I would like to thank Dan Hurley | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I would like to thank Dan Hurley

Reaction Score
Despite the current woes, I want to thank DH for rekindling my love of college hoops. While I pretty much always watched UConn games throughout the down years, the knowledge that we weren't going anywhere took away my motivation to watching what other top teams were doing. Why rub it in.

With this year's start and talk (until a few days ago) of a top seed, I've been watching a ton of games with actual interest in the outcomes. It's been fun, and I'm realizing how much I missed it.

And that's all I have to say about that.
Yes great recruiter
Horrible coach

Reaction Score
Watching all of these games its interesting what our returning players have improved on since last season and where they have actually regressed. This is based off eye test only.

Hawkins
Improvements: ball handling, rebounding, drawing fouls (especially on 3's), aggressively letting it fly from deep.
Regressions: No glaring regressions...defense seems to be decent but not much improved.

Sanogo
Improvements: outside shooting
Regressions: rebounding, defense, shot blocking
Earlier in the season I would say his passing had improved slightly but lately he hasn't shown that.

Jackson
Improvements: Outside shooting (with more volume), playing under more control with his ball handling
Regressions: on ball defense seems to have gotten worse.
Unfortunately, passing, rebounding and driving have all stayed the same and he still can't create for himself, making us more predictable on offense than we already are.

Johnson
We haven't seen anything yet.

Reaction Score
as much as he is great athlete, he was beat several times on man defense badly

Reaction Score
My grades for Dan Hurley in the 3 critical areas of CBB coaching:

Recruiting - A
Culture Building/Motivation - A
Strategy/Xs & Os - C

That averages out to about a B+ overall. Not too shabby but as a top 10 job in CBB can we do better? Is Steve Pikiell better? Nate Oats?

Hurley has shown he is a coach who is really good at turning around programs in disarray, as he did at Wagner & URI. Programs in need of turnarounds usually are hurting in all 3 categories mentioned above. So DH comes in and does a nice job with recruiting and motivating the troops and there is a nice jump in the win column as a result. But to take the next step to a championship level you also need the X’s & O’s piece (unless you’re Calipari with Memphis and early Kentucky teams so obscenely talented they could overcome his lack of strategic acumen).

At the top levels of CBB, most everybody (not Georgetown) is good at Recruiting and Motivation - you need the Xs and Os piece to win championships. You aren’t beating Greg McDermott or Sean Miller or, in the old days, Jay Wright just because you have good players and get them to play hard.

And please stop with the post-game press conferences saying we were out-toughed. How about some in-game strategy and adjustments?
It comes down to in-game coaching and DH has shown that is not his strength.

Reaction Score
My grades for Dan Hurley in the 3 critical areas of CBB coaching:

Recruiting - A
Culture Building/Motivation - A
Strategy/Xs & Os - C

That averages out to about a B+ overall. Not too shabby but as a top 10 job in CBB can we do better? Is Steve Pikiell better? Nate Oats?

Hurley has shown he is a coach who is really good at turning around programs in disarray, as he did at Wagner & URI. Programs in need of turnarounds usually are hurting in all 3 categories mentioned above. So DH comes in and does a nice job with recruiting and motivating the troops and there is a nice jump in the win column as a result. But to take the next step to a championship level you also need the X’s & O’s piece (unless you’re Calipari with Memphis and early Kentucky teams so obscenely talented they could overcome his lack of strategic acumen).

At the top levels of CBB, most everybody (not Georgetown) is good at Recruiting and Motivation - you need the Xs and Os piece to win championships. You aren’t beating Greg McDermott or Sean Miller or, in the old days, Jay Wright just because you have good players and get them to play hard.

And please stop with the post-game press conferences saying we were out-toughed. How about some in-game strategy and adjustments?
It comes down to in-game coaching and DH has shown that is not his strength.
This exactly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom