Indiana Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Indiana Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Just got back from the game............great atmosphere..............great win...............next one is sure going to be tougher.......it was fun watching the NC State players who were sitting behind the basket taking in the game.............they were all looking at each other when UConn went on that fantastic run..........that said I don't get the feeling they will be intimidated.........should be a battle........

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I am more than a little amazed that Paige revealed in the presser that Geno has been nagging on her to shoot more. This in response to a question about how she shot more today. Stay tuned for the next chapter. We still need her shooting more.

Reaction Score
They were outscored over the last 16 minutes of the game.
It's not the first time in all my years watching UConn that they go on a run, get up big and then go into a hold on mode.

Reaction Score
There's too much at stake for such a poor officiating job. Ruined the flow of the game. Amateur hour. The buffoons established how the game was going to be called, allowed the players to adjust, which good players on good teams do, and then totally changed their approach in the 2nd half.
Not sure I understand why IU got another shot at the end of the first half. I wanted to see what happened after Holmes missed the shot, not whether the last second shot should count. Did an IU player have the ball after Holmes' miss? If UConn rebounded it, wouldn't they be awarded the ball?
The better team clearly won, but refs spoiled the experience to a degree. Players on both teams and the fans deserved better.
AE rebounded the ball and casually bounced it out of bounds. I think she thought the half was over. I also think that the way the half ended fueled our 2nd half start.

Reaction Score
The officiating definitely left a bad taste in my mouth. Hate to say it, but I felt bad for IU, as they were on D early in Q3 and botr the brunt of the early whistles. Also, an IU player (Holmes?) picked up her 4th foul on a totally clean block.
Yes, I was baffled by Holmes’ fourth foul on that play. I’m not sure why the officiating went downhill during the second half, as both teams played very well during the first half. I’m still SMH.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They were outscored the last 16 minutes of the game and still won by 17 which means they did indeed pull away. Were you expecting them to win by 50? That's just unrealistic this late into the tournament. Times have changed.
They played 4 good minutes all game. That won't cut it against a better team.

Reaction Score
AE rebounded the ball and casually bounced it out of bounds. I think she thought the half was over. I also think that the way the half ended fueled our 2nd half start.

AE did but the clock stopped at 1.3 and by the time the ball bounced out of bounds the clock should have run out. Surprised the refs didn’t check that. If they did and didn’t correct it they were more incompetent then they looked!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Just got back from the game...love the atmosphere there...good to see the fans back in large numbers. A few observations in no particular order.

1. When I left with about 10 seconds to go UConn was winning a palindromic victory (75 to 57); When I got home I noticed the score was 75 to 58 meaning that somehow Indiana managed to get to the line with 10 seconds to go and somehow managed to eliminate the palindrome.
2. UConn had a nice balanced offensive output...technically 5 players in double figures: Bueckers - 15; Williams - 15; Fudd - 13; Ododa - 10; and Edwards - 9.
3. Olivia and Aliyah did a great job rebounding 14 for Olivia and 10 for Edwards. UConn was +12 on the rebounding end.
4. One stat jumped out at me...we had 13 assists on 31 baskets...not very typical of UConn...it indicates that Indiana's defense was able to disrupt UConn's offense...this in spite of the fact that UConn took pretty good care of the basketball only committing 9 turnovers. Meanwhile UConn was able to force 15 turnovers.
5. Another stat that jumps out at me...is that UConn was able to score 14 second chance points to Indiana's 2 second chance points. This is a result of UConn getting 15 offensive boards to Indiana's 2.
6. Officiating in this game gets a C-. It almost seemed like two different games with foul calls going both ways through the first 2 and 3/4 quarters...then with about 4 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter it seemed like the officials inserted themselves into the game and they broke up the rhythm of the game...taking the players out of it. I caught myself thinking..."just let them play".
7. Outside of Ali Patberg Indiana did not have a dominate player. The second quarter...she went off for two 3s and a long two. I think that had a lot to do with Paige still not yet to play the kind of defense she was playing at this time last year. However, adjustments were made in the second half and Ali was only able to get 4 two point buckets.
8. The three point bucket made by Alexsa Gulbe at the end of the half was pretty strange...a lot of confusion as to who had possession of the ball. Edwards thought the half was over...so she grabs a rebound and puts the ball on the floor and it rolls out of bounds giving Indiana the last possession of the half and Alexsa knocked down the three to end the half.
9. We only made 57 percent of our free-throws.
10. Indiana basically had no bench, however, their guard play was really good...I love their motion offense.

Last edited:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I was also interested that yet again, an opponent gets multiple players with 4 fouls and the refs refuse to call a 5th on any of them.
Yep, same thing happened in the Central Florida game. Beginning with about 4 minutes to go in the 3rd period, I felt like the refs were trying to even out the calls.

Reaction Score
Perhaps I am wrong but Geno's responses seemed at a different level of energy and precision than previously this year. They were sharper, more insightful, more cogent. More than just the normal, supportive comments about players that happen each year at tourney time. I wonder if this means something, other than that he slept well last night? More optimistic?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It was ND's game until Baby Mb lost concentration. That one position lost the game.
I agree. The team starts two freshmen and it's a senior that just casually bounces the ball right in front of someone who'd already had a few steals at that point.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Just got back from the game...love the atmosphere there...good to see the fans back in large numbers. A few observations in no particular order.

1. When I left with about 10 seconds to go UConn was winning a palindromic victory (75 to 57); When I got home I noticed the score was 75 to 58 meaning that somehow Indiana managed to get to the line with 10 seconds to go and somehow managed to eliminate the palindrome.
:)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
AE did but the clock stopped at 1.3 and by the time the ball bounced out of bounds the clock should have run out. Surprised the refs didn’t check that. If they did and didn’t correct it they were more incompetent then they looked!
I am going to watch the replay to verify, but it seemed to me live that Aaliya heard the shot violation buzzer, so she was bouncing the ball to the ref so UConn could inbound. Instead, the ref blew the whistle, gave IU the ball and presto a 3...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom