If Geno coached a Men's D1 basketball team... | The Boneyard

If Geno coached a Men's D1 basketball team...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He should be the next UConn men's coach after Ollie bolts for the NBA.

/sarcasm

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
They are looking pretty scary

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Imagine Vanvleet vs. Shabazz. That would be quite the matchup to watch.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think the point is NOT that the women are better, or could ever beat a mens team. Let's be honest - the UCONN women would lose to even a very good boys high school team. BUT the point was that Geno runs a terrific motion offense. He teaches the players to think, to take what the defense gives them, and make creative offensive decisions while breaking down the defense.

The women play a very fundamentally sound game. But I don't get why every time Geno's name is brought up on this board, some feel the need to take shots at him, or at the women. No one is trying to detract from Ollie by making any comments regarding Geno or the women...

Reaction Score
I like watching the UConn women play, but let's be honest, most women's college players miss more layups than a middle school boys team.

That wasn't my point.

Regardless, Geno probably has the best coaching job on the planet. He doesn't have to prove a thing. He built a program from the ground up, is likely to surpass Wooden's accomplishments (whose coaching tenure occurred when MBB was much more similar to WBB of today than MBB of today) and consistently gets the top players to work with. Why change?

Reaction Score
That wasn't my point.

My point is, when Geno tells Stef to pass the ball to Kaleena, who will pass it to Breanna who set a screen for Bria Hartley and now has an open mid range jumper. Stef passes the ball to Kaleena who passes it to Breanna who set a screen for Bria and takes her open mid range jumper.

Doesn't work that way with the men. It's actually a product of the current AAU culture.

Your argument makes no sense. Girls play AAU basketball too. Almost every single college coach will tell you they'd rather scout an AAU game than a high school game.

Reaction Score
That wasn't my point.

My point is, when Geno tells Stef to pass the ball to Kaleena, who will pass it to Breanna who set a screen for Bria Hartley and now has an open mid range jumper. Stef passes the ball to Kaleena who passes it to Breanna who set a screen for Bria and takes her open mid range jumper.

Doesn't work that way with the men. It's actually a product of the current AAU culture.

Right cuz the guys neve run any plays. When Kevin Ollie tells shabazz to pass it to Daniels whose coming off a screen instead shabazz takes it to the hole to go for the 360 windmill dunk. Isn't that all the guys do? I've never seen them set a screen or pass the ball.

Get out of here with that crap analysis.

Reaction Score
Right. I'm sure KO tells the guys to just stare at the inbounder when they are passing the ball in. And our offense is beautiful, right?

AAU is different for men and women. There's a different style of play that developed from it. Guys are more encouraged to show their athleticism and create for themselves and others instead of playing within a structured offense. Women have to play within that offense or they won't be successful.

Geno, would want his team to play within that offense. So if he was to coach a men's team, he'd prefer the teams that aren't as talented but are probably a bunch of seniors.

Y'all like to make generalizations about the women's game. Well, deal with some about the men's.

Reaction Score
Right. I'm sure KO tells the guys to just stare at the inbounder when they are passing the ball in. And our offense is beautiful, right?

AAU is different for men and women. There's a different style of play that developed from it. Guys are more encouraged to show their athleticism and create for themselves and others instead of playing within a structured offense. Women have to play within that offense or they won't be successful.

Geno, would want his team to play within that offense. So if he was to coach a men's team, he'd prefer the teams that aren't as talented but are probably a bunch of seniors.

Y'all like to make generalizations about the women's game. Well, deal with some about the men's.

Have you ever actually seen a men's AAU game? Have you ever actually seen a women's AAU game? Or are you just going to regurgitate junk you've heard elsewhere?

Reaction Score
Crisp, maybe. Disciplined? I don't watch the women much but when I have they haven't appeared to be particularly disciplined or even "smart" to me. Lots of turnovers, many of them unforced. Again, my sample size is limited.

Geno is a great coach, it can't be argued. He built possibly the best basketball program of all time, men or women. For the last several years the talent gap between them and most of their opponents cannot be overlooked however. If the men's team played a high school team I guarantee they could run their stuff very crisply and look much more "fundamentally sound". How fundamentally sound did the women play in giving away two games to ND at the end?

All that said, Geno could coach a men's team without a problem. There would be some adjustments he would have to make but I believe he would find ways to take full advantage of the higher level of athleticism in the men's game. It would be entertaining.

Reaction Score
Geno coached his son's AAU team. They had very limited talent, but Geno got very good results at the national level.

Reaction Score
I started this mad debate, but inadvertently.

I really had no intention of comparing Geno or KO. I'm love them both and intuitively understand they coach different games in different environments that shouldn't be compared.

It simply occurred to me, as an amateur coach and a former sports writer and editor, that Wichita State's appeared to run a somewhat similar flex offense to the UConn women. And when the women are really clicking (as WS often did this year), there was a crisp motion quality to it.

I bleed national blue -- and wouldn't trade our men's and women's coaches for anyone, anywhere. Trying to make senseless arguments about their comparison is insane.

Reaction Score
As Geno has said many times they are completely different sports.

Reaction Score
That wasn't my point.

Regardless, Geno probably has the best coaching job on the planet. He doesn't have to prove a thing. He built a program from the ground up, is likely to surpass Wooden's accomplishments (whose coaching tenure occurred when MBB was much more similar to WBB of today than MBB of today) and consistently gets the top players to work with. Why change?

Yet his accomplishments for building a program from the ground up are short of Jim Calhouns in comparison! Great job by Geno, miraculous job by JC……….both should be knighted of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom