Is it the DL or the LBers? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is it the DL or the LBers?

Reaction Score
So you're just another person who wants to abandon the scheme that the DC was hired to implement? We were 108 in defensive efficiency last year and lost good players on top of that. Look at all the freshman that start and see significant time. The only way they're going to get better is to learn the scheme.
Why always the false narrative of only two choices, "either" go scheme 100% or abandon 100%.
Not inside DC or HCRE head, but guessing they are rational guys, they do not want to give up 541.8 yards per game. Do what next? If you tell me they aren't trying to think up something then I say fire 'em now. If they are trying to think of something I have a suggestion - what you are doing now is 126th best out of 129 teams so "a minor tweak" here or there isn't a bad idea as you might move down 3 more places if it fails but you have 125 places to move up if some of it works.

When I think about situations like this re performance I ask questions like this:

Would I have HIRED this guy as a head coach if he told me his 1st season he would treat OOC games as "exhibition games".

Would I have HIRED this guy as DC if he told me after 4 games (with our schedule including FCS opponent and 0-3 ECU) he would have my defense as 126th best yardage defense (and trending down as were 124th the previous week) that gives up 45 more yards per game passing than the next worst team?

Reaction Score
Why always the false narrative of only two choices, "either" go scheme 100% or abandon 100%.
Not inside DC or HCRE head, but guessing they are rational guys, they do not want to give up 541.8 yards per game. Do what next? If you tell me they aren't trying to think up something then I say fire 'em now. If they are trying to think of something I have a suggestion - what you are doing now is 126th best out of 129 teams so "a minor tweak" here or there isn't a bad idea as you might move down 3 more places if it fails but you have 125 places to move up if some of it works.

When I think about situations like this re performance I ask questions like this:

Would I have HIRED this guy as a head coach if he told me his 1st season he would treat OOC games as "exhibition games".

Would I have HIRED this guy as DC if he told me after 4 games (with our schedule including FCS opponent and 0-3 ECU) he would have my defense as 126th best yardage defense (and trending down as were 124th the previous week) that gives up 45 more yards per game passing than the next worst team?
All good questions.

Reaction Score

What are the "minor tweaks" that they should be doing that they aren't?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm going with both DLine and LB's need upgraded.

DE's weren't recruited for a 3 down linemen scheme. They do a poor job setting the edge because they aren't built to set the edge.

LB's don't have speed to recover if they make a poor initial move. So many times SMU was able to bounce outside and outrun the LB's trying to recover.

I was actually bullish on the pass rush UConn made yesterday. It's 2017. Top teams are going to score. No more sitting back with a bend and break.

The freshmen DB's were better than I expected. I had to laugh at the TD run down the left side and see a white #1 jersey ten yards behind the play.

Beavers looks like a keeper. He came hard and fast on blitzes and looks the part.

Reaction Score
What are the "minor tweaks" that they should be doing that they aren't?
Pay me FBS type DC money with a 3 year deal and I'll tell you.

Reaction Score

Pretty much all of our issues are related to speed or young players being out of position. Yesterday we got killed on the cutbacks because after taking a step or two inside our OLB's were not fast enough to get back into position. It looked like we were standing still compared to the SMU running backs. Two touchdowns that we gave up were safeties letting their guy get behind them. I'm not sure what you want to do there except for put the safeties 20 yards off the ball, but then people will just complain about all the completions underneath. One of the few times we did go to man-man press coverage the freshman corner whiffed and let his guy run right by him.

The staff is clearly trying to change things. It just doesn't seem to be helping.

Reaction Score
We are only 4 games in and I can't recall ever seeing so many wide receivers effortlessly run past our D backs and make easy, easy catches for TDs. Some of it is inexperience which will improve with time but the lack of speed is something we just have to live with this year. We can improve on defense and I think we will but we are just not going to be very good this year no matter what changes are made to the scheme or personnel in my view. Hopefully we can hold a few opponents under 30 points where the improving offense might be able to outscore them.

Reaction Score
Pay me FBS type DC money with a 3 year deal and I'll tell you.

So basically..."the coaches should be doing something differently, I don't know what it is, but they need to do it."

Defense was terrible last year and got worse as the year went on. They also recruited terribly the past 3 years by any measure. I don't know why its so unrealistic that they could just be this bad. Especially early in the season with a lot of inexperienced players playing

Reaction Score
So basically..."the coaches should be doing something differently, I don't know what it is, but they need to do it."

Defense was terrible last year and got worse as the year went on. They also recruited terribly the past 3 years by any measure. I don't know why its so unrealistic that they could just be this bad. Especially early in the season with a lot of inexperienced players playing
there is a reason we are starting and playing a bunch of true freshman and RSFR. A lot of people just don't want to admit that a lot of the players aren't very good

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
It's all three. We don't have enough depth to pressure the point of attack and we don't have the DBs to buy the pass rush time to get pressure. Need more talent.

Reaction Score
Had to watch the ESPN3 replay, wedding obligation yesterday. Have no idea why we slant our D lineman to the short side of the field and have no outside pressure so the QB can stand there and survey the field for a receiver as our wideside D end is swallowed up between the tackle and guard. That player should be outside the tackle to start the play. Hard to stop the run with LBs so far off the ball. Need to walk more LBs up even if they are not going rush and at least make the o line have indecision in their heads as to who to block. When Oak had the bad snap in the 4th Q, SMU had 7 guys on the line and we had empty backfield with only 5 blockers. Players are missing tackles or just enough out of position so they can't make a play. Definitely need more speed. With all the young DB's we are not tackling the way Edsall defensive backfields did in the past which goes on all game and adds up to big yardage. When SMU got to 35 we had 3 LB's standing in a line like the punt protect wall covering no one. Which brings me to the blocked punt. Those 3 players for UCONN can't let one guy block the punt by standing there and letting him get that close. Attack and block him for cripes sake. That was a huge game changing play that we let happen.

Reaction Score

See jdb50 post right after yours for a few of the nonsensical line up schemes the defense is using. Yes it is unrealistic that we have the 126th best defensive personnel out of 129 in all of FBS football. The starting 3 down lineman are at the very least modestly below average and the Fat man is probably NFL free agent worthy. They are playing well below their pay grade 'cause they can't do the impossible. Arkeel Newsome could run against our defense the way we utilize the front 6 (even with our offensive line).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom