IOWA -2.5 | The Boneyard

IOWA -2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What an amazing accomplishment for this team and we’re still dancing and now we’re playing with house money IMO! The future is bright and as the saying goes if they want to get us they better get us this year because the Calvary is a coming!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What an amazing accomplishment for this team and we’re still dancing and now we’re playing with house money IMO! The future is bright and as the saying goes if they want to get us they better get us this year because the Calvary is a coming!
I think we were playing with house money last night.

Reaction Score
Often, the analytics are less biased than selection committees and polls. The Net rankings, Massey, the ESPN computer model - they all had us as a top contender.

The polls get influenced by social media, and our team is not very active there. Our rankings, therefore tended to be less favorable.

Our performance is among the top few in both offense and defense. Iowa is the top offense and outside the top 100 in defense.

Again, I like our chances!

Reaction Score
How about that crazy over/ under of 163 total points? That calls for both teams scoring over 80 points each.
If that is correct UConn will lose by 20. The only way it gets to that level is if CC goes crazy and UConn forget how to play defense and that IS NOT going to happen. UConn matches up better with Iowa than any other team they have played this season and that doesn't bode will for Iowa. UConn will win and I don't expect it to be within a couple points.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I think we were playing with house money last night.
Even before the bracket was finalized, I felt that the Sweet 16 was "par" for this group. Anything more would be increasing levels of amazing overachievement.

Now here we are improbably in the Final Four, with what would probably be at least a top 20 team by themselves sitting on the bench injured. Our margin for error is practically zero going forward.

We apparently have a team that gives no respect to odds, margins or pundits opinions. Super-Paige, Aaliyah and Nika lead a group of 3 freshman who seem to have unlimited belief in themselves and another that needs constant reminding of how good she can be.

Even Geno, CD, JJ, Tonya and Morgan who created this, seem blown away by the team's success.

As Jamelle said, let's just keep riding the wave...

Reaction Score
I said it before and I'll say it again.......I BELIEVE! I believe in this team that they have earned the respect of every coach in Women's BB. Uconn has a destiny this year and now has the team to follow that destiny to the end------ The N.C. Five catastrophic injuries couldn't stop Uconn and the players now really believe, also. that the Trophy is there for them to win. Paige and Aaliyah and Nika AND our Fabulous Freshmen are playing outstanding BB this year. GO FRESHMEN!!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Reaction Score
Even before the bracket was finalized, I felt that the Sweet 16 was "par" for this group. Anything more would be increasing levels of amazing overachievement.

Now here we are improbably in the Final Four, with what would probably be at least a top 20 team by themselves sitting on the bench injured. Our margin for error is practically zero going forward.

We apparently have a team that gives no respect to odds, margins or pundits opinions. Super-Paige, Aaliyah and Nika lead a group of 3 freshman who seem to have unlimited belief in themselves and another that needs constant reminding of how good she can be.

Even Geno, CD, JJ, Tonya and Morgan who created this, seem blown away by the team's success.

My surf board is waxed up and ready to go!!!!! GO HUSKIES

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Catch a wave.

Reaction Score
Frankly, I'm shocked that UConn has made it this far with such a diminished squad........that said their chances against Iowa are fairly good as they're finally playing against a team that is inferior athletically and equal in size..........

Reaction Score
their chances against Iowa are fairly good
I said it from the start: if Paige & Co make it to the final four Iowa is a team they match up well with. They’re sort of like Creighton but with an offensive superstar added in. But Nika knows how to defend Caitlyn. Also, finally, this won’t be another “physical” game. Lisa Bluder doesn’t coach that sort of team play. They are all players on Iowa.

The last time they met in Portland, it was Azzi and Aaliyah who led an injury depleted squad past them, and but for Kate Martin shooting way over her lifetime average from 3, it would have been a blow out. So far, it’s been the Caitlyn show and the rest of the team hasn’t shot all that well, though they’ve been really scrappy and focused otherwise. If that trend continues, I like our scrappy kids to win over their scrappy kids.

Reaction Score
I said it from the start: if Paige & Co make it to the final four Iowa is a team they match up well with. They’re sort of like Creighton but with an offensive superstar added in. But Nika knows how to defend Caitlyn. Also, finally, this won’t be another “physical” game. Lisa Bluder doesn’t coach that sort of team play. They are all players on Iowa.

The last time they met in Portland, it was Azzi and Aaliyah who led an injury depleted squad past them, and but for Kate Martin shooting way over her lifetime average from 3, it would have been a blow out. So far, it’s been the Caitlyn show and the rest of the team hasn’t shot all that well, though they’ve been really scrappy and focused otherwise. If that trend continues, I like our scrappy kids to win over their scrappy kids.
UConn certainly has a good chance but don't sell this particular Iowa team short..........they are serious competitors as they showed against a talented LSU team............

Reaction Score

Maybe Caitlin, Bone Dog?

By the way, they're sort of like Creighton how?

I suspect Nika might find Caitlin a different player, emotionally and especially physically, than 18 months ago.

a team that is inferior athletically and equal in size..........
As you said in an ensuing message, Charlie, 'don't sell Iowa short'... many here assume the Hawkeyes are just a bunch of back-country kids who happen to have Clark as a teammate. I've watched nearly all of their games and I'll opine that Iowa is an athletic team, and probably stronger, person for person, than the Huskies.

LSU was the first team to out-rebound Iowa since back in the regular season. I will predict a UConn win 'cause I'm foremost a Huskies fan, but Iowa is eight or nine deep and never seems to tire.

My wish for the game is that both Paige and Caitlin enjoy good games, and foul trouble for anyone on either side isn't a factor.

Reaction Score
Maybe Caitlin, Bone Dog?

By the way, they're sort of like Creighton how?

I suspect Nika might find Caitlin a different player, emotionally and especially physically, than 18 months ago.

As you said in an ensuing message, Charlie, 'don't sell Iowa short'... many here assume the Hawkeyes are just a bunch of back-country kids who happen to have Clark as a teammate. I've watched nearly all of their games and I'll opine that Iowa is an athletic team, and probably stronger, person for person, than the Huskies.

LSU was the first team to out-rebound Iowa since back in the regular season. I will predict a UConn win 'cause I'm foremost a Huskies fan, but Iowa is eight or nine deep and never seems to tire.

My wish for the game is that both Paige and Caitlin enjoy good games, and foul trouble for anyone on either side isn't a factor.
I was speaking in comparison to some of the other tough teams that UConn has played already........would agree that both Duke (the #3 defense in the country) and USC were more athletic than UConn and USC was much taller at every position than UConn?.......I don't think even Iowa fans would deny that they aren't the quickest or most athletic team in the Final Four.......Iowa is not a great defensive team..........what they have is great team chemistry and work ethic similar to UConn's. and that's what potentially makes it such a great match up........Iowa's edge is in the shooting department and UConn will be hard-pressed to keep Clark under control both as a shooter and as a willing passer.......if Affolter, Martin and Marshall etc are on their game it's going to be really tough to beat them but if they are having a bit of an off day then it's UConn's game to win......

Reaction Score
Of course, I’m pulling for UConn to win but it’s pretty clear this team (Iowa) is greatly improved everywhere but in the post. Czinano was a force in those earlier teams and is now gone. The guards around Clark are much better and will make this game more competitive than the previous ones.

Reaction Score
Iowa is the smartest team that UConn will face this season. They move well and their #2 and #3 players have scored over 20 points each this past game. That's at least 3 top scorers. They play fast and run all game. They are similar in height and athletics. They are more experienced across the board. IMHO it will be a close game. A "who has the ball last" type of game. UConn defense is stronger, but Iowa shooters have been a little more consistent recently. Go UConn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom