Iowa St - Potential Dynasty | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Iowa St - Potential Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Interesting topic on the Iowa St board

When you do the analysis, and see they have made the round of 32, the round of 32 and the sweet 16 (at least) in the past 3 years, it shows phenomenal progress.

These are the 3 best season in the entire history of Iowa St. It represents about 1/3 of their total wins in the NCAA.

Wow.

Unstoppable force at this time.

What is the point of this? When did UConn become a schoolyard bully? We bitch about Syracuse, Duke and Kentucky fans for crap like this. We bitch about how FSU and others perceive our football team. Let's have some class. There is nothing to dislike about Iowa State. They are proud of their school and justifiably encouraged about their future. I was on campus when UConn won the NIT, and we burned couches in the Jungle quad. It was a turning point, but I'm sure if message boards like this existed then, some idiot at Carolina, Indiana or Kentucky might have pissed on our enthusiasm. F them. Let's not become what we hate.

Reaction Score
Honestly, the overwhelming question for ISU is do they keep Hoiberg? Either from an NBA job or a better college gig.
Hoiberg was born and raised in Ames. He was a ball boy for ISU. Played at ISU. Married his high school sweetheart. Has called ISU his dream job. Him and his wife are near all of their family and they love raising their kids in Ames. Fred will not leave for another college basketball gig. He simply won't. Feed believes he can turn ISU into Kansas, Michigan, Duke, UNC, UConn, etc. and that is his goal.

As far as the NBA goes....ISU fans do not see Fred leaving for the NBA until his kids are college age or beyond. Fred also has a heart condition that requires him to wear a pacemaker and the belief is he would not want the added stress of an extended NBA season. Fred also played under Tim Floyd and Floyd is a mentor. For those of you who don't know, Floyd went from ISU to the Bulls and then the Hornets in the NBA. It was a short spell and then back to college at USC and then cast to UTEP. It is my belief that Fred has talked to Floyd about the benefit of staying at ISU.

Fred can write his own contract at ISU. He currently has a 10 year $20 million contract that will likely be increased.

Personally, I don't see him leaving ISU for 5-8 years and only then to the NBA

Reaction Score
Right. Normally, the NBA isn't white hot for a guy with 4 career NCAA wins, but when you consider its not George Mason or Butler but Iowa St?

If you can win at Iowa St, you have to be very, very good.
Hoiberg's stint in the Timberwolves front office makes him much more likely than a lot of college coaches to make the jump.

Reaction Score
This thread is lame. sdhusky, perhaps you weren't a fan in the early 90's, but you have to build from somewhere. ISU is clearly on the rise.
This was going to be my question. I seriously don't know what UConn was like before Calhoun. Kinda just average in the 70's and 80' right. Maybe a handful of sweet sixteens?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The next motherf---er who drags a thread over here from another board is gonna go on vacation.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Dynasty is a strong word but I don't see why they can't be the second best program in the Big 12 after Kansas as long as Hoiberg is around. It's not exactly a conference littered with good basketball schools. Kansas State has already fell off once Huggybear left and Texas will be their usual up-and-down, underachieving self under Barnes.

He's that good of a coach IMO to bring them to that level. Who knows if they'll ever be national contenders or a real powerhouse though. Having a 25-year-old as your best player doesn't hurt either lol.

Based on his magical runs to the final 32 or his magical run to the sweet 16?

I mean, how many coaches can make the sweet 16? Can't be more than a dozen or so each year, right?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I hear that they are the best team in their elevator.

Reaction Score
This was going to be my question. I seriously don't know what UConn was like before Calhoun. Kinda just average in the 70's and 80' right. Maybe a handful of sweet sixteens?
We were more of a regional team that competed very well in the Northeast but we were not anything close to a national power. Our Yankee Conference rivals were the likes of URI, Umass, Holy Cross, BC...well you get the picture.We played on a green rubber court with a roof that had a few well placed leaks.

Reaction Score
Dynasty?

I have been reading Iowa State lately. Kane? That's a freaky story how a 25 year old talent plays 3 solid scoring years at Marshall and then lands for this last year to lead you to this level. Yes ... there are others. But, I don't think we are seeing a yearly harvest at Iowa State like some others (like say Michigan State or Texas or Kansas). Hoiberg is worth a lot. And I do think they can elbow their way into a solid number 2 in their conference. Elevated? Sure.

Reaction Score
Fred also has a heart condition that requires him to wear a pacemaker and the belief is he would not want the added stress . . .
If that's the case, please ensure that he's installed a new set of batteries prior to playing our Huskies at the Garden.

Too much? :oops:

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Good god the Boneyard has really become insufferable since the Nova win.

Can we cut down on these fuking stupid threads and get more mojo posts please?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If that's the case, please ensure that he's installed a new set of batteries prior to playing our Huskies at the Garden.

Too much? :oops:

I might have gone with, let's hope his batteries run out mid game. But that would have definitely been too much.

Reaction Score
1 E8
3 S16
13 NCAAs
18 Regular Season Conference Titles

It's pretty good, but certainly not the peaks Calhoun brought us to.

Reaction Score
To understand their wording you have to look at where ISU and UConn diverge. Both are large state schools (30k students) who have an amazing amount of support for their programs. Both are pretty much rural but with big cities within close proximity. Both are maligned and are not cornerstone properties in a power conference, though there is zero reason why they couldn't be. UConn has Boston and NYC, notably more, but ISU pulls heavily from KC/Minneapolis/Chicago, which isn't something to sneeze at either. Ironically they both are located in close proximity to insurance capitals of the world; which in order goes London, Hartford, then Des Moines.

But where they are both different is in consistency. UConn is on its third coach since the 40s. ISU has had three coaches in the past decade. After Johnny Orr revitalized the program (still the winningest coach at both Michigan and Iowa State), they had Floyd generate four years of success before the Bulls took him. Then Eustachy had four years of success before boozing with coeds took him. Then they had a couple guys who couldn't do anything, including McDermott who couldn't even recruit his own son.

Look at all the schools out there whose success is tied to a few coaches who stay for a very long time (UCLA/UNC/Duke/Syracuse/Indiana/Arizona anyone?). This is what builds programs from good to great. This is what builds dynasties. So, when they talk about that, what they're hoping for is that Hoiberg, who has more wins in his first four years than anyone in the program's history including a conference title and a winning record in the NCAAs, can stick around for a decade or more and build up the program to match the support the fans give it.

I guarantee you what ISU fans want is what UConn has built. They could do it too, if they just had a great coach who stuck around longer than a degree cycle.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Honestly, the overwhelming question for ISU is do they keep Hoiberg?
zoidberg.jpg

Where would he go?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
But where they are both different is in consistency. UConn is on its third coach since the 40s. ISU has had three coaches in the past decade.

Huh? Both Dee Rowe and Dom Perno coached in just the four years I attended. I think there have been two more since then.

Reaction Score
It's an overstatement from the perspective of fans of a team that has won 3 NCs but it's probably fine in context of the B12, though they have a long way to truly pass KU.

UConn was a BE dynasty before it was a regular NC contender.

UL and Rick Pitino get laughed at for saying they are a dynasty after a FF and a NC, rightfully if they don'tget to the final four at least this year. The term Dynasty is overused.

Why you... Couldn't help but take a shot at my screen name, could you?

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Huh? Both Dee Rowe and Dom Perno coached in just the four years I attended. I think there have been two more since then.

Ha, my bad. How about I say it this way....ISU had six coaches during Calhoun Era

Reaction Score
Whoever used the term "Dynasty" in that original thread was "quite optimistic" IMO. It's been a wild ride for ISU fans this year, so the kool-aid is flowing a bit too much for some. The conf tourney title, the Big 3 playing amazingly well together, and a slew of big wins this year have the fan base brimming with confidence towards the program moving forward.

I don't feel ISU is about to become the next Kansas, but the Cyclones have the 2nd most Big 12 conference game wins over the last 3 seasons. They have arrived as legit player in the conference picture. I expect that trend to continue as one of the Big 12's top programs. I think Hoiberg can win a conf title in the future, but I'm not going to expect that to just happen. I'm more focused overall on solid conference finishes, Conf tourney wins, and doing some damage in the NCAA tourney. I do love the fact that Fred has managed to win all 3 opening NCAA games. No quicker way to thud out a season than to lose that 1st game.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Honest question Cy:

Can ISU position themselves to where they are clearly ahead of Texas, OSU & Baylor in men's hoops?

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
In all sincerity, Iowa really isn't that bad of a place. It's different from here, no question, but it's a good place with lots of nice people. It has a nice sort of laid-back no pressure kind of feel to it, at least compared to the Northeast.

Reaction Score
Honest question Cy:
Can ISU position themselves to where they are clearly ahead of Texas, OSU & Baylor in men's hoops?

As far as being "clearly" ahead of those programs...that's Kansas territory and that's it. So I guess by that admission the answer would likely be no. Again i don't expect world domination, I just want a consistent top type program in the Big 12, and so far Hoiberg is creating that resume.

ISU was included with OSU, Baylor, and Texas in top 25-30 recruiting class rankings for 2013. So I feel that Fred can recruit that type of talent, albeit with a transfer and juco slant which the other programs won't necessarily attach themselves to. That class for ISU featured a couple top 100 freshmen recruits so it's not just transfers pushing that ranking up.

Again as I pointed out, the 2nd most Big 12 wins over the last 3 years points to ISU at least having equal footing against some of the more prominent named programs such as OSU/Texas.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In all sincerity, Iowa really isn't that bad of a place. It's different from here, no question, but it's a good place with lots of nice people. It has a nice sort of laid-back no pressure kind of feel to it, at least compared to the Northeast.

An attorney I worked with here outside Boston quit his job at the Fortune 150 company we both work for, and took a job in Iowa. Pay was comparable, cost of living was about half. Unlike me (born in Johnson Cty. KS) he had no history in the midwest, but visited and thought it would be a great place for him and his family. Let's not imagine that being 1-2 hours from NY is some magic elixir. Anyone can fly there when they want, and I think most Americans wouldn't want to live in metro NY, with its cost, congestion etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom