If Dave Benedict Doesn't Achieve Something Substantial By End of July Should UConn HIre a Consulting Firm? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

If Dave Benedict Doesn't Achieve Something Substantial By End of July Should UConn HIre a Consulting Firm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not surprising at all that the story was broke by some random news source as they probably didn't bother to get multiple sources to confirm the story before running it. That (typically) wouldn't happen in regular media channels. Heck, the news has been rumored for at least a month and it was posted on the Boneyard on June 12th by a poster so the rumors were very strong 9 days before it was reported by a news source.

I was initially opposed to the move to the BE, but I am warming to the idea. The "big" money didn't happen with the AAC media contract and I would think there are other schools thinking about their futures. I think Houston/UCF/Cincinnati/USF/Memphis are hoping conference realignment heats up when the next P5 media deals get negotiated and they get a P5 invite. (Big 12 or reconstituted Big 12.) Temple, another hoops school, has to be wondering why they are playing in a Southern conference. Navy seems to be struggling a little as Army flourishes as an independent. With UConn going independent, Navy can have a schedule of Army, Air Force, Notre Dame, an FCS, and UConn every year and I'm sure Navy can make a good schedule.

In my opinion, the AAC will not consist of the same teams in 10 years. UConn decided to move before they were forced to make a move.

UConnJim, I was like you, as I was initially opposed to the BE move. Now, eventhou I still have my doubts, I'm warming up to it. I will miss seeing UConn at the AAC baseball tournament in Clearwater!!

Reaction Score
Not surprising at all that the story was broke by some random news source as they probably didn't bother to get multiple sources to confirm the story before running it. That (typically) wouldn't happen in regular media channels. Heck, the news has been rumored for at least a month and it was posted on the Boneyard on June 12th by a poster so the rumors were very strong 9 days before it was reported by a news source.

I was initially opposed to the move to the BE, but I am warming to the idea. The "big" money didn't happen with the AAC media contract and I would think there are other schools thinking about their futures. I think Houston/UCF/Cincinnati/USF/Memphis are hoping conference realignment heats up when the next P5 media deals get negotiated and they get a P5 invite. (Big 12 or reconstituted Big 12.) Temple, another hoops school, has to be wondering why they are playing in a Southern conference. Navy seems to be struggling a little as Army flourishes as an independent. With UConn going independent, Navy can have a schedule of Army, Air Force, Notre Dame, an FCS, and UConn every year and I'm sure Navy can make a good schedule.

In my opinion, the AAC will not consist of the same teams in 10 years. UConn decided to move before they were forced to make a move.

I just hope that USF will at least have a few OOC games with UConn. When they played at RayJay, I was there, and once I went to the UCF-UConn game...

Us being invited to a P5 conference? I not holding out that dream...would be nice, but I doubt it.

C

Chief00

I'm still amazed at how this story broke...

This random website nobody has ever heard of comes out with the story...

Obviously whoever was behind that website release wasn't that interested in journalism (and making a name by having a story first)…
It was clearly someone who wanted to set off a desired chain of events. Perhaps the total ruination of UConn FB, who knows.. (the Catholics simply feel threatened by any semblance of heartbeat in that program)
That website was at the GHO when the story broke - Given that, any wagers on what Catholic school had the loose lips? Another UConn AD screwup.

C

Chief00

I wonder if DB has managed to call all his fellow AAC ADs by now to gauge their general feelings about UConn's transition out of the conference and to talk about future scheduling as an independent. Obviously we can throw some basketball at Temple and Cincy to keep it going as they are certainly worthy.
Chief knows a lot, but one thing Chief doesn’t know.
While Suzy Herbst was uniformly unpopular with Presidents in both conferences, was Benedict’s unpopularity in the AAC because of his association with Herbst or stand alone?
I honestly don’t know?
What I think is the new President will be engaged and ultimately will be the one that makes the settlement. The story that DB sealed the deal was incorrect. The new President saved the day - if one’s goal was to get to the Big East.

Reaction Score
Chief knows a lot, but one thing Chief doesn’t know.
While Suzy Herbst was uniformly unpopular with Presidents in both conferences, was Benedict’s unpopularity in the AAC because of his association with Herbst or stand alone?
I honestly don’t know?
What I think is the new President will be engaged and ultimately will be the one that makes the settlement. The story that DB sealed the deal was incorrect. The new President saved the day - if one’s goal was to get to the Big East.

If he was unpopular in the AAC, than that's a job well done in my opinion

Reaction Score
Hope AD Dave Benedict can achieve something for UConn football soon. If everything remains up in the air or falls down to the ground, should UConn hire a consulting firm to work with Fox, SNY and the AAC? There are retired ADs and TV executives out there that help colleges in such situations. I am not getting a great feeling based on recent news. Hope I am wrong. The cost of the consultant may pay for itself in intermediate term.
I don't think a consultant is needed, but what is needed are wins, and a much improved defense. That being said, retired Northwestern AD Rick Taylor has some ties to UConn going back many years, while Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz played his college football at UConn and was team captain. Not sure if many know outside of some diehards, but Bill Belichick is a UConn fan, while coaching under Ray Perkins in the Giants organization, Belichick applied for the head football coach position at UConn in 1983 but was turned down in favor of Tom Jackson. Of course people know that Todd Orlando, Rob Ambrose, and Joe Morehead went on to bigger and better things.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow. Herbert was unpopilular with both leagues, the student body, the State legislature. Is there a Daniel Malloy award for college presidents? I haven’t seen a college President this unpopular since Claire Guadiani got chased out of New London. Well maybe the guy st Penn State when the scandal hit. Didn’t he go to the slammer. But those two are the only competition. And the Penn State guy had a few defenders.

Reaction Score
Wow. Herbert was unpopilular with both leagues, the student body, the State legislature. Is there a Daniel Malloy award for college presidents? I haven’t seen a college President this unpopular since Claire Guadiani got chased out of New London. Well maybe the guy st Penn State when the scandal hit. Didn’t he go to the slammer. But those two are the only competition. And the Penn State guy had a few defenders.
I’m not totally positive but under Herbst UConn academic standings skyrocketed. Unfortunately she or anyone else could dance on their heads and it would not get us into a power 5

Reaction Score
I’m not totally positive but under Herbst UConn academic standings skyrocketed. Unfortunately she or anyone else could dance on their heads and it would not get us into a power 5
She had excellent academic management qualifications, and the school has enjoyed continually better rankings resulting from a convergence of factors, including skyrocketing costs of education and it’s national sports standing, that boosted applications and overall selectivity. Susan’s vision was about being a research university and all the other stuff uninteresting noise and lip service. Her inability to grasp the criticality of collegiate sports standing in the overall picture of desirability, brand awareness, licensing revenue, alumni relations, and fund raising was staggering. But, we have a nice little incubation research facility in a field of grass on the edge of nowhere.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
She had excellent academic management qualifications, and the school has enjoyed continually better rankings resulting from a convergence of factors, including skyrocketing costs of education and it’s national sports standing, that boosted applications and overall selectivity. Susan’s vision was about being a research university and all the other stuff uninteresting noise and lip service. Her inability to grasp the criticality of collegiate sports standing in the overall picture of desirability, brand awareness, licensing revenue, alumni relations, and fund raising was staggering. But, we have a nice little incubation research facility in a field of grass on the edge of nowhere.
We were in the middle of two capital programs and state investment in a school is a factor in the USN&WR rankings.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Here’s the thing - he’s right.

I’m sorry you believe the story was leaked by sources who desire the ruinous end of UConn football?

Someone flat out told us here a month prior and at least one other person all but told us prior to that.

How exactly could UConn keep the cat in the bag when people at 10 schools knew?

Reaction Score
I am not with any of this. Herbst - in standard measure - did impactful things as President of UCONN. I can take you on a nice tour today on campus lauding components.

Then. I am not sure - given the nature of conference realignment was largely in place before she arrives & the destructive decline of the latter Kevin Ollie years - that she could have done better ... or anyone could. That’s easy for Boneyard throwers. I just think she gets a modest grade in something she had little opportunity to change. The BE move, in 20 years, is her legacy. Let’s see.

Reaction Score
I am not with any of this. Herbst - in standard measure - did impactful things as President of UCONN. I can take you on a nice tour today on campus lauding components.

Then. I am not sure - given the nature of conference realignment was largely in place before she arrives & the destructive decline of the latter Kevin Ollie years - that she could have done better ... or anyone could. That’s easy for Boneyard throwers. I just think she gets a modest grade in something she had little opportunity to change. The BE move, in 20 years, is her legacy. Let’s see.
Conference alignment was still alive upon her arrival She and Warde got played like fools by Jurich, ESPN, BC and FSU. Warde got what he wanted. She got what she wanted. The rest of us were left behind.

C

Chief00

I’m sorry you believe the story was leaked by sources who desire the ruinous end of UConn football?

Someone flat out told us here a month prior and at least one other person all but told us prior to that.

How exactly could UConn keep the cat in the bag when people at 10 schools knew?
You don’t understand - It’s different when someone connected with UConn has a few drinks and has loose lips vs. random posters speculating on a blog.
No one is implying it was leaked due to some grand clever strategy - it was likely more drinks and clumsy loose lips.

Reaction Score
You don’t understand - It’s different when someone connected with UConn has a few drinks and has loose lips vs. random posters speculating on a blog.
No one is implying it was leaked due to some grand clever strategy - it was likely more drinks and clumsy loose lips.

It’s just as likely someone @ the very top of the Big East returned a favor to Terry Lyons from their time together in the NBA/WNBA offices years ago and decided to help him grow his new business venture ;)

Reaction Score
Conference alignment was still alive upon her arrival She and Warde got played like fools by Jurich, ESPN, BC and FSU. Warde got what he wanted. She got what she wanted. The rest of us were left behind.

Nuts

Keep believing that. Both the B1G & Louisville/ACC moves were baked by the time she arrived.

Reaction Score
Nuts

Keep believing that. Both the B1G & Louisville/ACC moves were baked by the time she arrived.
Nothing is baked until it’s out of the oven. The job starts on day 1. Neither had the leadership inclination to step up to the plate. Both shrank in the moment when decisive action and commitment all the way up the State Capitol was needed.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

There are some floating a rumor that this was all the new president's idea and Herbst had little to do with it. That seems absurd at first glance since he publicly stated before that football will continue to be played at UCONN. I'm highly skeptical, but I also would be surprised if he hasn't been in on this process. It's not something you would want to drop blindly onto a new president's desk on his first day in the office. They also wouldn't have wanted him finding out about it by surprise like the rest of us did. It will be very interesting to see what he has to say about football after he gets settled in.

BTW, if they kill the football program sometime soon, no matter what we accomplish in the NBE, Herbst's long term legacy will include that she axed football and killed whatever slim chance we had of making a P5 league.

C

Chief00

It’s just as likely someone @ the very top of the Big East returned a favor to Terry Lyons from their time together in the NBA/WNBA offices years ago and decided to help him grow his new business venture ;)
The Big East was upset the thunder was stolen from their MSG press conference.

C

Chief00

There are some floating a rumor that this was all the new president's idea and Herbst had little to do with it. That seems absurd at first glance since he publicly stated before that football will continue to be played at UCONN. I'm highly skeptical, but I also would be surprised if he hasn't been in on this process. It's not something you would want to drop blindly onto a new president's desk on his first day in the office. They also wouldn't have wanted him finding out about it by surprise like the rest of us did. It will be very interesting to see what he has to say about football after he gets settled in.

BTW, if they kill the football program sometime soon, no matter what we accomplish in the NBE, Herbst's long term legacy will include that she axed football and killed whatever slim chance we had of making a P5 league.

Good post. The tour around campus would illustrate the billion dollar initiatives approved before she stepped foot on campus. True, she got to watch some of the buildings going up and of course help cut the ribbons and took as much credit as she could.

As for the NBE, she started it but as in the past, she couldn’t get it over the finish line. It was presented to the new guy as critical to the school both athletically and financially. The new President got it over the finish line regardless of others who try to take credit for it.

Regardless if one thinks it was a good idea, it is finally reassuring that we now have someone who has the respect of his peers to accomplish things for UConn in The Presidents Club.

Last edited by a moderator:

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Good post. The tour around campus would illustrate the billion dollar initiatives approved before she stepped foot on campus. True, she got to watch some of the buildings going up and of course help cut the ribbons and took as much credit as she could.

As for the NBE, she started it but as in the past, she couldn’t get it over the finish line. It was presented to the new guy as critical to the school both athletically and financially. The new President got it over the finish line regardless of others who try to take credit for it.

Regardless. If one thinks it was a good idea, it is finally reassuring that we now have someone who has the respect of his peers to accomplish things for UConn in The Presidents Club.

I can't like this post enough, Chief. It's great to hear some positive words about our new President. I sincerely hope he can live up to all his advance billing.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I wonder if Benedict has his resume service on speed dial? Since Suzy's the one who hired him, is he going to have any friends in the President's Office when Suzy gets in her car to drive to Stamford?

Reaction Score

I actually saw Herbst yesterday. Talking on her cellphone in front of the School of Business. Should have asked her.

There’s no doubt President K was abreast on all this ... hired in February. But this is Herbst legacy. I think this momentum started a few years ago. And the word is she tried ... but Benedict working ADs got this going this year.

I’m sanguine. I don’t believe the route we were on - AAC - was going to get us to P5. If anyone goes, the AAC brings UCF or Houston in. Cincinnati. So fire up the UConn Fanbase by better Hoop - teams we care about. I’m at the point ... I think Football is going to be fine. I think Edsall is proving it with every kid he pulls in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom