If you could choose.Cast Your Vote | Page 3 | The Boneyard

If you could choose.Cast Your Vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
B1G gives you the money and football prestige, but I don't see how you can argue with ACC. You restore huge rivalries (Cuse, Pitt, BC), create new ones (Duke, UNC, Maryland), you get to play some reasonably good football teams (VT, FSU, Clemson, GT). I think the ACC just makes infinitely more sense. That being said, if they get the B1G invite (which I fail to see how that would happen, given how content B1G with its current number unless ND comes knocking), you gotta take it.

Reaction Score
ACC!

Wishful thinking:
Cincy, L-Ville, or West Virginia join UConn in the conference.

Reaction Score
Ivy League - we would win everything every year. Seriously though ACC - With the chance to beat duke every year in hoops. Big 10 would be great to see those teams in football.

Reaction Score
While I think ACC makes the most sense from geography p.o.v., I'd rather be associates with the B10 1st, then ACC, then a modified B12 w/ remaining BE and B12 FB schools. Whatever it is we MUST break off from the non FB schools.
+1

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I like being in the ACC with North/South divisions. Pitt, Cuse, BCU, Maryland, Va Tech, Virginia, RU and ourselves seems pretty legit to me. Replacing RU with WVU (who I believe goes to the SEC, not the ACC) and it would be the best case scenario in my eyes.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
B1G

*I would love to see programs like Ohio State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Michigan and PSU at the Rent on a yearly basis

*We would have our own network

*Arguably the 2nd or 3rd best Football conference in America

*The only true northeast/new england team in the B1G would give us a leg up in recruiting

*UCONN can be another option for northeast recruits to play big time schools and stay close to home

*We would go undefeated in basketball, seriously, who would compete with us on a year to year basis?

*With all the B1G alum in NYC, it's not a stretch to imagine getting MSG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
This is entirely about football. You can be successful in a moderately good basketball conference, but for football, to be taken serioulsy you need traditonal partners for the most part. In fact, in basketball the conference members are almost irrelevent as long as you schedule properly. In fact ove rthe past few years, the Big East has really become nothing more than a scheduling alliance. it assures everyone has enough home games and everyone has enough "good" games. the rest is window dressing. You could do that even as an independent, though it would be more difficult.

Reaction Score
The B1G for sure
That conference afflitation brings more than athletics to th table.
Plus geographically it's pretty much a wash .
You can drive to Rutgers, Penn State,and Maryland.
After BC even Cuse is a haul.
In football bringing , OSU,Mich, Nebraska, Mich State , into Ct creates a buzz that even FSU can't duplicate.
I'm a BB first fan and although the the ACC edges the B1G for Matchups ,wars against Indiana ,Mich State and a few others aren't to shabby.
We have much more of a historical connection to the Midwest than the South.

Reaction Score
Why resurrect this thread from 2011? Think we'd all choose the B1G now.

Reaction Score
I believe UConn would get invited to the ACC not the B1G. Reasons:
  • For one, the stadium is not B1G caliber and the way Fairfield County tries to control the rest of the state I seriously doubt you'll see a major, state funded expansion anytime soon.
  • The AAU and endowment situations hamper UConn and with people fleeing the state I don't know how you muster a annual endowment of over a billion dollars. UConn's proximity to NYC & Boston is their only saving grace but fan base and FBS tradition/history counter it.
  • The ACC is likely to be poached by the B1G and the SEC within a decade and will be looking for replacements. Unfortunately I see the ACC going the way of the old Big East with other conferences siphoning off their good football schools leaving the league with a brand of "basketball conference" and less of a chance to be invited to any FBS playoff for a shot at the national title.
Therefore the best bet is to make the most of the league your in now, get the football program solid and perched to vie for a top 25 ranking. Now, if I was selfish I would like to see the Northeast schools band together and form an entirely new conference, The Big North or something like that. The basketball would be competitive with any in the land and the football wouldn't be arguably better than the eventual remnants of the ACC, AAC, Mountain West and possibly the Big12. Two divisions:

East--------------West
  • BC--------------- Penn St
  • UConn-----------Pitt
  • Temple-----------WVU
  • Maryland--------Louisville
  • Rutgers----------Cincinnati
  • Virginia----------Syracuse
  • Navy*------------Army* (* = football only)
Will it happen? Never but it would make for some nice road game travel expense savings and rekindle a lot of traditional rivalries. Probably would be able to wrestle MSG away from the new Big East for BBall tournies also.

