Is there any chance of convincing Syracuse and Pitt to come back? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is there any chance of convincing Syracuse and Pitt to come back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's not the TV contract. We need to play with them in '12 and '13 to keep our BCS berth. We need two new teams for next year so that when they leave, after '13, we have 8 schools who have played at least two years together.

Depite anything they say to their fanbases, Pitt and SU know this, and know they can't be allowed out early.

The fact remains they will still be Big East members when the new TV contract is negotiated. They will be discussed and an option will be on the table for a TV contract including them should they happen to remain in the Big East. In my opinion such a contract would be huge and would rival the PAC 12's recent blockbuster deal. The soonest the ACC could even discuss such a deal would be about 11 years away.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure it would be about cash alone. Stability is a huge incentive right now. I think you'd need a scenario like:
1) ACC is poached by SEC/ BIG 10.
2) 'Ville goes to Big 12.
3) BB onlies leave.
4) Big $$ contract from NBC/Comcast
- (in the 18 -20 mil per school range to guarantee future stability and pay for the ACC departure fee.)
5) One or more current ACC (Maryland/BC) teams go with them.

Obviously very remote.

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure it would be about cash alone. Stability is a huge incentive right now. I think you'd need a scenario like:
1) ACC is poached by SEC/ BIG 10.
2) 'Ville goes to Big 12.
3) BB onlies leave.
4) Big $$ contract from NBC/Comcast
- (in the 18 -20 mil per school range to guarantee future stability and pay for the ACC departure fee.)
5) One or more current ACC (Maryland/BC) teams go with them.

Obviously very remote.

Money creates stability. If the Big East is offered $20-$22m per school if they can keep Cuse and Pitt in the fold and have added enough teams that there are 14 football members (3 football only) and 19 olympic sports members the balance of power will also have shifted. The football schools would be calling the shots and the basketball schools wouldn't really have enough leverage anymore to create instability. The money will be there for the taking. It's pretty much gauranteed to be.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Remember when TCU was in the Big East? They changed their mind awful quick. What are the penalties to Pitt and Cuse if they back out of the ACC? Maybe they should be the next Big East expansion candidates. All it takes is money and a strong financial commitment to the league by all parties. Hopefully this is being explored in the halls of Providence and Comcast. I find it hard to believe that the idea of football games against Maryland, Duke, BC, and Virginia are really so exciting that it could not be overcome with money.

No offense, but this is just stupid.

Reaction Score
No offense, but this is just stupid.

See, that is why Fishy can get away with stuff I can't. I don't think far enough ahead to tell people "no offense" before I call their ideas stupid.

Reaction Score
Money creates stability. If the Big East is offered $20-$22m per school if they can keep Cuse and Pitt in the fold and have added enough teams that there are 14 football members (3 football only) and 19 olympic sports members the balance of power will also have shifted. The football schools would be calling the shots and the basketball schools wouldn't really have enough leverage anymore to create instability. The money will be there for the taking. It's pretty much gauranteed to be.

"Money creates stabilty." There you go, Heartbeat!

Thanks for being the first author on this illuminating topic.

More money (adding massive markets dallas, d.c., orlando, denver and orlando) for a Comcast deal and time (27 months the "back stabbers" must stay) are potent weapons the Big East can unleash.

The 27-month plan of attack is already causing cracks as cantor, gross, perdersen and nordenberg are looking foolish and their leadership is being questioned for jumping the gun without thinking it through. I'm sure they thought they would skate early like Nebraska, CU and Utah did. No way. And begging won't change our minds.

How ironic that the "back stabbers" must obey the rule that they help put in place in resposnse to bc, miami and vatech leaving. As Waylon eloquently stated, "they should have thought about that before they stabbed their conference members in the back."

27-months is a millennium in college football and there has to be some chance that if the "back stabbers" are held to this, they never play a down in that southern conference. It WILL be an enirely different landscape by that time. Comcast and ND will make sure of that

Reaction Score
27-months is a millennium in college football and there has to be some chance that if the "back stabbers" are held to this, they never play a down in that southern conference. It WILL be an enirely different landscape by that time. Comcast and ND will make sure of that

I don't know why people are rejecting this scenario so quickly when the facts are clearly there. The next contract will be negotiated before any of these schools are able to leave and if the BE is able to make it clear to them that Pac 12 type money or better is there for the taking if they just stay in the Big East I don't see why people think it's impossible. Hell, I don't care if Marrinatto tells them the league will cover whatever fees they incur by backing out of their new conferences just make it clear to them that we want them to stay and that there is more money here for them and the football league has been stabilized.

Reaction Score
"Money creates stabilty." There you go, Heartbeat!

Thanks for being the first author on this illuminating topic.

More money (adding massive markets dallas, d.c., orlando, denver and orlando) for a Comcast deal and time (27 months the "back stabbers" must stay) are potent weapons the Big East can unleash.

The 27-month plan of attack is already causing cracks as cantor, gross, perdersen and nordenberg are looking foolish and their leadership is being questioned for jumping the gun without thinking it through. I'm sure they thought they would skate early like Nebraska, CU and Utah did. No way. And begging won't change our minds.

How ironic that the "back stabbers" must obey the rule that they help put in place in resposnse to bc, miami and vatech leaving. As Waylon eloquently stated, "they should have thought about that before they stabbed their conference members in the back."

what is exit penalty for them, if they leave without ever playing ala tcu?

Reaction Score
what is exit penalty for them, if they leave without ever playing ala tcu?

I guess it depends on what the exit fee was when they made the agreement with the ACC to join. It will be either $16m which is what it was prior to the increase or the new fee of $20m. Big East should say, "look don't worry about that, we'll take care of it. Now how does $22m a year for the next 12 years sound?"

Reaction Score
I don't know why people are rejecting this scenario so quickly when the facts are clearly there. The next contract will be negotiated before any of these schools are able to leave and if the BE is able to make it clear to them that Pac 12 type money or better is there for the taking if they just stay in the Big East I don't see why people think it's impossible. Hell, I don't care if Marrinatto tells them the league will cover whatever fees they incur by backing out of their new conferences just make it clear to them that we want them to stay and that there is more money here for them and the football league has been stabilized.

"For the love of money"

Give me a nickel, brother can you spare a dime
Money can drive some people out of their minds
For the love of money
Got to have it - I really need it

For a small piece of paper it carries a lot of weight
Oh, that mean, mean, mean, mean, mean green

O'Jays
The Sound of Phlly

Instead of playing a song at the end of the 3rd quarters at home games of a 30ish year old pervert man singing a love song to a 12-year old girl named Caroline. The 'back stabber' should play the O'Jay's hits:

"For the Love of Money"
and
"Back stabbers"

It would be more appropiate and accurate

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's not the TV contract. We need to play with them in '12 and '13 to keep our BCS berth. We need two new teams for next year so that when they leave, after '13, we have 8 schools who have played at least two years together.

Depite anything they say to their fanbases, Pitt and SU know this, and know they can't be allowed out early.

There is a scenario where they get out early, UL, WVU and UC are poached by the Big XII and the ACC invites UConn and RU. With one football playing school remaining, I don't think the BE holds anyone to 27 months. Can the BB only schools hold all of the FB schools to it if they try to leave? How does the voting work in that scenario? Talk about burned bridges, if I'm UConn and this happens, I tell Georgetown and Nova we love playing them and will keep scheduling them if they let us out. Cuse could do the same.

Reaction Score
I guess it depends on what the exit fee was when they made the agreement with the ACC to join. It will be either $16m which is what it was prior to the increase or the new fee of $20m. Big East should say, "look don't worry about that, we'll take care of it. Now how does $22m a year for the next 12 years sound?"

Or Comcast pays it.

Plus the $5M desertion and abandonment penalty it doesn't have to pay.

Reaction Score
There is a scenario where they get out early, UL, WVU and UC are poached by the Big XII and the ACC invites UConn and RU. With one football playing school remaining, I don't think the BE holds anyone to 27 months. Can the BB only schools hold all of the FB schools to it if they try to leave? How does the voting work in that scenario? Talk about burned bridges, if I'm UConn and this happens, I tell Georgetown and Nova we love playing them and will keep scheduling them if they let us out. Cuse could do the same.

This is certainly true. If there are only 1 or 2 football teams left there is no way I see anyone being held for 27 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom