Iowa St - Potential Dynasty | The Boneyard

Iowa St - Potential Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Interesting topic on the Iowa St board

Not that I am looking past this year or even next, but looking at our roster two years from now I can't help but think we are looking to be a perennial powerhouse in basketball for quite some time with the Mayor at the helm...

Two years from now we will still have Niang, Nader, McKay and Long as seniors, Thomas & Morris as juniors and Custer as a sophmore. Granted there is a chance we may lose one of those guys to the pro's early (I could see Monte being that guy), but without adding ANYTHING to that team, we would be contenders to win the Big 12 with those 7...

I don't see us going anywhere but trending upwards in recruiting also...

Truly great to be a Cyclone right now...I thought I had it good back in 2000 when I was in school!

Thoughts??

When you do the analysis, and see they have made the round of 32, the round of 32 and the sweet 16 (at least) in the past 3 years, it shows phenomenal progress.

These are the 3 best season in the entire history of Iowa St. It represents about 1/3 of their total wins in the NCAA.

Wow.

Unstoppable force at this time.

Reaction Score
While I think the term "dynasty" shouldn't have been used in that post, I believe it is more in regards to the direction the program seems to be heading in. After the Eustachy debacle and McDermott running the program into the ground, Iowa State fans are excited to see the team headed in the right direction. Coach Hoiberg has done a tremendous job in a very short period. We, as fans, are incredibly enthusiastic of what potentially lies ahead for the team/program.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
When you do the analysis, and see they have made the round of 32, the round of 32 and the sweet 16 (at least) in the past 3 years, it shows phenomenal progress.

These are the 3 best season in the entire history of Iowa St. It represents about 1/3 of their total wins in the NCAA.

Honestly, the overwhelming question for ISU is do they keep Hoiberg? Either from an NBA job or a better college gig.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
While I think the term "dynasty" shouldn't have been used in that post, I believe it is more in regards to the direction the program seems to be heading in. After the Eustachy debacle and McDermott running the program into the ground, Iowa State fans are excited to see the team headed in the right direction. Coach Hoiberg has done a tremendous job in a very short period. We, as fans, are incredibly enthusiastic of what potentially lies ahead for the team/program.

I guess going from always sucking to not sucking is a pretty big deal for you guys?

What would happen if you won 2 bowls games in the next 3 years? Football dynasty?

Reaction Score
Hoiberg is a great coach and has the program going in the right direction fast.

No reason he cannot take them to the next level and be a power in the Big 12.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Why not? He's an alum and ISU is a B12 gig, they have resources. Their chance of keeping Hoiberg is similar to our chance of keeping Ollie.

You know Iowa St is in Iowa, right?

Reaction Score
I guess going from always sucking to not sucking is a pretty big deal for you guys?

What would happen if you won 2 bowls games in the next 3 years? Football dynasty?

Iowa State poster on Iowa State board is excited about current and potential future successes of Iowa State. You don't say!

That "2013 Boneyard Poster of the Year" tag, that's sarcasm, right?

Reaction Score

As I previously stated, the word "dynasty" shouldn't have been used. If you just want to bash Iowa State or attempt to get into a pissing contest to prove how superior UConn and the state are compared to ISU/Iowa, have fun...

I just urinated so probably won't be able to entertain you in that regard.

caw

Reaction Score

Wow.

Unstoppable force at this time.

It's an overstatement from the perspective of fans of a team that has won 3 NCs but it's probably fine in context of the B12, though they have a long way to truly pass KU.

UConn was a BE dynasty before it was a regular NC contender.

UL and Rick Pitino get laughed at for saying they are a dynasty after a FF and a NC, rightfully if they don'tget to the final four at least this year. The term Dynasty is overused.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Why not? He's an alum and ISU is a B12 gig, they have resources. Their chance of keeping Hoiberg is similar to our chance of keeping Ollie.

I'm thinking more of NBA. It depends on what his goals are (I don't know). What we know of Ollie seems to indicate he'll be here a long time, if they'll have him.

Reaction Score
OP seems like kind of an ass, especially by doubling down with his follow-up. They've got a young, good team and they're excited for the future. What's the problem?

Reaction Score
It has always served UConn well that despite people trying to day Storrs is a cow town, CT has many cities with decent basketball and NYC and Boston are 2.5 and 1.25 hours away respectively. UConn is not in Iowa or Kansas by any stretch.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
I'm thinking more of NBA. It depends on what his goals are (I don't know). What we know of Ollie seems to indicate he'll be here a long time, if they'll have him.

Right. Normally, the NBA isn't white hot for a guy with 4 career NCAA wins, but when you consider its not George Mason or Butler but Iowa St?

If you can win at Iowa St, you have to be very, very good.

Reaction Score
Right. Normally, the NBA isn't white hot for a guy with 4 career NCAA wins, but when you consider its not George Mason or Butler but Iowa St?

If you can win at Iowa St, you have to be very, very good.

http://www.sportsworldnews.com/arti...iberg-getting-offers-from-nba-teams-video.htm.

I don't see (and really hope) Coach Hoiberg departing for the NBA anytime soon unless it is the perfect situation in his mind. He has made a comfortable living as a player, in the Timberwolves front office and as the coach at Iowa State. He loves Ames, Iowa State and is highly family oriented. His wife is from Ames and they have 4 children currently attending school in Ames. That being said, you never know.

Reaction Score
It all depends on your definition of dynasty. They probably won't take over Kansas as the premiere team in the league but they have improved their profile over the years. Becoming a consistent top 25 program isn't out of the question.

Reaction Score
Dynasty is a strong word but I don't see why they can't be the second best program in the Big 12 after Kansas as long as Hoiberg is around. It's not exactly a conference littered with good basketball schools. Kansas State has already fell off once Huggybear left and Texas will be their usual up-and-down, underachieving self under Barnes.

He's that good of a coach IMO to bring them to that level. Who knows if they'll ever be national contenders or a real powerhouse though. Having a 25-year-old as your best player doesn't hurt either lol.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Pitt has been to the Dance 12 of the past 13 years. That's more than UNC. Same as Kentucky

Anyone think Pitt is a dynasty?

Reaction Score
I guess going from always sucking to not sucking is a pretty big deal for you guys? What would happen if you won 2 bowls games in the next 3 years? Football dynasty?
Is there a need for this?
Our football team sucks and we're in a island-of-misfit-toys conference. Maybe a little humility would do us good here.

I'm happy for them, in any event. I liked Royce White's game a lot. If they beat us, I'm rooting for them the rest of the way.

That said, this isn't the midwest - cyclones die out quickly in NY.

Reaction Score
Lefty2one said:
Having a 25-year-old as your best player doesn't hurt either lol.
Strummer said:
That said, this isn't the midwest - cyclones die out quickly in NY.
FWIW, Kane is ONLY 24...:D Cyclones may die out quick but have been known to sweep a few huskies away once in a while:p Actually, thinking about that makes me sad:(

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Is there a need for this?
Our football team sucks

we have as many bowls wins in the last 10 years as ISU has in the last 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom