Interview with Delany | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Interview with Delany

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just ask them. I didn't go to BC, but I listen to them. It's Penn State that was isolated in its conference. Not BC it its. Both now have a few northern neighbors. Penn State has Rutgers and Maryland. BC has Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and Notre Dame (who supposedly has a lot of fans in Massachusetts).
Well if BC fans say so, it must be true. The distance from BC to Syracuse (BC's closest ACC "neighbor") is about the same distance as PSU was to OSU and slightly shorter than PSU to UM. If PSU was isolated (as you stated) in the B1G before RU and UMd joining, then what does that make BC in the ACC today? BC's next nearest geographical "rival" in the ACC is UVa, followed by Pitt. For comparison sake, PSU had 7 B1G opponents within a similar distance before adding UMd and RU, it now has 9. Keep trying.

Reaction Score
Well, hi Dr. Sullivan. I'm so glad you decided to stop by.

Stimp, although it is my opinion as well that UVA isn't joining the B10, how do YOU know for sure. Unless you are in the inner circle of the administration of UVA, you don't know what you they are thinking. In fact, your posting is becoming very reminiscent of Buckaineer's. You present your opinions as absolutes and rip on everyone who has the audacity to question it. I get it, you don't want or think that UVA will be moving to The Big10.

I'm of the opinion that Michigan and OSU are not leaving the Big10. That being said, I really don't know if they are planning on leaving. For all I know, they may be starting a new mega conference with UNC, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Texas, and Oklahoma, USC, USC, Stanford, ND, PSU, LSU, UConn, and Rutgers. They might even be planning on joining the Big12 (so they can bring in the full value of their T2/3). I have no clue as I'm not a top administrator at either school. And if The UMD to The Big10 taught us anything, many of the higher ups at Maryland didn't know either.

I have asked the UVA AD while shaking his hand to his face. The ACC has a very bright future, brighter than it has ever had, and UVA is very excited to be a part of it. Demographically it makes no sense to change conferences, and they think Maryland has made a collossal mistake for a short term influx of funds that ultimately won't be substantially more than they would have received anyway.

Reaction Score
We're not coming in the next 75 years. And good luck trying to convince the citizens of New Jersey to want to watch Rutgers. It will be a challenge. NYC? No way! UConn is a great choice for many reasons. And many here want to join the Big Ten. Please invite them. BC is no longer isolated, and they don't feel that way either.

I agree UCONN would be a great choice for The B1G. Combining them with RU, UMD and another team located approx between North Carolina and Washington DC would make The B1G a boatload of money. For your mental benefit I won't mention that school by name. I realize that you are having a difficult time coming to terms with the inevitable, so I got you a book to aid in your transition. I can't wait to see the revised edition with The Turtle, Knight, Husky and Orange and Blue Zoro on the cover.

gobigtenforblog.jpg

Reaction Score
I have asked the UVA AD while shaking his hand to his face. The ACC has a very bright future, brighter than it has ever had, and UVA is very excited to be a part of it. Demographically it makes no sense to change conferences, and they think Maryland has made a collossal mistake for a short term influx of funds that ultimately won't be substantially more than they would have received anyway.
Yeah, because if UVA were considering joining the B1G, the AD would definitely tell some no-name fan...

You've straight up entered troll status.

Reaction Score
Then your continued presence here is not necessary.

Come back in 74 1/2 years.

You really are f* *ing dumb.

(Our daily reminder that the profanity filter is off the wall....it even edited my attempt to edit -word by removing an asterisk. Eventually, "profanity filter" will be edited by the profanity filter.)

If the conversation is about the Big Ten Conference, I won't be commenting. I don't know much about it, and I'm not interested really. I just can add when the comment is about about UVA, which this one was. I do know what UVA thinks.

Reaction Score
Yeah, because if UVA were considering joining the B1G, the AD would definitely tell some no-name fan...

You've straight up entered troll status.
He wasn't evasive. He was quite specific in his comments. I'm not prepared to call him a liar.

Reaction Score
I agree UCONN would be a great choice for The B1G. Combining them with RU, UMD and another team located approx between North Carolina and Washington DC would make The B1G a boatload of money. For your mental benefit I won't mention that school by name. I realize that you are having a difficult time coming to terms with the inevitable, so I got you a book to aid in your transition. I can't wait to see the revised edition with The Turtle, Knight, Husky and Orange and Blue Zoro on the cover.

gobigtenforblog.jpg

Yuk! No thank you. That Illini has potential, but that's about it.

Reaction Score
I know that UConn fans want the ACC to blow up as sure as folks in hell want a glass of ice water.....but I think that the ACC will be still be doing fine a decade from now.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I know .....but I think that the ACC will be still be doing fine a decade from now.
That would be a shame. It does tickle me a bit that the ACC will forever be little brother to the other power conferences from now on, though.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
My only take away from the article is that UConn has as many national championships in Mens Basketball than 3 of the 5 P5 conferences — combined.

UConn does, and that is what makes UConn a very attractive addition for a P5 in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Just like an ACC fan to have an article handy. ACC supporters are certainly well versed in their propaganda.

By the way, I didn't read it. I don't need to. I'm right, regardless. Some part of you deep inside knows it too; you wouldn't be so prepared to argue otherwise.

I'm prepared because the West Virginia mafia has done nothing but bash the ACC for two years now with false information. I like to have correct information prepared. It looks like the Dude has finally given up though, which is a good thing.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
My only take away from the article is that UConn has as many national championships in Mens Basketball than 3 of the 5 P5 conferences — combined.

Wow, that's really impressive huh? My guess is that this is just men's championships right? Geez, we are leading the entire B1G (football and basketball) 4-3. If this counts women's championships, then UCONN has the second largest combined CONFERENCE total but I'm pretty sure this is just counting mens basketball and football.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

I think you have much to offer in this discussion. I abhor the groupthink that goes on most message boards and your ACC/UVA perspective is very valuable. This post adds to the discussion.

I'm prepared because the West Virginia mafia has done nothing but bash the ACC for two years now with false information. I like to have correct information prepared. It looks like the Dude has finally given up though, which is a good thing.

Much like the WVU Mafia, all you do is bash the B10.

Reaction Score
Much like the WVU Mafia, all you do is bash the B10.

The intention is to defend and promote the ACC. It is the best conference and certainly the best conference for UVA. If it sounds like bashing the Big Ten, sorry. That's unintended. If it sounds like I'm bashing the SEC or Big XII, sorry.

Reaction Score
Wow, that's really impressive huh? My guess is that this is just men's championships right? Geez, we are leading the entire B1G (football and basketball) 4-3. If this counts women's championships, then UCONN has the second largest combined CONFERENCE total but I'm pretty sure this is just counting mens basketball and football.

Yes it is just men's. But 4 Men's basketball national championships is very impressive. UConn has done that with 2 different coaches. What the UConn women have done is also very impressive, but this particular article was only looking at men's basketball and football.

I look at those 4 Men's championships and think wow, if UConn were in the ACC for that time combined with Miami who won 2 Football Championships and Louisville who won a men's basketball championship, the ACC would be ahead of the SEC in this comparison. Not in football, but overall.

UConn will be in a P5 conference eventually. 14 is a bad number for scheduling, and the ACC, Big Ten, and SEC are all at this bad number. It's only a matter of time. Unfortunately everyone is focused on getting this NCAA thing straightened out first. But that won't take forever.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes it is just men's. But 4 Men's basketball national championships is very impressive. UConn has done that with 2 different coaches. What the UConn women have done is also very impressive, but this particular article was only looking at men's basketball and football.

I look at those 4 Men's championships and think wow, if UConn were in the ACC for that time combined with Miami who won 2 Football Championships and Louisville who won a men's basketball championship, the ACC would be ahead of the SEC in this comparison. Not in football, but overall.

UConn will be in a P5 conference eventually. 14 is a bad number for scheduling, and the ACC, Big Ten, and SEC are all at this bad number. It's only a matter of time. Unfortunately everyone is focused on getting this NCAA thing straightened out first. But that won't take forever.

I agree that 14 is not an ideal number.

Since you believe realignment is not that far off I ask you 3 questions:

1)What is a good number for The P5 Conferences to be at?

2)You obviously believe that The ACC is off limits, do you feel the same way about the Big 12?

3)Hypothetically The ACC has survived. Who are the teams you believe that The B1G, SEC, and ACC could target(outside of the obvious UCONN) to get to their final rosters?

Reaction Score
I agree that 14 is not an ideal number.

Since you believe realignment is not that far off I ask you 3 questions:

1)What is a good number for The P5 Conferences to be at?

2)You obviously believe that The ACC is off limits, do you feel the same way about the Big 12?

