(I think) Evina (will be) Squeezed Out | Page 2 | The Boneyard

(I think) Evina (will be) Squeezed Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
By the time she gets to Storrs Azzi will be over 2 years from her surgery. She had her surgery about 7 months before Evina .

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I happened to re-watch THAT game last night (yes, the one in the land of the Razorbacks with the regrettable result), and I witnessed Evina play in a way that I had frankly forgotten she could. Here is the major part of her stat line:

40 minutes (!!)
6-for-9 shooting
5-for-7 on 3's (!!)
19 points
7 assists
6 rebounds
2 turnovers
3 fouls

On the UConn side, she was overshadowed only by Paige, who shot 10-of-15, 3-of-3 on 3-pointers, only 2 assists and 2 turnovers, and 27 points -- many of which were scored in the final quarter.

That was the part of the season when Evina had her 3-point shot working and was really playing well. Now I wonder if the 40-minute effort in Arkansas overtaxed her knee and made her shot more wobbly ever since then.

The decision that she faces after this season is whether to go pro and make as much money as she can before her knee gives out (as Morgan Tuck's apparently has), or to spend another year at UConn burnishing her resume for a higher and perhaps less risky fate in the WNBA draft. That will be a tough decision.

If she does return, then her minutes will depend on her 3-point shot. If the Evina of Arkansas can return, she will play a lot of minutes and probably start. If her 3-point shot is not reliable, then she will lose minutes to other players like Azzi who can land that shot more reliably (presumably).

Reaction Score
Why was this thread allowed? What kind of heading is that?
Monitoring very inconsistent! What if the young lady read this nonsense?
Life is one day at a time. All we can do is our best, plan for the future, taking into account different possibilities.
Why is the BY continuously obsessed with next year?
Come on, we can do better.

Reaction Score
I have always surmised that she will stay.
That her knee limits her value in the pros.
and that there is the smallest chance that a summer of rehab in Connecticut
will be the difference maker.

And although I hate the premise of the thread
I accept that it may be in someway accurate
But if she stays, and she is healthier...
good use will be made of her abilities.
i feel it in my bones.
I think you're right. When Caroline Doty was a senior, she was seriously hobbled with a knee injury and wore an enormous brace. Geno used her knowledge of his system and her experience to start Doty almost every game. She didn't stay in for long, but she was there to steady the team and point it in the proper direction.
Evina could serve a similar role. Not necessarily starting, she could enter the game if things were coming off the rails. She is undervalued in the same way some women are who work in the background of their families in order to anchor the ship.
Show the lady some love.

Reaction Score
(1) This is terrible thread title. It's use of the past tense suggested that something had just happened to Evina.
(2) Seriously, we are worrying that IF evina comes back NEXT YEAR, then she MIGHT get no playing time, even though we have NCAA tournament game in 3 days?

Reaction Score
Have we not learned one critical thing? The ability to play stifling defense dictates one’s status in Geno’s pecking order. He pointedly challenged CW this year to become a defensive stopper and she responded better than any of us might have imagined. Had she not responded, her future role on the team was in doubt. Ironically and fortuitously, her offensive production increased as well. Next season , CD, SP and AM will have their minutes (or at least their starting status) defined more by their defense than by their PPG numbers. Geno knows what he gets from this year’s starters, and he won’t disrupt that unnecessarily. Similarly, AG and AdB will get their rewards next season based on defending and rebounding, with any offense being a bonus.

Reaction Score
What's wrong with enjoying the college experience another year? After the past year and half, of a half-arsed college experience, why not enjoy a normal college year, and get another degree. Another year of basketball is a plus!

Reaction Score
I happened to re-watch THAT game last night (yes, the one in the land of the Razorbacks with the regrettable result), and I witnessed Evina play in a way that I had frankly forgotten she could. Here is the major part of her stat line:

40 minutes (!!)
6-for-9 shooting
5-for-7 on 3's (!!)
19 points
7 assists
6 rebounds
2 turnovers
3 fouls

On the UConn side, she was overshadowed only by Paige, who shot 10-of-15, 3-of-3 on 3-pointers, only 2 assists and 2 turnovers, and 27 points -- many of which were scored in the final quarter.

That was the part of the season when Evina had her 3-point shot working and was really playing well. Now I wonder if the 40-minute effort in Arkansas overtaxed her knee and made her shot more wobbly ever since then.

The decision that she faces after this season is whether to go pro and make as much money as she can before her knee gives out (as Morgan Tuck's apparently has), or to spend another year at UConn burnishing her resume for a higher and perhaps less risky fate in the WNBA draft. That will be a tough decision.

If she does return, then her minutes will depend on her 3-point shot. If the Evina of Arkansas can return, she will play a lot of minutes and probably start. If her 3-point shot is not reliable, then she will lose minutes to other players like Azzi who can land that shot more reliably (presumably).
Do any of us truly know the long term knee issues Evina is facing? Perhaps another year in college will give it more time to heal and help her draft stock go up. I hate these threads where there is speculation about issues few if any have anything factual to add but its a slow news day.

Reaction Score
While Paige is (by far) the best player on the team, Evina is the MVP of the team and the team would have not been as successful without her leadership, maturity and sacrifice. IMO the best thing for her would be to got in the draft this year as she will be chosen late first round or second round and will have a chance to fulfill her dreams of playing in the WNBA. Next season, while i believe she'll start but her minutes will be down and her attributes to the team will be covered by the growing up of all the freshmen and especially Paige taking more of an active leadership role. It is very possible that she'll be even more effective next season with the familiarity of the players but she will have a chance to get injured and/or getting lower on the draft board as 2022 is considered a much stronger draft than 2021.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
OK, just a word in defense of the OP. It was his second post on the BoneYard. The underlying message was one of sympathy for the situation Evina may find herself in next year. Poorly titled...yes. Poorly timed.. maybe. Ill intentioned...no.
Let's cut a newbie a little slack.
Keep posting @PvP, you'll be fine.

Reaction Score
It is often said that often bad things happen to good people. Evina has been everything UConn has needed this year without any thought to her personal stats or prospects. It has been only about doing whatever the team required to win. Now looking ahead to next year, if she doesn't opt to go professional, all that unselfish effort will be rewarded by a drastic reduction in minutes assuming that Azzi is as good as advertised. If she is, Azzi will be Geno's starter next to Paige and Christyn. With Liv as a given, I have to believe that Geno will be deciding between Nika and Aaliyah depending of the opponent, with the one not starting most likely the first sub. After that there still remain many other options -- Aubrey, Caroline, Saylor, Mir, even Anna -- to share minutes. Evina should have gotten at least an honorable mention for the All-Big East Conference and/ or Tournament Team but again her contributions were so distributed that they were easy to ignore, except by Geno who has praised her repeatedly all season. I hope for her sake that she goes pro, even if her unselfish numbers don't result in a WNBA draft selection. She doesn't deserve what will happen to her next season if she returns.
Taking a touch of umbrage at the title “Evina Squeezed Out”. What the heck ? Covid ? Injured at practice ? Declared ineligible ? I grew up seeing the Daily News “grab ya” headline...and we only occasionally fell for it.

Reaction Score
Do any of us truly know the long term knee issues Evina is facing? Perhaps another year in college will give it more time to heal and help her draft stock go up. I hate these threads where there is speculation about issues few if any have anything factual to add but its a slow news day.
Evina is a smart person. And in the best place for her knee, her career, and experiences that come once in a lifetime. She knows the condition of her knee and I have the feeling she’s decided that playing hard now, for Geno and these kids, and for a shot at a brass ring is what she’s meant to do. The future is never certain.

Reaction Score
Geez Louise. Can't we just celebrate her invaluable contributions this year--this is someone Paige called the team MVP and by all appearances is quietly the glue on the court--without gently pushing her out?

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
When Geno has had a full returning team, he hasn't started superstars. Maya came off the bench as a freshman until injuries hit, Taurasi came off the bench until injuries hit. But ... if he has ten players he feels confident in playing, he plays all ten (see Olympic and WC squads) if he has eight, he'll play eight. If you have two players for the same position, it is better to have them each play 20 minutes full out and fully aggressive than play one who is pacing themselves half the time on court.

He loved running pressing and trapping defenses when he had the guards and forwards to do it, and that requires a lot of subs because players are scrambling around the full 7,290 square feet of the court, and because that kind of aggression leads to a few more fouls 75 feet from the basket. If next year's freshman are good enough and this years freshman improve enough, they will get meaningful minutes - they may not get 30 minutes but they will sweat and their uniforms will need to be washed, and the floor burns will need treatment.

As for Evina - she will get minutes if she returns and she will get drafted in the first round if she leaves.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Azzi will start. We have a complete starting 5 with existing chemistry returning. Geno tends to only start freshman when there is a direct need (e.g. Maya). If she replaces any starter it would be Nika. But coming off the bench for 25 mpg would be more than appropriate for Azzi. It’s likely most players won’t have to play as many minutes next year.
Until EW makes a decision on next season we just can't speculate who the starting 5 will be..

Reaction Score
It is often said that often bad things happen to good people. Evina has been everything UConn has needed this year without any thought to her personal stats or prospects. It has been only about doing whatever the team required to win. Now looking ahead to next year, if she doesn't opt to go professional, all that unselfish effort will be rewarded by a drastic reduction in minutes assuming that Azzi is as good as advertised. If she is, Azzi will be Geno's starter next to Paige and Christyn. With Liv as a given, I have to believe that Geno will be deciding between Nika and Aaliyah depending of the opponent, with the one not starting most likely the first sub. After that there still remain many other options -- Aubrey, Caroline, Saylor, Mir, even Anna -- to share minutes. Evina should have gotten at least an honorable mention for the All-Big East Conference and/ or Tournament Team but again her contributions were so distributed that they were easy to ignore, except by Geno who has praised her repeatedly all season. I hope for her sake that she goes pro, even if her unselfish numbers don't result in a WNBA draft selection. She doesn't deserve what will happen to her next season if she returns.
I think your title is unnecessarily hyperbolic. First, we don’t even know if she’ll be here next year so why not wait until we know that much at least? Second, even if that were to happen, it is simply the way things work. Should Geno sacrifice the good of the team, his duty to put the best team possible out on the floor, to play someone who, though universally acknowledged as a wonderful person/team player, is simply not physically capable or as skilled as another team member? I love Evina but I don’t think even she (assuming she stays) would/could expect to play over a clearly superior teammate. Having said that, Geno has demonstrated over and over that he is loyal to his seniors and I think any implication that somehow he is going to be unfair to Mama E is just wrong. He will find a way for her to contribute if she stays.

Reaction Score
Maybe Evina see's it as a team game and not about what's best for her personally. Not everybody is made to play team sports...

Reaction Score
None of us are coaching the team so what is said here does not matter. The coaches will decide who starts and who gets meaningful minutes. Sometimes the best/most talented players dont start because you want people coming in off the bench who can change the game (i.e. Edward's role this year). That being said, if Azzi is as good or better than Paige, she is going to get major major minutes from the beginning. I dont think anyone would say that Paige and Azzi aren't better talents than Evina, CW, Nika. and Anna (even though all of those ladies are likeable and fan favorites for the roles they play). The other question is nobody knows how quickly the new players will adjust to college play, especially the expectations to play defense and play off the ball. It will all sort itself out in good time and regardless the team looks to be very deep and talented beginning next year and for the forseeable future. They will need to be as there is going to be strong competition for National Championships in the next few years as well. Should be fun to watch. I suspect Geno will play to win and will play the people who will contribute the most to that goal. Minutes will be hard earned.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Let's take a step back.

Evina was a transfer from Tennessee, not exactly our fav team.
And she didn't even play last season: drats: NCAA, drats: bum knees.
And her mom was supposed to be a pill and she herself had said such questionable things
about her elders.
Who knew that we would be getting the ultimate teammate, the much needed glue to hold tour (virtually) pre-adolescent group together.

We should all thank our lucky stars that Elvina Westbrook descended to lowly Storrs by way of a Deus ex Machina to bring stability and wisdom.

Reaction Score
... As for Evina - she will get minutes if she returns and she will get drafted in the first round if she leaves.
I agree Evina will get minutes, quality minutes, if she returns.

A lot of folks here have said that she also has the option of going pro. I hope she doesn’t choose that route. I don’t see her getting drafted, certainly not in the first round. Her injury has lingered and that’s going to be an issue if she hopes to get drafted.

I think the best thing she could do for herself is to come back and have a strong senior year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom