he makes once or twice a game?? Big deal, he typically offsets that with a multiple of poor plays.

Reaction Score
Hurley is not on the hot seat. Program is trending upwards and he is building a culture. Hurley could have cleaned house when he came to UConn, but he didn't and in the long run, it will pay dividends.

Look at Calhoun's first 7 years at UConn:

9-19, 20-14, 18-13, 31-6, 20-11, 20-10, 20-10, 15-13. For the 89/90 season (31-6), he brought in Nadav from Israel and that was the key and unexpected piece that pushed UConn to the Elite 8.

BTW, who didn't know that this team was vey flawed with no guard depth and poor shooting? Unfortunately, Diggins was not ready to compete this year at PG and I think you need to bring in another PG for next year as insurance for Diggins and to add depth. For UConn to be successful, we need 1 alpha point guard and 1 strong backup PG. Cole is more of a CG than a PG.
Let’s not pretend Calhoun and Hurley are starting with the same program

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Am I wrong or wasn’t the consensus on here at the end of last season that we would be taking a step back this year????
I was very concerned we were bringing back the same roster, most of whom were finished products as far as skills go. The board thought each would improve their games to make up for the lack of a Bouknight. Kind of finished with the same result.

Reaction Score
While the game plan wasn't great, Hurley uses the "we lost this game in the first half" excuse (usually effort vs strategy though) way too often, and he did it again in the post-game interview tonight. Yes, if we had taken care of business in the first half, we likely would have had a lead (probably a comfortable one) in the second half. But, either way, this game is winnable if we execute down the stretch.
Plus, whose fault is it for the lousy first half?? He trots out the same awful starting lineup every game and is surprised by a slow start?? Duh Danny, it’s happened like 20 games in a row now, get a grip!!

Reaction Score
Almost have it here. What I think it is, is Hurley forcing square pegs in round holes. You’re never going to have your perfect roster. Never. That means you need to be flexible. But he won’t. He makes guys play out of position, he assigns them roles they can’t fill because he simply won’t change his style.

There we’re comments about Carlton. Hell of a player. Better than Whaley or Polley. But he could not do what Dan wanted, so off he goes to Houston. It’s an example of the problem. He needs a flexible approach that maximizes the players he has.
Carlton wasn't being compared to Whaley or Polley. He played the exact same role as Sanogo, and Sanogo was better and younger.

Both first team all-conference.

Reaction Score
STOP
Hurley wasn't prepared and was outcoached by a nameless coach - he was horrid today - like a deer in the headlights
UConn players didn't play well/smart
Game over
Nameless coach? You must not watch much college basketball.

Chris Jans is 121-31 (79.6%) at New Mexico St. and he is 298-88 (77.2%) in his career including Juco years. In 15 seasons, he has never had a losing season and he has won at least 20 games every season except last year, the COVID season. 3 time WAC Coach of the Year. The guy is 52 and he is on the short list for big jobs this offseason.

Reaction Score
STOP
Hurley wasn't prepared and was outcoached by a nameless coach - he was horrid today - like a deer in the headlights
UConn players didn't play well/smart
Game over
Ok

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
That's a very good point on Carlton. I thought he was pretty bad and was regressing and then he goes to Houston and Kelvin Samspon has him playing great. That's an indictment on Hurley.
And he did it overnight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom