Is it the DL or the LBers? | The Boneyard

Is it the DL or the LBers?

Reaction Score
I get the new scheme and not having the players yet for the system. BUT, there is huge a problem setting the edge. We basically can't on any play. After we tied it up SMU, said any of this and just ran off tackle on us like we weren't even there.

We also have trouble with bubble screens. I'd go at our edges all day if I was an OC.

C

Chief00

I get the new scheme and not having the players yet for the system. BUT, there is huge a problem setting the edge. We basically can't on any play. After we tied it up SMU, said any of this and just ran off tackle on us like we weren't even there.

We also have trouble with bubble screens. I'd go at our edges all day if I was an OC.

Chief confirms. The other issue is it’s going to be even harder to recruit defensive linemen at this level when we never use more than three and they are doubled team the whole game. There are a lot of bad consequences to this D2 level type scheme.

Reaction Score
D1 then? If you can recruit 4 D1 linemen you wouldn’t use this scheme unless you are crazy.
You know it's used by more than just Crocker, right? RichRod's first year at Arizona they were 80th in defensive efficiency. They jumped to 22 and 27 the following two years

by your logic, no one would run a 3-4, either.

C

Chief00

You know it's used by more than just Crocker, right? RichRod's first year at Arizona they were 80th in defensive efficiency. They jumped to 22 and 27 the following two years

Usually only one DL gets doubled team in a 3-4 the way the gaps work and you rotate the 4 or 5 guys in the three spots and sometimes go with 4 in the red zone. Cocker doesn’t appear to even do that.
I believe the best defense is unrelenting pressure with an occasional change up. Conceding the first three yards on every play is an interesting approach. I did think our defense was incrementally improved until late but big picture it was poor.

Reaction Score
We can talk about schemes and personnel all day but the fact of the matter is that we don't have and pure hitters on this defense! I said it after game one and Coach Edsall confirmed it with the same comment in last weeks post game with Joe D. Someone needs to start making hits soon or we are going to continue to get steamrolled! We need a few Greg Loyds out there.....

Reaction Score
We can talk about schemes and personnel all day but the fact of the matter is that we don't have and pure hitters on this defense! I said it after game one and Coach Edsall confirmed it with the same comment in last weeks post game with Joe D. Someone needs to start making hits soon or we are going to continue to get steamrolled! We need a few Greg Loyds out there.....

They also don't have speed.

Reaction Score
They also don't have speed.
I don't understand how DBs don't have speed. It doesn't compute. I guarantee they clock fine - even Red Pants wasn't stupid enough to bring in physically slow DBs. The LBs are slow for this scheme and it puts ridiculous pressure on them because the 3 front doesn't eat up blockers and with 3 across they are stretched to the hilt covering a lot of ground. I don't care for the scheme at all ---at least with what we have to put on the field. If Joseph isn't making superhuman efforts, we would be even in worse shape. All we can do is watch and see if Crocker can pull this together I guess.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how DBs don't have speed. It doesn't compute. I guarantee they clock fine - even Red Pants wasn't stupid enough to bring in physically slow DBs. The LBs are slow for this scheme and it puts ridiculous pressure on them because the 3 front doesn't eat up blockers and with 3 across they are stretched to the hilt covering a lot of ground. I don't care for the scheme at all ---at least with what we have to put on the field. If Joseph isn't making superhuman efforts, we would be even in worse shape. All we can do is watch and see if Crocker can pull this together I guess.
I'm not sure that he was talking about the DB's specifically, but I think the DB's are playing slower than they should be because they don't have a full grasp on the scheme yet. There have been a lot of instances where they look like they're trying to not make a mistake as opposed to trying to make plays. Hopefully that'll change with more experience.

The LB's and DL's, on the other hand, are just flat out slow.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I think it is the linebackers overall. I like Diggs and Beavers speed, but the rest look slow for this defense.
Remember a 3-3-5 has a big nose and good size ends to clog up the lineman to let the linebackers run free to tackle.

Reaction Score
Britton flashes at times but at others he looks way too tentative. I'm hoping Levenberry and Beavers give us speed off the edge next year. Beavers is the one guy this year that comes with purpose on the blitz. With size and experience he's going to be a handful in this league.

Reaction Score
Next year's LB's will likely be the super talented Eli Thomas in the middle flanked by Beavers and TJ Gardner. They will be very good.

Huge improvement from the defense today. I loved the aggressive blitz packages. (no more delayed blitzes from the second level). Crocker showed me he can learn and adjust. The future is bright.

Last edited:

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score

SDSU runs it, too, and they held Stanford to 17.

Reaction Score
Next year LB's will likely be the super talented Eli Thomas in the middle flanked by Beavers and TJ Gardner. They will be very good.

Some guys here don’t and won’t get it. I’m done with convincing them.

Reaction Score

Granted, the scheme on D is questionable. But the DBacks are not fast, the eyeball test has demonstrated that again and again this year. Too many players who didnt have other D1 offeres. Too many FCS caliber players.

C

Chief00

Next year's LB's will likely be the super talented Eli Thomas in the middle flanked by Beavers and TJ Gardner. They will be very good.

Huge improvement from the defense today. I loved the aggressive blitz packages. (no more delayed blitzes from the second level). Crocker showed me he can learn and adjust. The future is bright.

Maybe I was watching the wrong game.

Reaction Score
Issue is more scheme and DB's. Three man front linemen occupy blockers, Lb's and in this scheme Db's have to make plays. 3-4 would work better on this roster and have seen Stapleton make plays on edge in past but seems to be on field less the last few games. Think we also lose Carrezola impact as lineman on three man front.

Reaction Score
Issue is more scheme and DB's. Three man front linemen occupy blockers, Lb's and in this scheme Db's have to make plays. 3-4 would work better on this roster and have seen Stapleton make plays on edge in past but seems to be on field less the last few games. Think we also lose Carrezola impact as lineman on three man front.
Carrezola has really struggled. Ormsby had been far more disruptive. Also like the kid 87, I think. He seems to get good lean against the OT, and pushes the pocket.

Reaction Score
Not enough pressure on QB or edges. If that means DB's are more on their own with WR's so be it. Current ease with which opponent offense move the ball and decide where to attack just makes no sense. Only reason didn't give up another 400 yard passing game is how easy SMU got to over 200 yards rushing.
Unless these are exhibition games coaches should be doing best to win, if this is best they can get out of defensive personnel after 4 games it looks like 1-11 really is in the cards. Giving up 541.8 yards per game is a lot, 125th worst out of 129. Only our buddies from ECU and Tulsa plus one Sun Belt team keep us from topping (or is it bottoming) the list.
I don't care what type of scheme want to base defense on, just use personnel so current 3 best lineman and 3 best linebackers have chance to perform. It's like Ollie having Shabazz's 2014 team and deciding "got to pound it inside to Brimah"; hmmm, maybe problem here is Brimah can't catch, pass or shoot the ball and if you want to win you need to play "guard" ball. These are not the 1987 Bears on defense but these coaches have them playing like the "bad news bears".

Reaction Score
Not enough pressure on QB or edges. If that means DB's are more on their own with WR's so be it. Current ease with which opponent offense move the ball and decide where to attack just makes no sense. Only reason didn't give up another 400 yard passing game is how easy SMU got to over 200 yards rushing.
Unless these are exhibition games coaches should be doing best to win, if this is best they can get out of defensive personnel after 4 games it looks like 1-11 really is in the cards. Giving up 541.8 yards per game is a lot, 125th worst out of 129. Only our buddies from ECU and Tulsa plus one Sun Belt team keep us from topping (or is it bottoming) the list.
I don't care what type of scheme want to base defense on, just use personnel so current 3 best lineman and 3 best linebackers have chance to perform. It's like Ollie having Shabazz's 2014 team and deciding "got to pound it inside to Brimah"; hmmm, maybe problem here is Brimah can't catch, pass or shoot the ball and if you want to win you need to play "guard" ball. These are not the 1987 Bears on defense but these coaches have them playing like the "bad news bears".
So you're just another person who wants to abandon the scheme that the DC was hired to implement? We were 108 in defensive efficiency last year and lost good players on top of that. Look at all the freshman that start and see significant time. The only way they're going to get better is to learn the scheme.

Reaction Score
Chief confirms. The other issue is it’s going to be even harder to recruit defensive linemen at this level when we never use more than three and they are doubled team the whole game. There are a lot of bad consequences to this D2 level type scheme.

You do understand that a big reason several programs moved to the 3-3-5 is that it is far more difficult to recruit impact D-Lineman than it is to recruit DB's, correct? It's a big reason why W.Va went to this scheme and ran it to perfection during RichRod's tenure.

Among other things, What the Huskies are lacking is adequate depth at DL, quickness at LB (as many have posted) and experience at DB (again, as many have posted).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom