If Not Now, When? | The Boneyard

If Not Now, When?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
upload_2016-11-11_21-1-8.png

There is a more hopeful story line leading up to the 2016-’17 season, which began Friday in matinee fashion and whose opening flourish will be punctuated on Monday with an ESPN2 doubleheader featuring UConn at Florida State and Texas at Stanford.

It’s not just the Irish welcoming back so much of their firepower that holds the promise of genuine intrigue. South Carolina, Ohio State, Louisville and Baylor have the talent not only to get to Dallas, site of this season’s Women’s Final Four, but to win there.

Also keep an eye out for Maryland, Texas, UCLA and Florida State, among another strong tier of teams that includes Stanford, Washington, Syracuse and Tennessee.

As Shaughnessy wrote in clarifying his tweet, the problem really isn’t UConn but the lack of competition.

That’s an issue discussed mostly in whispers in the sport. When elite, Power Five women’s programs are reeling in comparable recruiting classes, paying coaches seven-figure salaries and filling their own arenas but still can’t close the gap, you have to wonder what it will take.

UConn has been truly exceptional and noteworthy, and the UCLA comparisons are valid. You could say the Huskies are rebuilding, but Auriemma has cobbled together lesser rosters into contenders. With sophomore Katie Lou Samuelson and juniors Gabby Williams and Kia Nurse, he’s got the nucleus to do that once again.

[FULL ARTICLE]

Reaction Score
IF NOT NOW----WHEN????

Looking at Uconn's roster for the next couple of year--WHEN had better be now!!

I have no issues with coaches puffing up their teams and pushing them hard to be contenders--that's a coaches job--to be their champion/cheerleader.
I know I'll serve in limbo (or much deeper) for this--but this is Notre Dames/Muffet's year to win or lose--she had better make the most of it..

Reaction Score
As Shaughnessy wrote in clarifying his tweet, the problem really isn’t UConn but the lack of competition.

I'm usually more pragmatic--but when it comes to Geno and UC WBB--I lose a bit of my objectivity.
Along with the rest of WCBB --I see it as Geno's methods Vs everyone else. Normally I don't buy into the mystic of anyone having the ability to do something thousands of others can't/won;t do.
I know of Geno's emphasis on: 1. Conditioning 2. practice, practice, practice 3. Defense 4 dedication to perfection 4. Dedication to winning. 5. Recruiting

If that was the formula that makes Uconn---Uconn, everyone would be doing it.

How does Women's college basketball compete--with the Unknowns of Geno's program??

Reaction Score
Here's the rub. Even if another team actually wins the championship this season, there will be at least a few coaches knowing that they have probably lost their one major chance of winning for the next few seasons.

Reaction Score
Geno and his staff are flexible, never stagnant. He talked about always looking for one thing to take away from whatever coach he's watching or talking to. He even mentioned taking something from a high school game that helped UConn. Not necessarily an innovator, but willing to be open to all options.

Reaction Score
For the WCBB world it's One and Done or None and Done. Next season UConn will be an All-Star team, and we can prepare to hear how unfair life is when the Huskies get all the best players. Looks to me as if there's plenty of talent around now and a few good coaches; it's time for the Others to put up or (won't happen) shut up.

Reaction Score
I hope the other major programs aren't taking this season for granted. This program has a major advantage from a coaching position. They also have coachable players and a wealth of experience winning! I would not be surprised to see this program rolling into the final 4! That said, besides losing the all around game from Stewie this team doesn't seem to have inside intimidation its had in the recent past with Stewie, Kiah, etc. I will be interested as to how they will defend the programs with a size advantage.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
While I am very excited for our future, as well as our present, I am worried about this overwhelming feeling of inevitability in that future. Having been an ardent fan from the late 90s, the past four years were exceptional and really unlikely to be repeated. Great teams are more art than science and we have seen many ways in which fate can be a harsh leveler. The late 90s were filled with promise and heartbreak, 2001 looked so inevitable until it wasn't, LSU, Stanford and ND crushed our inevitability in the mid 2000s and in the beginning of this decade.
We have not seen what this year will bring yet, nor how Stevens and Camera will respond to Geno, let alone how the four signees will adapt to college life and to Uconn's regimen. Talk is cheap and fantasy is a wonderful place to visit, but let us not tempt the gods of Mojo quite so recklessly!

We are doomed I tell ya! :oops::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Theres no doubt U Conn will be loaded next year. But i think the Irish match up well. Turner vs Stevens. Westbeld vs Camara. KLS vs Mabrey. Arike vs Nurse. Young vs Walker . Patberg vs Dangerfield. Coco vs Collier . Boley vs Gabby. N.D. added 2 quality bigs in Vaughn and Patterson and Michael Johnson gives good minutes off the bench. U Conn has Butler Irwin and Bent and a few other new comers. Huskies have 1 or 2 more players on their roster so they might have a little more depth but how deep will they go off the bench ? We lose Allen . U Conn loses Chong . Id give a slight edge to U Conn but people are acting like after this year no one has a chance. I think the Irish can give them a run for their money. Im South Bend Cane and i approve this message.

Reaction Score
Theres no doubt U Conn will be loaded next year. But i think the Irish match up well. Turner vs Stevens. Westbeld vs Camara. KLS vs Mabrey. Arike vs Nurse. Young vs Walker . Patberg vs Dangerfield. Coco vs Collier . Boley vs Gabby. N.D. added 2 quality bigs in Vaughn and Patterson and Michael Johnson gives good minutes off the bench. U Conn has Butler Irwin and Bent and a few other new comers. Huskies have 1 or 2 more players on their roster so they might have a little more depth but how deep will they go off the bench ? We lose Allen . U Conn loses Chong . Id give a slight edge to U Conn but people are acting like after this year no one has a chance. I think the Irish can give them a run for their money. Im South Bend Cane and i approve this message.

I agree, we simply don't know how the teams will play together with all of these new recruits/transfers.............I would say UConn will be even better in 2018 then 2017 but there are certainly other teams out there with equally impressive lineups......................I am of the opinion that all things being equal, Geno and the UConn coaching staff tilt the odds a bit in the Huskies favor................

Reaction Score
In my opinion, I think that Geno's "system" or maybe better said his method of teaching basketball is far superior than other programs. As we have seen in the past, he takes very talented players and makes them "great". He takes a group and makes them perform as a team. He turns their strengths into domination. Most importantly, he channels their internal desire into an overwelming desire to excel and over achieve. They play with more "heart" than any teams that I have ever watched.

They may lose, but they will win from this years experience. I have seen other teams with more talented players but they cannot match the team play of UConn women.

Well, the elk our coming down from the mountain, so I think I will saddle up and check the herd this afternoon.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
While I am very excited for our future, as well as our present, I am worried about this overwhelming feeling of inevitability in that future. Having been an ardent fan from the late 90s, the past four years were exceptional and really unlikely to be repeated. Great teams are more art than science and we have seen many ways in which fate can be a harsh leveler. The late 90s were filled with promise and heartbreak, 2001 looked so inevitable until it wasn't, LSU, Stanford and ND crushed our inevitability in the mid 2000s and in the beginning of this decade.
We have not seen what this year will bring yet, nor how Stevens and Camera will respond to Geno, let alone how the four signees will adapt to college life and to Uconn's regimen. Talk is cheap and fantasy is a wonderful place to visit, but let us not tempt the gods of Mojo quite so recklessly!

Not enough O's in your doomed. More like D-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-MED!

JordyG

Reaction Score
So far, in watching the teams I think are the real championship contenders (I haven't seen SC yet), ND looks like the real deal this year. They are deep, smart, athletic and a well coached bunch of sharpshooters. As much as I want Dawn in that group, Muffet to me has the edge this year.

Reaction Score
So far, in watching the teams I think are the real championship contenders (I haven't seen SC yet), ND looks like the real deal this year. They are deep, smart, athletic and a well coached bunch of sharpshooters. As much as I want Dawn in that group, Muffet to me has the edge this year.
South Carolina has a couple of transfers that are legit but it might take time to gel. Also losing their point guard and Mitchell who was the glue will be be tough. Baylor is the team id look out for. They have height and speed and some people think with Jones running the point they may be even better then last year. She might be the best player in the country. I look for their bigs to make more of a impact as well along with the additions of Chong and Cox they could be scary come tournament time. Never count out U Conn either. Lots of talent even with losing the big 3. They could get it all together at the right time.

JordyG

Reaction Score
South Carolina has a couple of transfers that are legit but it might take time to gel. Also losing their point guard and Mitchell who was the glue will be be tough. Baylor is the team id look out for. They have height and speed and some people think with Jones running the point they may be even better then last year. She might be the best player in the country. I look for their bigs to make more of a impact as well along with the additions of Chong and Cox they could be scary come tournament time. Never count out U Conn either. Lots of talent even with losing the big 3. They could get it all together at the right time.
My problem is not with Baylor's talent, but the woman coaching them. She always seems to find a way to undermine her team or her coaches confidence. When she gets tight, her team tightens. When was the last time you saw Muffet continuously act foolish on court? Now yes, with Mompremier, Jones and Prince they have speed. Wallace runs only okay, as does Cox, Chou, Cave, and Davis. But this team is not going to beat the best in transition. It will and always does come down to half court when people start The Dance. Jones has a nice game and looks equally nice from the arc, as does Wallace. Make Jones, Chou, Prince, and Wallace beat me off the dribble. Make Davis shoot from the foul line and out. Play Prince for just inside the arc. When harried and their shot doesn't fall they look lost and predictable if you pack the lane. This team can be beaten off the dribble in your half court offense, and a motion offense is their Achilles heel, I think. Sounds easy huh? It ain't. Still, 3 out of 4 games Muffet beats these guys. As you can tell I'm not a Muffet hater and I respect this woman like no other in WCBB. Outside of Storrs of course. The UConn actually has a better chance at these guys in April rather than November.

Reaction Score

The sky is falling---the sky is falling. The volcano gods are against us --they burped in Hawaii.
Most of us know the realities and the (a bit) of the probabilities for this year--For most of the people on the By Uconn WBB is their team so why not take the positive road and expect/hope for the best outcomes.
Just think --we are into the 16/17 season with out a loss in 77 games (more I know counting exhibs)

Reaction Score
In my opinion, I think that Geno's "system" or maybe better said his method of teaching basketball is far superior than other programs. As we have seen in the past, he takes very talented players and makes them "great". He takes a group and makes them perform as a team. He turns their strengths into domination. Most importantly, he channels their internal desire into an overwelming desire to excel and over achieve. They play with more "heart" than any teams that I have ever watched.

They may lose, but they will win from this years experience. I have seen other teams with more talented players but they cannot match the team play of UConn women.

Well, the elk our coming down from the mountain, so I think I will saddle up and check the herd this afternoon.
It's hunting season there now, right?

Reaction Score
I don't see them winning an NC until Coates add Cuevas leave.

Reaction Score
Geno and his staff are flexible, never stagnant. He talked about always looking for one thing to take away from whatever coach he's watching or talking to. He even mentioned taking something from a high school game that helped UConn. Not necessarily an innovator, but willing to be open to all options.
\

I think those statements were made in a moment of Geno's weakness. He does adapt those things he sees--that is an innovator. He does not like to run plays--but he does. He likes his teams to take what the opposition will give--yet he attacks . He prefers to have his kids set up to where they can run a number of options--still he feeds the set shooters in the corners.
No offense--but it is difficult for me to think of Geno as NOT an innovator. In the past with teams not as strong as Stew, Tuck , Moriah--et al--he has been behind or nearly even at the half--and he came roaring back with stuff not seen in the first half. I do believe Geno knows the adjustments needed but won't allow opposing coaches to see his adjustment so they don't have the half to work on a solution.
There must be some innovation in there somewhere.

WestCoastPup

Eclipse
Reaction Score
I really hope Chong can be to UConn what Allen is to ND this year!! Now, there's a message I can stand behind.

Reaction Score
I really hope Chong can be to UConn what Allen is to ND this year!! Now, there's a message I can stand behind.
No doubt Allen runs the offense like a general. I think N.D. will replace her with Patberg which will be a downgrade but she is the only other true point guard.Id rather have them put Arike or Mabrey at the point and add Young as a starter with a 3 guard offense with Turner and Westbeld or Boley as the starting 5 .I know there might be more turnovers but the offense could be crazy.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
No doubt Allen runs the offense like a general. I think N.D. will replace her with Patberg which will be a downgrade but she is the only other true point guard.Id rather have them put Arike or Mabrey at the point and add Young as a starter with a 3 guard offense with Turner and Westbeld or Boley as the starting 5 .I know there might be more turnovers but the offense could be crazy.
It is interesting with Allen because on occasion she has shown she can carry the team offensively, and for her future professional prospects it would be a good thing if she became a little more selfish and looked for her shot just a little more. Not talking about a huge difference, but she shoots around 50% and if she took two more shots a game she would be scoring in the 11-12 ppg range which is what high assist PG should be aiming for. I think her prospects are much better than Niya Johnson's who was much further from that (6.9 as a senior.) You need the threat of scoring from all five players, but you also need a floor general - I think ND is better with Allen on the floor than not.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In the first two scrimmages Saniya has been playing exclusively off the ball at SG vs. PG.

Reaction Score
It is interesting with Allen because on occasion she has shown she can carry the team offensively, and for her future professional prospects it would be a good thing if she became a little more selfish and looked for her shot just a little more. Not talking about a huge difference, but she shoots around 50% and if she took two more shots a game she would be scoring in the 11-12 ppg range which is what high assist PG should be aiming for. I think her prospects are much better than Niya Johnson's who was much further from that (6.9 as a senior.) You need the threat of scoring from all five players, but you also need a floor general - I think ND is better with Allen on the floor than not.
Im still up in the air on Allen. I dont think she will make the WNBA. If she does she wont play long. Almost to unselfish and just not aggressive enough for me and she doesn't seem very vocal. She can also be inconsistent and disappear at times. I think if Arika or Marina take over the point we will score more and be more aggressive on defense. If Patberg takes over i see kind of the same as Allen with maybe even less scoring. More a game manager approach. It isn't a bad thing their great players. Just not my style of ball.

Reaction Score
I don't see them winning an NC until Coates add Cuevas leave.
Coates has more Double Doubles then anyone in NCAA but yet most people think she's a liability, I guarantee she and A'ja Wilson going to prove ALLLL the doubters wrong just you wait and see!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom