Is there any chance of convincing Syracuse and Pitt to come back? | The Boneyard

Is there any chance of convincing Syracuse and Pitt to come back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Remember when TCU was in the Big East? They changed their mind awful quick. What are the penalties to Pitt and Cuse if they back out of the ACC? Maybe they should be the next Big East expansion candidates. All it takes is money and a strong financial commitment to the league by all parties. Hopefully this is being explored in the halls of Providence and Comcast. I find it hard to believe that the idea of football games against Maryland, Duke, BC, and Virginia are really so exciting that it could not be overcome with money.

Reaction Score
Remember when TCU was in the Big East? They changed their mind awful quick. What are the penalties to Pitt and Cuse if they back out of the ACC? Maybe they should be the next Big East expansion candidates. All it takes is money and a strong financial commitment to the league by all parties. Hopefully this is being explored in the halls of Providence and Comcast. I find it hard to believe that the idea of football games against Maryland, Duke, and BC are really so exciting that it could not be overcome with money.

I agree. I've been making this point for a week now.

Reaction Score
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Reaction Score
Good God. They left not just for money, but to get in a league of higher prestige partners where everyone plays both basketball and football and no school is in a state not on the eastern seaboard. The same reasons that we would go if invited.

Seriously -- no one has anything more interesting to talk about than this?

Reaction Score
Good God. They left not just for money, but to get in a league of higher prestige partners where everyone plays both basketball and football and no school is in a state not on the eastern seaboard. The same reasons that we would go if invited.

It's a legit question. Thanks for your input. You're right conference realignment is boring. We should talk about picking up the blitz.

Reaction Score
Conference realignment is fascinating. But that doesn't mean that asking why we don't invite Ohio State to join the Big East wouldn't be a stupid question.

Syracuse and Pitt are gone. There are thousands of possibilities and permutations to discuss. Without a post lacking intellectual integrity and pretending that I had said we shouldn't discuss realignment.

Reaction Score
Conference realignment is fascinating. But that doesn't mean that asking why we don't invite Ohio State to join the Big East wouldn't be a stupid question.

Syracuse and Pitt are gone. There are thousands of possibilities and permutations to discuss. Without a post lacking intellectual integrity and pretending that I had said we shouldn't discuss realignment.

You're right, trying to maintain a current longtime partner and a founding member of the league is on the same level as trying to get Ohio State to join. Thanks for pretending I said that. And in the future i'll send my posts to you for approval so they can be judged for intellectual integrity. You have just achieved a new level Pomposity sir Business Lawyer. Your View from section 241 is duly noted.

Reactions: Fe
Reaction Score
Remember when TCU was in the Big East? They changed their mind awful quick. What are the penalties to Pitt and Cuse if they back out of the ACC? Maybe they should be the next Big East expansion candidates. All it takes is money and a strong financial commitment to the league by all parties. Hopefully this is being explored in the halls of Providence and Comcast. I find it hard to believe that the idea of football games against Maryland, Duke, BC, and Virginia are really so exciting that it could not be overcome with money.
TCU left a weak conference and said yes to the BE for the BCS connection and then said goodbye and went to (in their eyes) a third conference that aligns with their interests best. A similar situation for Pitt and Cuse would be for them to say goodbye ACC and yes to the SEC or Big 10. Money for the BE is lacking despite what people may want to believe about bringing in Houston (runs way behind Bevo in Houston for TV), Boise (talk about a weak market appeal but solid football), UCF (#4 or 5 in the FL market)and ECU (gotta love Greeneville demographics). Despite some people's firm belief that Comcast and Fox are going to be all over the BE for TV, I remain highly skeptical. And if I am the BB onlies, I really do not want my league games on any fledgling all sports network or loose affiliation of regionals when I am used to being nationwide on ESPN.

Reaction Score
TCU left a weak conference and said yes to the BE for the BCS connection and then said goodbye and went to (in their eyes) a third conference that aligns with their interests best. A similar situation for Pitt and Cuse would be for them to say goodbye ACC and yes to the SEC or Big 10. Money for the BE is lacking despite what people may want to believe about bringing in Houston (runs way behind Bevo in Houston for TV), Boise (talk about a weak market appeal but solid football), UCF (#4 or 5 in the FL market)and ECU (gotta love Greeneville demographics). Despite some people's firm belief that Comcast and Fox are going to be all over the BE for TV, I remain highly skeptical. And if I am the BB onlies, I really do not want my league games on any fledgling all sports network or loose affiliation of regionals when I am used to being nationwide on ESPN.
Ironically, SMU is a better school than TCU. And in a larger market. They used to play in Cowboy Stadium. The Longhorns might be more popular than the Cougars, but the bottom line is that many people will still watch.

Reaction Score

If you are the basketball schools you want money and what would make you think that NBC and Fox will not be all over it. All indications are that they would have been with Pitt and Cuse in the picture and I don't think losing them will simply cause the interest to evaporate. Also remember that the PAC 12 deal is so good because it is split between Fox and ESPN. The same thing could happen with the BE contract with any combination of those 3. ESPN will still want BE basketball even if they aren't high on BE football so there will still be demand out there for the BE TV contract.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The premise is faulty. Pitt and Fuse agree to stay. There is no exit penalty that the FB and BB schools could agree on that would keep Uconn, Ru, UL or WVU from immediately saying yes to the two spots in the ACC.

That above all else is why they left in the first place.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Boston College's recruiting has not improved since it went to the ACC. The most important thing for a successful athletic program is MONEY. That's how we can hire the best coaches who can attract the best recruits.

Reaction Score

C'mon, man, you don't even know how old this kid is. Be nice.

Reaction Score
No.

TCU's exit fee is $5 million, SU and Pitt would pay the ACC four times that. Are they really interested in coming back to a conference made up of UCF and Houston as opposed to one of Virginia Tech and Florida State? The ACC deal with ESPN will undoubtedly be much higher than the Big East's, even if they get Boise. Also, TCU left a conference for which they were a geographical outlier, for a conference which they sit smack dab in the middle of geographically. Comparing TCU to SU and Pitt is apples and oranges. Not to mention, if SU and Pitt reneg, the ACC is going to refill those two slots. Who do you think they'd come after first? If ND's not on the table, UConn and WVU would be on the phone immediately, and in all likelihood, would accept, save some massively creative and big plan from Marinade - which isn't happening.

Reaction Score
No.

The ACC deal with ESPN will undoubtedly be much higher than the Big East's, even if they get Boise.

What available information makes you think this? Or is it just an opinion based on how you feel about the potential composition of the new Big East? We know the ACC deal isn't going much higher than $15m per school based on available reports and they are locked in for the next 10 years.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This did get me thinking of what it might take for the two to stay. If I'm Syracuse, this is what it would take:

1. ND joins in all sports (#9)
2. BC Agrees to rejoin (#10)
3. Add Navy and as FB only (#11-12)
4. Invite MD, Penn State, VaTech, and UVA. They can join or not, but make a serious attempt once ND and BC sign on.
5. Obviously know ESPN or someone else is coming through with $18-20M/yr.

That's what I would want, and it brings to mind conclusion of the Humpty Dumpty saga.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I agree businesslawyer, UConn and Pitt and Syracuse will never be in the same conference again, ever. There is no point in planning or even hoping for such an eventuality.

Reaction Score
This did get me thinking of what it might take for the two to stay. If I'm Syracuse, this is what it would take:

1. ND joins in all sports (#9)
2. BC Agrees to rejoin (#10)
3. Add Navy and as FB only (#11-12)
4. Invite MD, Penn State, VaTech, and UVA. They can join or not, but make a serious attempt once ND and BC sign on.
5. Obviously know ESPN or someone else is coming through with $18-20M/yr.

That's what I would want, and it brings to mind conclusion of the Humpty Dumpty saga.

As crazy as it sounds, making this conference very northeast-centric might not be a good idea from a recruiting standpoint.

Reaction Score
I agree businesslawyer, UConn and Pitt and Syracuse will never be in the same conference again, ever. There is no point in planning or even hoping for such an eventuality.

I see what you did there. I do agree though that the ACC isn't happening for UConn unless other conferences go to 16, ND joins, or the SEC raids the ACC.

Reaction Score
What available information makes you think this? Or is it just an opinion based on how you feel about the potential composition of the new Big East? We know the ACC deal isn't going much higher than $15m per school based on available reports and they are locked in for the next 10 years.
They are not locked into that 10 years if new schools are added, which is what happened. There is no fathomable way that the Big East with a bunch of Conference USA schools will garner a higher TV contract than the ACC. It's just not happening. Get your head out of the clouds. With Boise, it could be a bit closer, but it won't be higher.

SubbaDub - Sure, SU and Pitt would come back under that scenario. Problem is, that scenario is not going to happen. We may as well invite Texas and Michigan to join as well.

Reaction Score
If the SEC raids the ACC, why would we want to join a conference without the piplines we are working on establishing? I actually think the SEC and B1G will both raid the ACC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom