Ice is ready to make her debut | The Boneyard

Ice is ready to make her debut

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

We are ready for her too. I'm wondering if she will be the 5th starter this year. Time will tell. I think Ice will be the player we all want and expect ((need) her to be. There's something about her that makes me think she's special. Can't put my finger on it, but it's there. :cool:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I also hope that we have healthy competition amongst our post players but one thing that I think a lot of us have seen is the fact that most freshmen and sophomores don't have the impact that we fans "expect" them to have consistently. There are exceptions of course, for example, the uninjured versions of Paige, Azzi and Caroline. Aaliyah was always a good player but I think her junior season showed us that it took until last season to show us her true capabilities. This is why I will always wait until the season is well in progress before I get my hopes really, really up for the incoming/redshirt freshmen.
But as I posted, there have been (and will be) exceptions, so.......

Reaction Score
I also hope that we have healthy competition amongst our post players but one thing that I think a lot of us have seen is the fact that most freshmen and sophomores don't have the impact that we fans "expect" them to have consistently. There are exceptions of course, for example, the uninjured versions of Paige, Azzi and Caroline. Aaliyah was always a good player but I think her junior season showed us that it took until last season to show us her true capabilities. This is why I will always wait until the season is well in progress before I get my hopes really, really up for the incoming/redshirt freshmen.
But as I posted, there have been (and will be) exceptions, so.......
Very true but in the case of Ice, she appears to have some very advanced offense weapons which should be made evident pretty early in her career or at least that is the hope.....

Reaction Score
Looks like there could be healthy competition between Ice and Jana for that post position..........I could see the two of them playing together at times also against bigger teams.......should be fun to watch.....
The paint could well belong to Ice Jana Ayanna and Amari in 2024-25. They need to learn their business this season to get ready for it. This should be a very interesting year in the post at Storrs.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The paint could well belong to Ice Jana Ayanna and Amari in 2024-25. They need to learn their business this season to get ready for it. This should be a very interesting year in the post at Storrs.
Especially if they have or can learn to position themselves in the paint, and block or alter shots by opponents attacking the rim (of which I’m sure there will be many) WITHOUT fouling.

Staying on the floor and engaged in the game should be their first priority. Players thought twice about driving the lane while Olivia Nelson-Ododa was patrolling the paint.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She's what I'm most looking forward to seeing. Her presence in the lane is going to change the offense and defense for the better. Offensively, finishing in the lane combined with her mid-range jumper. Defensively she is wide and not many posts will be able to knock her out of position.

Reaction Score
Brady is the key to the season, imo. She can help with both the inside and outside game. She helps replace Dorka's productivity. Hopefully, she will play big minutes, and Jana can spell her at the 4.

Reaction Score
Brady is the key to the season, imo. She can help with both the inside and outside game. She helps replace Dorka's productivity. Hopefully, she will play big minutes, and Jana can spell her at the 4.
It looks to me like Amari and Aaliyah will share more low post minutes while Jana and Ice share more high post minutes. I say that because the one pair seems to have better post up skills and the other has better face up skills. Of course, Aaliyah can play anywhere. I wonder how Ayanna will fit in when she comes back.

Reaction Score
I think when it comes to Ice we should all just chill!!! and follow Geno's advice shut up and Play
College Basketball Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness

Reaction Score
We have a dream team this year and whoever plays or whenever they play will be doing 110% for the team and Uconn. This year is ours and all the players I feel will excel. Geno will see to that. With the cohesiveness of this team I do not see any rivalry between players. They are REALLY team oriented and are overjoyed for every player that's on the team when on the floor scoring or defending. GO HUSKIES!!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was thinking that, in Brady's debut, she'll be "Breaking the Ice." But, given the spate of injuries, that's a poor choice of wording. Let's say that her first showing will be just the "Tip of the Iceberg."

Reaction Score
Looks like there could be healthy competition between Ice and Jana for that post position..........I could see the two of them playing together at times also against bigger teams.......should be fun to watch.....
I certainly hope so. I think expecting either first year player to be as good as Dorka in her last year is a pretty high bar, but possible. If both are playing at a high level we could be better at the 4 & 5 this year. The reason I say that, is while Aaliyah and Dorka were great as starters, we didn't get Uconn level production off the bench last year. Ayanna and Amari fell short of expectations.

They may well be better this year, but we could be better at the big backups even if they are not. If both of the new bigs are performing at a high level, one could be a very high quality backup 4 or 5. Potentially a three big rotation with Aaliyah. But we have one other weapon that was not always available last year, namely Aubrey. You wouldn't want to play her at the 5, but her first two years she was a great backup at the 4. Last year because of injuries to our guards she had to be used mostly on the wing. This year she should be available for backup minutes at the 4 and the 3.

So if Ice and Jana are good, and Aubrey is usually available that could be a very good 4 player big rotation, and better than last year when we didn't have any high level backups. If Ayanna or Amari step up to earn playing time that would just be a bonus. But of course we need both Ice and Jana to be ready at a high level for that to happen.

Carnac

Reaction Score
We have a dream team this year and whoever plays or whenever they play will be doing 110% for the team and Uconn. This year is ours and all the players I feel will excel. Geno will see to that. With the cohesiveness of this team I do not see any rivalry between players. They are REALLY team oriented and are overjoyed for every player that's on the team when on the floor scoring or defending. GO HUSKIES!!!!
And if they don't, there will be reserves on the bench chomping at the bit to get in the game and give their all. :cool: Every player on the bench has one thing in common....they ALL want to play. Put me in coach, I'm ready to play. :) This is the first time I've seen "dream team" used in reference to THIS team, but it's true. This IS a dream team. 14 Healthy players (7 upperclassmen & 7 underclassmen) that can ALL play. No projects on this team. Every player on this year's team was recruited out of high school and joined the team as a freshman.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That’s who Ice was in the FIBA games last summer. I expect it’s who she’ll be again in November. And not only was she a great rebounder. She also knows how to make a quick transition outlet pass off a rebound. Watch the replays of those FIBA games and you’ll see it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom