If you're Warde Manuel, do you open '13 season at Columbus? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If you're Warde Manuel, do you open '13 season at Columbus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I fail to see the obsession with scheduling UMass. We don't need the gate or people dumping their tickets to visiting fans. Schedule them when it is convienent, they'll take the game. H/H is out of the question. No need to BCU ignore them, but come on, we have bigger scheduling priorities. Old Yankee Conf. rivalries are just that, old.

Reaction Score
Looking at our scheduling philosophy w/ MAC schools (we generally do a home and home with one MAC school/year). I would just assume it be UMass as opposed to directional Michigan or an Ohio based school. The away leg is drivable for UConn fans, and more often than not we will match or outdraw their attendance. If we really wanted to get creative, we should offer their home game to be @ Rentschler (closer for them, and they will draw more fans) where they get 25k tickets and we get 15k tickets. Crazy idea, but why not give it a shot.

Reaction Score
Looking at our scheduling philosophy w/ MAC schools (we generally do a home and home with one MAC school/year). I would just assume it be UMass as opposed to directional Michigan or an Ohio based school. The away leg is drivable for UConn fans, and more often than not we will match or outdraw their attendance. If we really wanted to get creative, we should offer their home game to be @ Rentschler (closer for them, and they will draw more fans) where they get 25k tickets and we get 15k tickets. Crazy idea, but why not give it a shot.

Something just seems wrong with that last idea. You need to treat the home field like a sacred place for the tradition to grow. Think about any traditional football power doing something similar, it would never happen. We should do 2 for 1 with UMass and just go to Foxboro.

Reaction Score
I fail to see the obsession with scheduling UMass. We don't need the gate or people dumping their tickets to visiting fans. Schedule them when it is convienent, they'll take the game. H/H is out of the question. No need to BCU ignore them, but come on, we have bigger scheduling priorities. Old Yankee Conf. rivalries are just that, old.

It's not an obsession with UMass as much as getting sick of playing Buffalo and MAC schools that we have no connection with and do nothing for our attendance or strength of schedule.

Reaction Score
It's not an obsession with UMass as much as getting sick of playing Buffalo and MAC schools that we have no connection with and do nothing for our attendance or strength of schedule.

We should play UMASS, but not every year necessarily. BC will be back on our schedule before long and playing both isn't always possible or worthwhile. I think it is important to grow our brand more before we help legitimize UMASS too much. With us, BC, UMASS, RU, PSU, Temple and RU all trolling the same waters, it is getting very crowded on the recruiting trail.

Reaction Score
Something just seems wrong with that last idea. You need to treat the home field like a sacred place for the tradition to grow. Think about any traditional football power doing something similar, it would never happen. We should do 2 for 1 with UMass and just go to Foxboro.
If, a big if I realize, we are to play an away game w/ UMass, would you prefer it he at Foxboro and we get 5k tickets, or The Rent and we get 15k tickets? I don't think my original suggestion will ever happen, but if we end up playing an away game w/ UMass, why not at least ask for that deal. As I stated in my original post, it's a crazy idea.

Reaction Score
I see it different, I see playing UMass and BC (hopefully, someday) as growing hs football in New England. More scholarships, more attention, better players, more rivalries, more football in New England.

Reaction Score
If, a big if I realize, we are to play an away game w/ UMass, would you prefer it he at Foxboro and we get 5k tickets, or The Rent and we get 15k tickets? I don't think my original suggestion will ever happen, but if we end up playing an away game w/ UMass, why not at least ask for that deal. As I stated in my original post, it's a crazy idea.

There would be plenty of tickets for UConn and UMASS fans alike at Foxboro. I would think that game would only sell 50k on average. Now if UMASS were very good one year and UConn was ranked, maybe a ton of massholes show up hoping for an upset and the game fills all 68k seats. I doubt it happens often unless all of UConn's Rent fans make the trip.

Reaction Score
The endless series against SUNY Buffalo has to stop. If we can't find anyone else, just schedule UMass. Hope WM won't have a soft spot for them.

Stick around the Big East long enough and they will conference mates sooner or later.

Reaction Score
On further review going to Horseshoe to start '13 not the way to keep good relations with Mich AD who is coming here three weeks later under duress and probably only because Mr. Manuel is a Michigan Man. Bad idea (like starting a post and getting into an argument with yourself).

The Michigan AD should not factor into any UConn decision.

I can see pluses and minuses in going to OSU but the bottom line is the bottom line, I think we make much more staying home and playing TSU. So we should NOT lose money to play OSU.

Reaction Score
I'd play Ohio state there in 2013 as long as they agreed to come to the Rent in 2014 or soon there after. Not the Meadowlands. Not Gillette, not Yankee Stadium. Rentschler field.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I agree with you. I'd rather keep playing Buffalo, we have a history with them. We have a similar D-1 timeframe, played each other often and met in a bowl game. What's UMass? To me, just a scab we have to pick every decade or so.

Reaction Score
Not an issue in 2013 but starting in '14 (first season of playoff) really gotta ramp up the nonconf schedule and ditch the I-AAs. Stinks that top 4 conferences will still have luxury of playing IAAs, but is fact of life we have to deal with. Very easy to see a collusion scenario taking shape where teams in Pac-12, B10, SEC and B12 cut way back on playing BE, ACC, Mtn West etc.

Reaction Score
does anyone know what our conference schedule will look like starting next year? has there been talk about how many OOC games we'll even have next year? i'm assuming we'll go down to 4, in which case we need to be a little more selective about who we schedule. assuming we want to try to keep a home BCS game and away BCS game as continuing home and home series we only have two spots left. i'd like to lose the 1AA game, but realistically i doubt that will happen so we'll have one spot left. i don't really want to fill one up with UMass every year. maybe we could rotate every three years against Buffalo, UMass and a random MAC.

if we schedule 4 home BE games, 1AA home game, 1 OOC home BCS team, and then only have one game left, i'd rather it be a home game. i guess against a MAC team should be the theoretical formula. we can't be playing @Buffalo anymore

Reaction Score
I'd play Ohio state there in 2013 as long as they agreed to come to the Rent in 2014 or soon there after. Not the Meadowlands. Not Gillette, not Yankee Stadium. Rentschler field.

With a $3mill buyout.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
With an 8 game BE schedule, here's what I'd like to see four our four OOC games:

BCS H/H @ Home
MAC Home
BCS H/H Away
MAC Home

I'd try to get one lower tier BCS game and one upper tier BCS game if I could. That would mean a big school here every other year. I would also take certain one off BCS away games in place of a MAC game if needed to arrange a schedule.

In years that we can't get a BCS away game, schedule an 8th home game against an FCS team, just like the big boys do. The days of the 6 game home schedule are also over.

Play bigger to get better.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member