Tucker

Free Beer!..... Yesterday
Reaction Score
B1G after Louisville got in ACC. Like a scorned bitch I am. The ACC is poison in my eye. (Unless they invite us of course)

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
My first thought is that I'd prefer the B1G, but there's nothing that leads me to believe that we'd be any more competitive than Rutty or Maryland in terms of football, and I'd rather not watch us struggle to win 4 or 5 games in a season. In the ACC, we'd get top notch basketball and football that's pretty good but still allows us the chance to be really competitive. Outside of FSU and Clemson, we can compete with anyone there.

Reaction Score
So weird looking back now how we all thought that the ACC or B1G was just waiting to invite us.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
BiG. Screw the rivalries in the ACC- would much rather reestablish the SUNJ rivalry, develop the Maryland rivalry, and work on having other nationally significant State Flagship schools play in our house every season. Of course the regular OOC tar-and-feathering of BCU is just a bonus. Really, what rivalries in the ACC are so great? Pitt? Fruit U? I don't get. And hoops with regular games against Maryland, MSU, UM and Wisconsin- good enough for me.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
B1G, ainec.

All you have to do is look at the stability, the networks, the income, the academics, the quantity of the institutions and the people that run them.

Or would you prefer the drama that is being in a league with ND or Texas. How about such character driven institutions such as BC, Miami, Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse?

If we called to join the ACC or B12, this board will celebrate in a manner we didn't know was possible and we would fill the intertubes with semi-jovial barbs at our old friends in the ACC or the hayseeds of the lower midwest, but if you want what is best for every single program and the university itself. The Big Ten would be as close to perfect as you could draw up in the current NCAA universe.

Leave all other delusions behind.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
From a sports perspective ACC. From a money perspective Big 10.

Reaction Score
I prefer the B1G but any port in a storm will due. Contrary to popular belief I do see UConn being competitive in football in the B1G or any conference within 10 years after getting in the conference. The history of UConn tells me there is a strong desire for Championships and UConn doesn't tend to sit back until this goal is reached. I was hear when UConn was in the Yankee Conference and we wanted more in basketball. The naysayers said it would never be done at UConn. But look what happened. I believe the same will eventually be done in football. We will win a National Championship given some time.

Reaction Score
I prefer the B1G but any port in a storm will due. Contrary to popular belief I do see UConn being competitive in football in the B1G or any conference within 10 years after getting in the conference. The history of UConn tells me there is a strong desire for Championships and UConn doesn't tend to sit back until this goal is reached. I was hear when UConn was in the Yankee Conference and we wanted more in basketball. The naysayers said it would never be done at UConn. But look what happened. I believe the same will eventually be done in football. We will win a National Championship given some time.

UConn has a great brand. We went from newby to respectable very quickly under Edsall. The only reason we lost some street cred was that we kind of snuck into the Fiesta Bowl and then got clobbered. We were building serious steam with the talking heads. We'll be back there very soon.

Winning is contagious. Once we are winning, football will capitalize on the basketball brand and it will catapult us ahead in status. We are different in that sense. We have a marquee brand and we have an outstanding market to grow the football fan base in. We are about to go from media punching bag to media darling assuming the guys come back bigger, stronger and faster and the coaches come back better prepared.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
B1G, No doubt. More stable conference short and long term. Much more money. Greater academic prowess. Geography is not an issue. (It's 1420 miles from Storrs to Miami. 1340 to Lincoln, NE. Besides, F@@k the ACC.) If they don't want us, then we don't want them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom