I wish it wasn't a Lady Vol that said this.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I wish it wasn't a Lady Vol that said this....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
...but she is and she did.

I, for one, am glad.

The last UConn-Tenn game was in 2007 -- Stewie & Tuck were in the seventh grade. The players today probably barely even recall the CT-TN rivalry. Should our paths ever cross again, I want them primed and focused on mass destruction. These quotes should help.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I agree..my point is not that UCONN should encourage players to go elsewhere but to say that a player can never be great unless they go to UCONN..if someone wants to come fine..but if they don't their choice should be embraced with anticipation that maybe folks will see some competitive games in the future!..instead of putting them in the irrelevant box...

UCONN fans are very used to players choosing to go elsewhere. UCONN is not everyone's cup of tea. The roll of the WNBA and USA Basketball is a tremendous indicator of the kind of player that often comes to UCONN and what they get out of being part of the program.

It is very true that a player can be great going somewhere else. It is, also, true that as great as they may be there they will likely not be as good as they could be if they came to UCONN and experienced the same pushing and striving for greatness that UCONN stars have experienced across the history of the program. Geno will do for them what he did for DT and others refusing to let them to cheat their talent if they truly want to be the best they can be and are willing to pay the price.

Reaction Score
Geno is a great coach..his record speaks for himself..recruiting has definitely been in his favor over the years..but I think there are several, if not most of them, coaches that push and strive for greatness..or at least try to get the most on and off the court from his players..it's insulting to insinuate that other college coaches don't..but let's not make any mistake..there are no great coaches without great players...lets swap him with the Houston coach..which team do you think would win more games or NCs?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geno is a great coach..his record speaks for himself..recruiting has definitely been in his favor over the years..but I think there are several, if not most of them, coaches that push and strive for greatness..or at least try to get the most on and off the court from his players..it's insulting to insinuate that other college coaches don't..but let's not make any mistake..there are no great coaches without great players...lets swap him with the Houston coach..which team do you think would win more games or NCs?

Geno will likely not win a championship with Houston's talent but I do expect he will get more from that talent than any other coach. Remember he built UCONN from a program that was non-existent. He has had those teams where the team was talented by other teams and built the tradition one win at a time. As his coaching staff has had transitions over the years UCONN has never dropped a beat.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
UCONN and Duke both have front courts. I would also put Notre Dame ahead of them, and possibly Maryland. Cal (depending on Brandon's health), KY, Stanford, potentially UNC are a few others that should be pretty good.

Second, the statement is so over-the-top absurd that it deserves mockery. I expect the Duke team to say they think they can hang with UConn. Nothing wrong with that statement. I'd smile at the enthusiasm if she had said that, with Russell, they were on the top frontcourt in the country.

That isn't what was said. She said, about a front-court that hasn't played one second, that they are hands down the best frontcout.

It would be like a Boneyarder saying "Hands down, the Boneyard is the best wbb forum in the country" Oh wait, that's not a good analogy because it is true.

Let's try again.

It would be like Miley Cyrus saying she was Hands down, the most respected pop start in the country.

Not to be arrogant, but I'm hands down the best non-UCONN fan poster who happens to live in the piedmont triad area of NC ;)

Reaction Score
...but she is and she did.

The Lady Vols don't need her to be a star right away. [Mercedes] Russell just has to fill a role on what junior forward Cierra Burdick calls "hands down... the best frontcourt in the country."

Tennessee returns 6-2 sophomore Bashaara Graves, last season's Southeastern Conference newcomer of the year. The Lady Vols also bring back 6-3 junior Isabelle Harrison, who averaged 9.5 points, 7.5 rebounds and 2.1 blocks per game last season. Burdick and sophomores Jasmine Jones and Nia Moore give Tennessee five returning players who are at least 6-2.

Now Tennessee adds Russell, only the sixth player 6-5 or taller to suit up for the Lady Vols.

Mizzes Dolson, Stewart, Tuck, and Stokes, you know, the ones that won the National Championship in April, beg to differ.

Linky

I'm not trying to start a UConn-LV thing here, just found the comment odd coming from from, well, anyone.

Agree that adding Russell looks great on paper. Everyone looks good on paper with that kind of rating out of HS, but we all know it's what you do on the court that matters. I will formulate an opinion of this "hands down...the best frontcourt in the country" at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
that's the difference..nobody really cares what a says (maybe Miley would) except us losers spending time on message boards..this is a young player with confidence in her team and the upcoming season..I love to see that... versus a bunch of chatter from front-running fans...

You seem like a very bitter individual. We on The Boneyard tell it like it is. The fact is UCONN has by far the best front line women's basketball and its not close.

Reaction Score
Geno will likely not win a championship with Houston's talent but I do expect he will get more from that talent than any other coach. Remember he built UCONN from a program that was non-existent. He has had those teams where the team was talented by other teams and built the tradition one win at a time. As his coaching staff has had transitions over the years UCONN has never dropped a beat.
That is why I think Geno is a great coach and UCONN is/was fun to follow...but the chest thumping at the top of the mountain from the brethren gets a little old..and you would be a little naive (notice I didn't say stupid, silly, ignorant, or other terms used towards me) if you didn't think the majority of woman's bball fans were rooting for the UD UCONN match up and would be overwhelmingly rooting for UD..(just as there was a lot of people rooting for anyone to beat Baylor and Griner's antics)...it's a little lonely at the top..everybody roots for the underdog..but a champion with humility (including their fan base) gets a lot more respect..

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
A fanbase is not a team. It roots for its team with unabashed love. A fanbase is not responsible for the humility of the team (and UCONN is always humble as a team you don't see them making comments like Burdick's) and celebrates even the team's humility with passion, zealousness and exhuberence. If not, don't bother to be a fan.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
For our Lady Vol fans, the point is that she said it was "hands down" the best front court in the country.

We are all willing to chalk that up to preseason bravado. Nothing wrong with that.

It doesn't matter how Russell is the highest ranked recruit since Parker or that Lockwood thinks they are really good. They are not in the neighborhood of Uconn's front line.
It may be bravado. I think we can all agree the this front court can be one of the best. Here soon we will see how good. The potential is certainly there.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
That is why I think Geno is a great coach and UCONN is/was fun to follow...but the chest thumping at the top of the mountain from the brethren gets a little old..and you would be a little naive (notice I didn't say stupid, silly, ignorant, or other terms used towards me) if you didn't think the majority of woman's bball fans were rooting for the UD UCONN match up and would be overwhelmingly rooting for UD..(just as there was a lot of people rooting for anyone to beat Baylor and Griner's antics)...it's a little lonely at the top..everybody roots for the underdog..but a champion with humility (including their fan base) gets a lot more respect..

Guess what. The players won. Not us. They have humility. Great kids. Easy to root for.

You don't like us? Then why are you here?

Uconn has 3 AA's, a sophomore considered one of the most talented in the country, and a coaching staff considered the best in the country. Those are facts.

Good for Burdick for being so confident. I'm curious why you aren't offended by her arrogance.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It may be bravado. I think we can all agree the this front court can be one of the best. Here soon we will see how good. The potential is certainly there.
They will be one of the best. No one said they weren't.

Just not hands down THE best.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

I definitely consider it one of the Top 5.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
.the arrogance of the UCONN faithful..does it ever end? Everybody knows how good UCONN is but do you really have to challenge every statement made by anybody at anytime and say..but we are better and won the championship..na na na... the young player should think they are the best if she is a competitor..UCONN might be a little easier to root for if they didn't follow their mantra of "if you don't toot your own horn someone else will use it as a spittoon" .. I tell you one thing UCONN isn't the best at..that is humility and it starts from the short guy from Philly and expands endlessly among the brethren

This is a UCONN fan site. Deal with it.

Reaction Score
Guess what. The players won. Not us. They have humility. Great kids. Easy to root for.

You don't like us? Then why are you here?

Uconn has 3 AA's, a sophomore considered one of the most talented in the country, and a coaching staff considered the best in the country. Those are facts.

Good for Burdick for being so confident. I'm curious why you aren't offended by her arrogance.

Agree about the kids.. no I don't dislike you all..but the message is becoming strong and clear that only kool aid drinkers are welcome on the board...I'm not offended by her "arrogance".. I'll call it confidence..because she is a young competitor putting in a lot of work and is setting some lofty goals..good for her..not surprising I haven't seen Stewie or Dolson or the others responding by saying..no we are the best...no need to..and shows a little class (and Geno would probably tell them to zip it up..)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not to be arrogant, but I'm hands down the best non-UCONN fan poster who happens to live in the piedmont triad area of NC ;)
Agreed.

HandsDownBox.jpg

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Agree about the kids.. no I don't dislike you all..but the message is becoming strong and clear that only kool aid drinkers are welcome on the board...I'm not offended by her "arrogance".. I'll call it confidence..because she is a young competitor putting in a lot of work and is setting some lofty goals..good for her..not surprising I haven't seen Stewie or Dolson or the others responding by saying..no we are the best...no need to..and shows a little class (and Geno would probably tell them to zip it up..)

How is the message clear that only Kool aid drinkers are welcome? That is just a lie.

And I don't have a problem with Burdick's comments or the posters that disagree with it.

Who do you root for?

Reaction Score
How is the message clear that only Kool aid drinkers are welcome? That is just a lie.

And I don't have a problem with Burdick's comments or the posters that disagree with it.

Who do you root for?
I am a fan of the woman's game. I love watching good competition. Honestly I respect UCONN a ton (who couldn't) but as a fan tend to pull for underdogs but it not like I'm an I hate UCONN fan. Two of my favorite players are Stewart (who I was around for a couple years..I'll leave it at that) and Hartley. I wasn't a Baylor or Griner fan but like watching Simms.. if that makes sense. I'm getting to the point where I know a lot of kids who are/will be playing for a lot of teams so I root for them all personally. If I had to say maybe the Virginia Cavaliers would be my favorite team..ouch I know!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Who do you root for?
Why are people bothering to respond to this poster? If he doesn't like the Boneyard, there are plenty of other boards out there.

As for the poster, one more "" reference and you're leaving permanently. I find it rather ironic that someone so condescending is barking at us for arrogance.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Why are people bothering to respond to this poster?

Nan

You ask why posters are responding?

I think he's touched a nerve…perhaps uncovered a tad of doubt lingering under the surface as it should be in all team sports situ's.

Suppose things didn't quite go the way we expect this season or any season. The Yanks with Ruth and Gehrig didn't win every year.

Suppose this good size front line of UTenn is indeed with the addition of Russell our equal; we all know that Graves exceeded expectations.

Suppose, suppose, suppose…all very unlikely, a monster crap shoot

Still, for most honest folks, there is always some lingering doubt, some insecurity.
That makes Geno's accomplishments all the more the legends of yore. He pulls the rabbit out of the hat season after season.

But there were the Notre Dame debacles last season…

We should welcome contrarians.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I agree..my point is not that UCONN should encourage players to go elsewhere but to say that a player can never be great unless they go to UCONN..if someone wants to come fine..but if they don't their choice should be embraced with anticipation that maybe folks will see some competitive games in the future!..instead of putting them in the irrelevant box...

I agree that when some go overboard, and say they cannot be great elsewhere, they have gone too far. That wasn't the original subject though.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan

You ask why posters are responding?

I think he's touched a nerve…perhaps uncovered a tad of doubt lingering under the surface as it should be in all team sports situ's.

Suppose things didn't quite go the way we expect this season or any season. The Yanks with Ruth and Gehrig didn't win every year.

Suppose this good size front line of UTenn is indeed with the addition of Russell our equal; we all know that Graves exceeded expectations.

Suppose, suppose, suppose…all very unlikely, a monster crap shoot

Still, for most honest folks, there is always some lingering doubt, some insecurity.
That makes Geno's accomplishments all the more the legends of yore. He pulls the rabbit out of the hat season after season.

But there were the Notre Dame debacles last season…

We should welcome contrarians.
I have no problem with contrarians - the board has several who manage to get their point across without insulting not only the "'yarders" (this is an insult from the sewer pit known as the ESPN board) but UConn fans in general. The contrarians here usually speak out to stimulate conversation; this guy just wanted to insult us.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
UCONN and Duke both have front courts. I would also put Notre Dame ahead of them, and possibly Maryland. Cal (depending on Brandon's health), KY, Stanford, potentially UNC are a few others that should be pretty good.

I can't argue with that (although I was concerned you were going to say you were the best Duke fan, but luckily you added the location qualifier. I'm pretty sure Crazy Cam lives elsewhere. :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I have no problem with contrarians - the board has several who manage to get their point across without managing to insult not only the "'yarders" (this is an insult from the sewer pit known as the ESPN board) but UConn fans in general. The contrarians here usually speak out to stimulate conversation; this guy just wanted to insult us.

Actually, it began long ago on The Summitt and was dragged to the ESPN board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom