Interview with Delany | The Boneyard

Interview with Delany

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you guys can stand it, it's on scarletnights.com: http://www.scarletknights.com/news/release.asp?prID=14870#.U2RIyXlOXBR

Good stuff at the end:

Q. What’s the significance to the Big Ten Network’s profile with Rutgers and Maryland joining and the markets they bring?
JD:
“We have to get distribution. It’s more complicated than just getting on some cable systems. We want to have it on the same basis that exists in Illinois and Michigan. This is an outer-market, somewhat-distributed situation. And it has to be an in-market situation, where we have the same kind of relationship we have in the East as we do in the Midwest. And it didn’t just happen in the Midwest. It was a hard fight. It was difficult. So people here should not expect it to be simple and easy. It wasn’t simple and easy when we started and it won’t be here.

“I think it’s got to be demanded by the people. If the people don’t demand it then there’s probably not a great business reason to have it. So it’s not a layup. But it’s not a halfcourt shot, either. I think it could happen. But Maryland fans and Rutgers fans have to know it’s a phenomenal asset for a conference to have a 24/7 network that serves men’s programs, women’s programs, institutional interests. But it’s not a given. If you look around the country, if it was a given everybody would have one. The Big East would have one, the ACC would have one, the Big 12 would have one. But that’s not the way it is. It’s not easy and I don’t think that anybody should expect that it will be easy. I think it will be a challenging situation, but most things that are good are challenges and take time to develop.”

Reaction Score
huh? the Big East?

Seriously, why doesn't UConn just show the increase in carriage rates SNY charged after they got uconn, more than it would take to get the BTN on same basic tier in CT, to Delaney.

I feel like everyone is just taking stupid pills

Reaction Score
huh? the Big East?

Seriously, why doesn't UConn just show the increase in carriage rates SNY charged after they got uconn, more than it would take to get the BTN on same basic tier in CT, to Delaney.

I feel like everyone is just taking stupid pills
Did you miss the "it takes time" part? This isn't Bewitched. Delany can't just twitch his nose to get what he wants. There's a plan. Plans have steps. Steps take place in a given order. That takes time. At this point, Delany isn't even sure Rutgers/MD is going to work. He acknowledges it'll be a tough job. Why add complexity (UConn) to a job that's already so difficult you're unsure of the ultimate result? Better to understand the challenges of adding the (geographically) closest major universities to D.C. and NYC before moving to consolidate a position there. We're next; we're close. Don't worry.

Reaction Score
Did you miss the "it takes time" part? This isn't Bewitched. Delany can't just twitch his nose to get what he wants. There's a plan. Plans have steps. Steps take place in a given order. That takes time. At this point, Delany isn't even sure Rutgers/MD is going to work. He acknowledges it'll be a tough job. Why add complexity (UConn) to a job that's already so difficult you're unsure of the ultimate result? Better to understand the challenges of adding the (geographically) closest major universities to D.C. and NYC before moving to consolidate a position there. We're next; we're close. Don't worry.
You couldn't be more right. By adding Rutgers and Maryland, the Big 10 is "all in" on the east coast. No one, not even Delaney, thought that the addition of these two schools alone would accomplish much of anything. It was phase one of a process and the reasons those two schools were chosen first was simply because they better fit the more traditional profile of the conference. We have talked at great lengths about where UConn stands, but the truth is that UConn with the others schools already affiliated is the missing link to the east coast for both conferences. From day one, UConn and the administration has showed no panic for our situation, atleast far less than they should if we are to believe they are being left out, and there is good reason for it.

Reaction Score
You couldn't be more right. By adding Rutgers and Maryland, the Big 10 is "all in" on the east coast. No one, not even Delaney, thought that the addition of these two schools alone would accomplish much of anything. It was phase one of a process and the reasons those two schools were chosen first was simply because they better fit the more traditional profile of the conference. We have talked at great lengths about where UConn stands, but the truth is that UConn with the others schools already affiliated is the missing link to the east coast for both conferences. From day one, UConn and the administration has showed no panic for our situation, atleast far less than they should if we are to believe they are being left out, and there is good reason for it.
Yes it takes steps, but at the same time, if he's all in in the northeast then he better invite UCONN PDQ. I think the ACC needs to invite us just to survive in the Northeast market. Both Delaney and John Swofford know that whichever conf gets UCONN, then that conf almost immediately locks the other out of the NYC/New England market. Delaney might be forced to invite us much much sooner than he would like.

Reaction Score
UConn definitely has that demand in Connecticut and that sliver of NYC's DMA. There is absolutely no doubt about that. If Delany can't get it done in New Jersey, then he picked the wrong school. Simple as that.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
UConn definitely has that demand in Connecticut and that sliver of NYC's DMA. There is absolutely no doubt about that. If Delany can't get it done in New Jersey, then he picked the wrong school. Simple as that.
It's amazing he is counting on the Rutgers' fan base to create demand.

And there was plenty of panic in the UConn administration when Pitt and Cuse announced they were leaving. I think they were too stunned to show panic when the ACC picked UL.

Reaction Score
Yes it takes steps, but at the same time, if he's all in in the northeast then he better invite UCONN PDQ. I think the ACC needs to invite us just to survive in the Northeast market. Both Delaney and John Swofford know that whichever conf gets UCONN, then that conf almost immediately locks the other out of the NYC/New England market. Delaney might be forced to invite us much much sooner than he would like.
I think Delany is moving with all deliberate speed. He knows the end game and he's moving those pieces that he believes will get him there. Trouble is he, at best, is unsure of how to deploy the pieces or, at worst, knows there are gaps/unknowns that have yet to be figured out. Thus, he must proceed with a degree of caution.

The ACC, on the other hand, doesn't appear to have a coherent, coordinated agenda. Without an "end game" position they are as directionless as a leaf in a tornado. Hence the "every man for himself" attitude among the members. How else does ND get in as a partial member? How else does Louisville get in at all? As long as the ACC continues as an organization without a leader they will fall farther and farther behind.

Reaction Score

And there was plenty of panic in the UConn administration when Pitt and Cuse announced they were leaving. I think they were too stunned to show panic when the ACC picked UL.
I think Delany is counting on product (B1G sports) coupled with customer affinity (Rutgers/B10 alums) to drive demand.

Reaction Score

What panic there was resulted from timing, i.e., the need to speed up what we were doing athletically. Has there been any significant change in direction on UConn's part?

Reaction Score
I think Delany is moving with all deliberate speed. He knows the end game and he's moving those pieces that he believes will get him there. Trouble is he, at best, is unsure of how to deploy the pieces or, at worst, knows there are gaps/unknowns that have yet to be figured out. Thus, he must proceed with a degree of caution.

The ACC, on the other hand, doesn't appear to have a coherent, coordinated agenda. Without an "end game" position they are as directionless as a leaf in a tornado. Hence the "every man for himself" attitude among the members. How else does ND get in as a partial member? How else does Louisville get in at all? As long as the ACC continues as an organization without a leader they will fall farther and farther behind.

+1
This is a good post. Delany appears to have a cogent plan in place and the resolve to see it through despite the struggles he knows the conference will face.

OTOH ACC expansion has felt reactionary and without regard to a bigger vision. They left a school like BC isolated for nearly a decade, when any number of Big East Teams could have eased their transition. They later take a school like Louisville which was light years behind UConn academically, and only marginally better than them in football over the previous decade.

I remain a believer that The B1G's Plan is focused entirely on easternward expansion. Kansas and Missouri have both coveted conference membership in the past and both could have been had on more than one occassion w/o the entanglement of grant of rights agreements. Neither have recieved an offer to date.

IMO Delany's original plan was to shake the ACC up enough with a UMD offer in order to grab UVA and UNC. The ACC closed ranks with their GOR and subsequent lawsuit against The Terps. The outcome of this lawsuit will be telling for how hard he will continue to pursue the one ACC Property that makes the most sense for The B1G, UVA. UCONN could be free and clear in 27 months. It will be interesting to see unfold.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
What panic there was resulted from timing, i.e., the need to speed up what we were doing athletically. Has there been any significant change in direction on UConn's part?
Do you mean change in UConn's athletic direction? Would you see a change in direction as panic or confidence? Other than canning PP, which was more in response to the horrible results of the football season than any grand plan, I don't see it. The HE move was in the works already, and actually may make it easier to join B1G hockey and more difficult if the chance should come. The basketball practice facility was also in the works, but has been made a priority by the present administration. I do think the academic side has changed direction dramatically under Herbst, but it was her reason for being hired in the first place. It has the benefit of making us more attractive to the B1G, but I don't think that was the original intention.

Reaction Score
+1
This is a good post. Delany appears to have a cogent plan in place and the resolve to see it through despite the struggles he knows the conference will face.

OTOH ACC expansion has felt reactionary and without regard to a bigger vision. They left a school like BC isolated for nearly a decade, when any number of Big East Teams could have eased their transition. They later take a school like Louisville which was light years behind UConn academically, and only marginally better than them in football over the previous decade.

I remain a believer that The B1G's Plan is focused entirely on easternward expansion. Kansas and Missouri have both coveted conference membership in the past and both could have been had on more than one occassion w/o the entanglement of grant of rights agreements. Neither have recieved an offer to date.

IMO Delany's original plan was to shake the ACC up enough with a UMD offer in order to grab UVA and UNC. The ACC closed ranks with their GOR and subsequent lawsuit against The Terps. The outcome of this lawsuit will be telling for how hard he will continue to pursue the one ACC Property that makes the most sense for The B1G, UVA. UCONN could be free and clear in 27 months. It will be interesting to see unfold.

We're not coming in the next 75 years. And good luck trying to convince the citizens of New Jersey to want to watch Rutgers. It will be a challenge. NYC? No way! UConn is a great choice for many reasons. And many here want to join the Big Ten. Please invite them. BC is no longer isolated, and they don't feel that way either.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We're not coming in the next 75 years. And good luck trying to convince the citizens of New Jersey to want to watch Rutgers. It will be a challenge. NYC? No way! UConn is a great choice for many reasons. And many here want to join the Big Ten. Please invite them. BC is no longer isolated, and they don't feel that way either.

Then your continued presence here is not necessary.

Come back in 74 1/2 years.

You really are duck*ing dumb.

(Our daily reminder that the profanity filter is off the wall....it even edited my attempt to edit -word by removing an asterisk. Eventually, "profanity filter" will be edited by the profanity filter.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Delany needed help from the SEC or Big 12 to grab Florida State and. Clemson in order to grab even UVa. Even though UVa and UNC are apparently happy where they are, I'm sure they were considering alternatives when it looked like the ACC could be falling apart. It looks like the ACC is good for at least ten more years in terms of not losing teams. The ND partial membership makes it tricky as to whether they will try to add any teams such as UConn, which will help BC's isolation issue.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The problem with the SEC expanded with ACC teams is which ACC teams would they expand with?

Florida State and Clemson aren't worth anything to them. Virginia would be like Rutgers in the Big Ten only with less hope and NC State is an afterthought in Carolina.

They'd really have to aim for a UNC/Duke combo and that wasn't going to happen this year.

Reaction Score
If you guys can stand it, it's on scarletnights.com: http://www.scarletknights.com/news/release.asp?prID=14870#.U2RIyXlOXBR

Good stuff at the end:

Q. What’s the significance to the Big Ten Network’s profile with Rutgers and Maryland joining and the markets they bring?
JD:
“We have to get distribution. It’s more complicated than just getting on some cable systems. We want to have it on the same basis that exists in Illinois and Michigan. This is an outer-market, somewhat-distributed situation. And it has to be an in-market situation, where we have the same kind of relationship we have in the East as we do in the Midwest. And it didn’t just happen in the Midwest. It was a hard fight. It was difficult. So people here should not expect it to be simple and easy. It wasn’t simple and easy when we started and it won’t be here.

“I think it’s got to be demanded by the people. If the people don’t demand it then there’s probably not a great business reason to have it. So it’s not a layup. But it’s not a halfcourt shot, either. I think it could happen. But Maryland fans and Rutgers fans have to know it’s a phenomenal asset for a conference to have a 24/7 network that serves men’s programs, women’s programs, institutional interests. But it’s not a given. If you look around the country, if it was a given everybody would have one. The Big East would have one, the ACC would have one, the Big 12 would have one. But that’s not the way it is. It’s not easy and I don’t think that anybody should expect that it will be easy. I think it will be a challenging situation, but most things that are good are challenges and take time to develop.”

If FB is so important, why all the BB metaphors?

Reaction Score
The problem with the SEC expanded with ACC teams is which ACC teams would they expand with?

Florida State and Clemson aren't worth anything to them. Virginia would be like Rutgers in the Big Ten only with less hope and NC State is an afterthought in Carolina.

They'd really have to aim for a UNC/Duke combo and that wasn't going to happen this year.

Good points. If the rumors are true, FSU did have discussions with the SEC, and they were rejected. Hard to believe with Florida being a big state. I could definitely see the SEC rejecting Clemson. Virginia would bring a new market to either the Big Ten or the SEC, but perhaps would be only thought of as a bridge or lure to get UNC or Duke. But all this is moot for now and at least ten years away. UConn is the only attractive missing piece available for the Big Ten or ACC now and in the near future.

Reaction Score
There really aren't that many non P5 programs in the east that are that attractive to an expanding P5 conference.

UConn, UCF, Cincinnati, USF, etc., etc.

Each has its strong and weak points. I do believe that UConn would be the next to go.

If the ACC restructures to North-South or to pods, UConn would lose any resistance from the southern schools (and the recent ACC request re championship games could impact the use of pods).

If the B1G wants to solidify its eastern division, UConn seems the answer.

If the Big 12 wants an eastern pod in expansion, UConn would be an invitee.

It seems that it must happen in time.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
BC is no longer isolated, and they don't feel that way either.
Where do you come up with this ridiculous thought? Does Syracuse really make BC feel "included" now in the ACC map? Please....this whole thought is absurd. If the ACC adds UConn, sure I'll buy BC being now a part of the mix. Until/if ever that happens, BC will remain isolated.

Reaction Score
Where do you come up with this ridiculous thought? Does Syracuse really make BC feel "included" now in the ACC map? Please....this whole thought is absurd. If the ACC adds UConn, sure I'll buy BC being now a part of the mix. Until/if ever that happens, BC will remain isolated.
This is far too logical to be far from the truth. The irony is that BC's feverish pursuit of "easy money" in the ACC and subsequent obstinate opposition to UConn ends up making them a ludicrous after thought in their own conference. With a vision that myopic no wonder Swofford was all over them.

Reaction Score

It's almost irrelevant now. I do think Syracuse could help them a bit by being paired up, BUT BC's AD is in a tailspin, and you can really see this with their coaching hire for BB. Death throes there. They might be Wake Forest-ing themselves into oblivion.

Reaction Score
It's almost irrelevant now. I do think Syracuse could help them a bit by being paired up, BUT BC's AD is in a tailspin, and you can really see this with their coaching hire for BB. Death throes there. They might be Wake Forest-ing themselves into oblivion.
Just as the ACC itself is Wake Forest-ing itself into irrelevancy.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

Well, hi Dr. Sullivan. I'm so glad you decided to stop by.

Stimp, although it is my opinion as well that UVA isn't joining the B10, how do YOU know for sure. Unless you are in the inner circle of the administration of UVA, you don't know what you they are thinking. In fact, your posting is becoming very reminiscent of Buckaineer's. You present your opinions as absolutes and rip on everyone who has the audacity to question it. I get it, you don't want or think that UVA will be moving to The Big10.

I'm of the opinion that Michigan and OSU are not leaving the Big10. That being said, I really don't know if they are planning on leaving. For all I know, they may be starting a new mega conference with UNC, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Texas, and Oklahoma, USC, USC, Stanford, ND, PSU, LSU, UConn, and Rutgers. They might even be planning on joining the Big12 (so they can bring in the full value of their T2/3). I have no clue as I'm not a top administrator at either school. And if The UMD to The Big10 taught us anything, many of the higher ups at Maryland didn't know either.

Reaction Score
Just ask them. I didn't go to BC, but I listen to them. It's Penn State that was isolated in its conference. Not BC it its. Both now have a few northern neighbors. Penn State has Rutgers and Maryland. BC has Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and Notre Dame (who supposedly has a lot of fans in Massachusetts).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom