Indiana Post Game Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Indiana Post Game Thread

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Why do people always confuse athleticism and measurables with talent? Cam Spencer won't win any athletic and size competitions against other high major D1 basketball players but he's an extremely talented player.
I agree with your statement. Mgbako was the 8th rated recruit in the country last year. Did he score yesterday. I did note the difference between physical talent and basketball talent. That is why I love the college game. You don’t need to be Giannis or Wemby or Tatum , I can keep on going…..but the point is players like TN and CS are fun to watch and we will win a lot of basketball games with them. Unfortunately the people who run NBA teams make decisions on physical talent when they draft a player. AS was the best player in CBB last year. I would not have traded him in season for any other player in the country last year. But he will be challenged to make a NBA game day roster because of the way players are evaluated. With Castle back and CS and TN we have the best back court in CBB. But only one of those players will be drafted.

Reaction Score
the point to my brother that this indiana team looked like a bit like a late-career kevin ollie team. they kept hanging around, getting close, then making a series of mistakes. finally, their spirit was broken and it turned into a blowout.
Who was louder?
I thought it felt like certainly more Indiana fans, early on they were louder but as the game progressed and they started losing we were louder

Reaction Score
I agree with your statement. Mgbako was the 8th rated recruit in the country last year. Did he score yesterday. I did note the difference between physical talent and basketball talent. That is why I love the college game. You don’t need to be Giannis or Wemby or Tatum , I can keep on going…..but the point is players like TN and CS are fun to watch and we will win a lot of basketball games with them. Unfortunately the people who run NBA teams make decisions on physical talent when they draft a player. AS was the best player in CBB last year. I would not have traded him in season for any other player in the country last year. But he will be challenged to make a NBA game day roster because of the way players are evaluated. With Castle back and CS and TN we have the best back court in CBB. But only one of those players will be drafted.
You should love the NBA game too. Jokic isn't winning any running and jumping contests and he's far and away the best basketball player in the world. His talent is insane.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
You should love the NBA game too. Jokic isn't winning any running and jumping contests and he's far and away the best basketball player in the world. His talent is insane.
I was actually thinking about Jokic when, I was replying. Nobody expected this of him when he was drafted. Honestly the main reason I don’t follow the NBA other than the one I mentioned is because I am a Knicks fan. I think Brunson falls into the same category. Certainly not Jokic but he is 6’ 1” maybe, is not fast, can’t jump but he is the main reason I have started watching again, he beats the odds with BBIQ and shear determination. Jokic as far as BBIQ might be from another planet. As people have said he is playing chess not checkers.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I think this is where his HS path is starting to show. Just doesn't have the experience versus defenders this size and offense always takes a little longer to develop.
We need to give him time.

His offensive effectiveness last year was derivative of the "softening up" of the defense courtesy of Adama Sanogo, prior to him entering the game.

Now he is busy absorbing that adrenaline fueled initial burst from the opponent. To say nothing of the bumping and hacking that the officials let slide.

He will get stronger and better. He is a smart guy. He will take the coaching, adjust and become that player most of us think he already is.

Reaction Score
Clingan has never had particularly great hands. It seems like a couple writers wrote that he had good hands in articles, and people have run with it--it was never true though. Big boys develop later, so it's not really a surprise. He'll get there.
Is Clingan growing into his hands or the other way around? In any case, he tends to not focus on the ball and bats it around like volleyball, then grabs it or bats it out of bounds. Just needs more focus, that should come with coaching. He is an amazing defensive presence and changes a lot of shots near the hoop. Fun to watch! For him to play 30 minutes, after an injury and only have two fouls is great.

Reaction Score
If his minutes were doubled in this game he could've had a double double in assists and rebounds.
That’s the “good” that we get from Diarra when he steps on the court. Plus energy, toughness, and competitor.

The “bad” is that if Diarra’s minutes were doubled, he could’ve also had a double double in both turnovers and getting beaten on blow bys to the basket on D.

Reaction Score
Just an observation. Some schools take colors more seriously than others. Example, Oklahoma State fans ALL wore orange to the final 4. Every single one of them. UConn fans may wear blue, white, gray, or other. I'd imagine Indiana fans are crazy color conscious concerning clothes, too.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this info. I had asked earlier for some feedback on who had more fans at the game. On TV it sounded either even or favored IU a bit.

Reaction Score
The Daily Show Wtf GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

Reaction Score
I thought it felt like certainly more Indiana fans, early on they were louder but as the game progressed and they started losing we were louder
Just throwing it out there, that three off the four teams last night have red for their school color. Both Texas (burnt orange) and Louisville fans would’ve been in red. So the make up of the crowd would’ve looked like possibly more IU fans than UConn fans.

Not to mention, the Louisville and Texas fans would’ve undoubtably been cheering for underdog Indiana; not wanting to play UConn.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Indiana seemed to quit just like those teams we played last year out west in the early tournament. Hopefully we make Texas quit tomorrow.
Absolutely! No quit in our guys. They expect to wear you down. If I remember correctly the announcers said we had 16 second chance shots (or points?) to ZERO for them! I wondered how we were going to handle that front line and we killed them on the boards (Our lead guard had 11 boards). Announcer said at the end that we play with an urgency for DH and that the guards never stop getting after you (sic.): "clawing and scratching." I just love that kind of commentary. This is another team of Uconn that may not win every game but their opponents will know that they were in a fight. "Not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog."

Reaction Score
If his minutes were doubled in this game he could've had a double double in assists and rebounds.

Be careful there. We got what we needed and the more minutes the more trouble as far as I’m concerned. He was okay, perfect amount of minutes.

Reaction Score
I guess being 45% of the crowd is considered an overwhelmingly IU crowd to Hoosier fans. I consider 80% "overwhelmingly".

caw

Reaction Score
Indiana seemed to quit just like those teams we played last year out west in the early tournament. Hopefully we make Texas quit tomorrow.

The lack of attention to detail by Indiana showed the disparity between Hurley and Woodson. They only boxed out occasionally, they didn’t defend screens appropriately at all and mostly only defended the initial action and they just stopped when Renau fouled out. Mentally they were a weak team.

That said IU is very talented. They should win a good amount of games off talent alone

Reaction Score
Well there's about 9 more minutes until the IU win means considerably less than it did 24 hours ago. Figure it out now please, IU.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom