Is it time to fire Geno? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is it time to fire Geno?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun

Reaction Score
So it begs the question: why is he still coach?
If Geno were ever forced to retire, he could join another program and use his worldly reputation to recruit directly against UConn which wouldn't be very hard for him to accomplish.

Of course he wouldn't want to hurt his UConn legacy. but he's only 66 years old.
Depending on the circumstances, Chris Daley would probably join him and so would many of his former players because they're very loyal to him.
UConn would become a national laughingstock.

The idea that Geno could be forced out is folly because he's such a legend.
It's okay to criticize him because he's in the public spotlight as a public figure, and that's how he's held accountable.
But there are boundaries that would lead to all of the powers that be to circle the wagons to protect Geno, the Huskies nation and the reputation & integrity of the whole State of Connecticut.
That's why he can't be fired or forced into retirement without just cause, such as a major scandal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If he were to get fired all those schools who shifted on his character the past decade would be lining up to make an offer I guarantee

Reaction Score
To Vowel guy....YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING US ALL....Are you trying to put a torch under our seats. NOWHERE can you find a better head coach for our program than our GENO. Did you intend to anger us???
The man is sharp as a tack and his age only adds to his genius. How would you like to handle our current shortage of guards? The thought of dumping our coach is insane. He will get us through it and understands how the level of play in women's basketball has increased. He will get us to the playoffs and hopefully have some top players ready at that time. GENO GENO GENO

Reaction Score
After reading the Boneyard for the past week, the sentiment is clear:
  • Geno has not developed his players
  • He plays his starters too long, thereby causing Paige's injury
  • Everyone knows that players improve only thru game experience and he is unwilling to play his extended bench
  • The offense stinks
I have not heard about anything that he does well. So it begs the question: why is he still coach?
Only if he loses two in a row.
HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

Reaction Score
Over many years the coaching staff have proven very capable of adapting and succeeding when unforeseen circumstances arise. Competing coaches and analysists have marveled at how the UCONN staff were able to make player adjustments with great success despite injuries and various player rotations. Rest assured the coaching staff will again come up with some wizardry to keep a winning drive going.

Reaction Score
What sarcasm? I'm merely restating the preponderance of posts.
images

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Maybe they'll even make a Hollywood movie about him.

i opened this thread with hopes of finding a few chuckles, and of course there indeed was a bit of BY wit ... but also the above brilliant idea, which some mogul can steal. go right ahead and merry christmas to her or him!

(or at least some BYer could work up a proposal on spec!)

Reaction Score
When Geno retires UConn WBB will go the way of LaTech, and Old Dominion faster than you can shake a stick. Be careful what you wish for. The only reason players come to UConn is because of Geno.
Don’t forget about the ice cream

Reaction Score
To pen a somewhat serious answer...

Geno has always been masterful out of managing what he has
He's in quite a tough spot now.
It may take a few games to sort out exactly how the group that is left functions.
And there very well could be losses ...which will further the howling to the moon.

In a strange sort of way, I could imagine him relishing moments like this.
Coaching is easy when you've got Stewie, Tuck and Moriah able to dominate
any situ.
This is different; there aren't enough bodies physically present...3 guards is one or two, too few. And he usually plays 3...now he can't

Its a real dilemma...He's got to put people on the floor who he doesn't really trust.

If he makes it work...medals and accolades...If he doesn't .....probably no one else could.

If another player breaks down...and I worry about Momma E...bloody disaster.
What's the tough spot? I don't see it. He still has the most talented team in the Big East. This is a perfect moment to see what the non-injured players have for mettle. Good chance this turns into a silver lining moment when one of the quieter kids on the roster gets the court time and attention to put it all together and become a "go-to" player for the first time. Looking forward to seeing what happens, assuming that it might be a choppy experience at the outset.

Reaction Score
Not likely!! Besides GENO still has to chase and overtake that
"other coach" for most NCAA D I Women's Basketball wins
in a career!!!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
What's the tough spot? I don't see it. He still has the most talented team in the Big East. This is a perfect moment to see what the non-injured players have for mettle. Good chance this turns into a silver lining moment when one of the quieter kids on the roster gets the court time and attention to put it all together and become a "go-to" player for the first time. Looking forward to seeing what happens, assuming that it might be a choppy experience at the outset.
I think its a tough spot when he's got only 3 guards and 3 forwards who have played much minutes this season with 1 guard (?) and 2 forwards, all with limited game-time experience in reserve.

Any combination of foul trouble, another injury, fatigue and we are in deep doggy-doo.

Reaction Score
The possibility of yet another injury or foul trouble is one of the reasons that some here wonder why bench players aren't given more time. And this is not new this season, but this season we see the Perfect Storm. Mir and Caroline have played little, and Amari and Piath not at all really. Of course, would be fun to watch Piath at the point.

Reaction Score
Apart from the snark, another misdirection:

"egs the question" does not mean "raises the question." I'm going to have that put on my tombstone, since I can see I'm fighting a losing battle.
It means nearly the opposite: "purports to answer the question while actually avoiding it."

Reaction Score
The possibility of yet another injury or foul trouble is one of the reasons that some here wonder why bench players aren't given more time. And this is not new this season, but this season we see the Perfect Storm. Mir and Caroline have played little, and Amari and Piath not at all really. Of course, would be fun to watch Piath at the point.
Thanks for proving my point.
#fireGeno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member