3)Hypothetically The ACC has survived. Who are the teams you believe that The B1G, SEC, and ACC could target(outside of the obvious UCONN) to get to their final rosters?

1) IMO. 16 or 20. It enables the 4 POD scheduling of either 4 per POD or 5 per POD. That is the most flexible scheduling.

2) The Big XII is totally dependent on what Texas wants. If Texas wants to keep the Big XII together, the Big XII will stay together. If Texas wants to do something different, there is no Big XII. Its footprint is too small for a network, and Texas has their own. Those other 9 schools are at the beck and call of Texas. That's not anything I want my school do. Texas is now being shown up by Texas A&M. So I think Texas could get ancy, and boom, no more Big XII at least as a P5.

3)The SEC could target West Virginia, Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Kansas, Kansas State. The B1G wants contiguous and AAU. That's Iowa State, Kansas, Vanderbilt, Missouri, Virginia, etc. But UVA isn't coming. Two of those others might, and UConn is interested. The ACC would probably target schools from the AAC including UConn, Cincinnati, Tulane, South Florida, Central Florida, Temple, or from the Big XII in West Virginia, Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, etc.

The ACC has to determine where it wants to end up 16 or 20. If it is 16, I say add UConn and offer Navy or BYU as football only until we sort out what Notre Dame will end up doing. If it is 20 then there are a lot of other possibilities.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
1) IMO. 16 or 20. It enables the 4 POD scheduling of either 4 per POD or 5 per POD. That is the most flexible scheduling.

2) The Big XII is totally dependent on what Texas wants. If Texas wants to keep the Big XII together, the Big XII will stay together. If Texas wants to do something different, there is no Big XII. Its footprint is too small for a network, and Texas has their own. Those other 9 schools are at the beck and call of Texas. That's not anything I want my school do. Texas is now being shown up by Texas A&M. So I think Texas could get ancy, and boom, no more Big XII at least as a P5.

3)The SEC could target West Virginia, Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Kansas, Kansas State. The B1G wants contiguous and AAU. That's Iowa State, Kansas, Vanderbilt, Missouri, Virginia, etc. But UVA isn't coming. Two of those others might, and UConn is interested. The ACC would probably target schools from the AAC including UConn, Cincinnati, Tulane, South Florida, Central Florida, Temple, or from the Big XII in West Virginia, Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, etc.

The ACC has to determine where it wants to end up 16 or 20. If it is 16, I say add UConn and offer Navy or BYU as football only until we sort out what Notre Dame will end up doing. If it is 20 then there are a lot of other possibilities.

As far as hypothetical CR guesses go, this isn't too bad.

Reaction Score
Is it just me? Or does the conference "strength" that conference fans banter back and forth about seem to be mostly about football?

Basketball programs are good or not good, but seem to stand more on their own merits.

I am not really a conference fan, I am primarily a fan of my school. I could care less about Louisville, BC, Syracuse, etc. and do follow Miami and Clemson. But when SEC and Big 12 fans talk conference strength...it is almost wholly a measure of football strength.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I am not really a conference fan, I am primarily a fan of my school. I could care less about Louisville, BC, Syracuse, etc. and do follow Miami and Clemson.
And this is why CR has absolutely killed college sports for me. Yeah, I follow UConn, but I used to love cheering for and hating Big East teams. Whether basketball or even football in the BCS era. Now? No one cares about anyone but themselves. These conferences are all messes of schools thrown together with zero history. Sure there's a core group in each conference, but overall, these fan bases have nothing to hate about schools in their own conference. College sports are all about rivalries and with all this CR, they have successfully crushed a large amount of these rivalries.

Reaction Score

Ah yes, the "West Virginia mafia". As a UVA fan, it must have been funny when those clueless bloggers were boasting that UVA "had delivered its signed BiG application to the BiG offices", about 4 days before the ACC announced its GOR with the signature of every ACC team - including UVA.

I also find it interesting that when the BiG, B12, and Pac10 had GORs and the ACC did not, all of the conventional wisdom among these bloggers and others was that the GORs were unbreakable and the ACC was about to break apart because they did not have a GOR (as a number of teams were all looking for an out and did not want to tie themselves to the ACC). Once the ACC signed its GOR, however, the popular wisdom among these bloggers and fans shifted. All of a sudden, magically, the GORS were not the bullet-proof documents they were before the ACC signed theirs.

Funny how that works!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member