Indiana Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Indiana Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
UCONN finds ways to win! Each game has a different flavor (IMO),
but the flavor is sweet. !!!! The best part of this game, for me, was
that extra effort by each of the different Huskies that were on the floor at any
given moment. With special Kudos to A E and C W. The Hoosiers are good,
but we had more horses, uphs.. more Huskies. On to Monday. I need some time to
sharpen my prognostication!

Reaction Score
They reviewed the stat sheet during halftime and realized that they weren't getting enough tv time :rolleyes:
I wouldn't be surprised if an NCAA official critiques them at halftime. They tend to advise refs to emphasize certain calls.

Reaction Score
All we have to do now folks is run the table with NC State, Stanford and then South CArolina probably. How is that for a challenge? Hoping for an upset for one of those challenges.
Think about it, UCONN has the #1 high school player in the country, 3 of the last 4 years, now healthy, I'm pretty certain UCONN is the team to beat!

Reaction Score
The one concern is how will Paige respond physically on Monday night. I liked she was more aggressive, looking for her shot. However, it is noticeable that she is unable to finish going to the basket with traffic in front of her, and her automatic pull-up jumper is lacking her customary elevation. She is a gamer though, even though her quickness and lateral movement is not 100%, her presence covers for her.

Loved Ducharme’s early energy and contribution. Unfortunately, she is subject to the numbers game. Who do you take off the floor? Her time will come next season, taking over Christyn Williams role.

The game against NC St will be a slugfest. No lead is comfortable against them. They have come back too many times this season, so they won’t be rattled playing behind and they are a veteran team.

Great to see Creighton make the Elite Eight. I have another 24 hours living the dream thinking they can beat SC, but the reality is Boston is too big to stop.

Let’s go UConn!
Paige played against UCF, I think she could take South Carolina's physicality.

Reaction Score
I think Dorka just got the Caroline slot for this game - not in the doghouse, just not needed today. The rotation is just too big so it feels like Geno has to use the first half to feel out who is playing well, what groups are gelling and then stick with the hot hands in the second half. There just aren't enough minutes for 9 players, especially when Paige needs to play herself into form for later rounds on a condensed timeline.

The difference in the season now is that, if somebody is struggling a little, there is someone else to step in. There was so much pressure not to have an "off" day when the rotation was 6 deep. Now we can just tinker until we get what works that day and ride it to the finish line.

Reaction Score
I am glad that they won. The defense did what I expected and kept Indiana at 55 points but the offense perhaps due to Indiana, was about 15 to 20 points less than I thought was achieveable. the foul calls were cheap on both sides but it was equally stupid.

NC State against ND did not show me a lot so I think that this might be an opportunity for UConn. But they must make a big lead, hold that lead and play to victory instead of letting a team come back on them as Indiana tried to do. Ergo Geno's appropriate time out.

What happened to Dorka?
I believe Dorka missed a few bunnies, so she spent the rest of the time on the bench. Maybe her nerves were still over active, thus her nimbleness with the ball.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Like watching two different games, and the officials were the major reason why. Indiana was caught completely off guard by the extensive whistle blowing at the beginning of Q3. Never seen such an abrupt change in officiating in my life. And it wasn’t “home cooking;” UConn actually got called for more fouls. The difference was the the depth: 11 bench points for the Huskies vs. 1 for IU.
They also blew the end of the first half - the shot clock went off and the game clock stopped while the ball was in the air, it bounced of the rim, Edwards grabbed it, bounced it once and it went out of bounds - all while the game clock was at 1.6 seconds. The half should have been over as they should have looked at the monitor and seen that about 3 seconds should have run before the ball went out of bounds.

The second half fouls were crazy for both teams - just phantom touches everywhere being whistled. Hope these refs have worked their last game.

Not a fan of the head throw by Indiana players to try for fouls, but generally they weren't given.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
That was the most bizarre officiating I think I've ever seen. Sometimes the refs call a lot tighter after a game has become chippy, but today it's like they got together at halftime and said, "Let's mess with their heads."

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It's completely possible that UConn goes all the way to the final and wins...playing decent
but not wonderful BB...one has to take all the following ...concerns? min-negativity?...into perspective....Perspective is a wonderful thing...Yes GoUConn, they won, even looked good for about 7 minutes...but...

-I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but this starting lineup does not come out of the gate strong and the one with Nika, Caroline and E does.

- I'm sure there will be much discussion about the change in the way the game was called, forcing both teams to modify their style and trying real hard to ruin it for the fans...a disgrace

- With Paige and Azziz's legs gone (outside shots not falling) why not use the vaunted depth.
along those lines...Azzi passed up a couple of 3 attempts near the end, probably she wasn't sure she
would make them....it's ok to take her out for a breather.

-My main concern, a variant of all of the above, is that lineup issues, who starts, who plays with whom. minutes distribution...doesn't seem as effective as in the Big East Tourney when Paige came off the bench. I know this is a big problem...They should solve it, that's why they get paid the big bucks.

Reaction Score
you gotta look back and just laugh at all those Dorka should start over Olivia posts, again where did those people go? Lose their internet connection?

Reaction Score
Geno goes to a short bench, as the starting five played 80% of the minutes.
I don’t know if it was as much a short bench as fewer minutes. He still brought Nika, Evina, Caroline and Dorka off the bench. The minutes just continue to come down for a few, which makes sense as they move on and if the players in the minutes given are having a tough time.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
For a bit in the 3/4th Qs, it seemed like everyone was waiting to see what Paige did. I hope we don't go back to that again.

Reaction Score
I believe Dorka missed a few bunnies, so she spent the rest of the time on the bench. Maybe her nerves were still over active, thus her nimbleness with the ball.
That first one she missed made me scream. She gets a nice pass down low and she’s in perfect position to just put it up immediately. But for some unknown reason, she hesitates, and a defender has time to get to her, then Dorka shoots what now is a more difficult contested shot and misses everything by a mile. Just put the #€%& ball in the basket without a thought! Make it an automatic action- get ball, shoot ball. Once more- get ball, shoot ball!

Reaction Score
Unlike the ugly win against UCF that left a bad taste in our mouth, this was a feel good, enjoyable victory. Kudos to UCONN players for keeping their poise & executing Geno's game plan.
The officiating definitely left a bad taste in my mouth. Hate to say it, but I felt bad for IU, as they were on D early in Q3 and botr the brunt of the early whistles. Also, an IU player (Holmes?) picked up her 4th foul on a totally clean block.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom