I am so done with you ESPN! Done, you hear me! | The Boneyard

I am so done with you ESPN! Done, you hear me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
ESPN has named Rebecca Greenwell of Duke as it's player of the Week. Nothing against Rebecca or Duke but the Duke win over SC was great in which Greenwell had 29 points.
Duke's Greenwell is espnW's player of the week.

Here is the most outlandish part: Also considered were Keyona Hayes, Miami; Alexis Jones, Baylor; Maria Martianez, Oral Roberts; Jessica Thomas, Miami.

Not considered was Napheesa Collier who stats for the week included: three games where she scored 23, 18 and 24 points, converting 30 of 39 shots.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think its GREAT!!!! I can hear Geno now at practice to Pheeza, Kia at al. ESPN doesn't think any of you deserve consideration for player of the week. Just one more piece of motivation heading into Wednesday's showdown in South Bend on ESPN.

Reaction Score
ESPN has named Rebecca Greenwell of Duke as it's player of the Week. Nothing against Rebecca or Duke but the Duke win over SC was great in which Greenwell had 29 points.

Here is the most outlandish part: Also considered were Keyona Hayes, Miami; Alexis Jones, Baylor; Maria Martianez, Oral Roberts; Jessica Thomas, Miami.

Not considered was Napheesa Collier who stats for the week included: three games where she scored 23, 18 and 24 points, converting 30 of 39 shots.

COCO: yikes...is Oral Roberts still lacing em up?? ;)

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score

I was literally just looking at that and thinking the EXACT same thing.

Reaction Score
I think its GREAT!!!! I can hear Geno now at practice to Pheeza, Kia at al. ESPN doesn't think any of you deserve consideration for player of the week. Just one more piece of motivation heading into Wednesday's showdown in South Bend on ESPN.
I was a little butthurt for a moment until I thought about how Geno's probably going off in practice right now, telling them how they think they're good but they're not good enough for ESPN Player of the Week and getting under their skin in preparation for the big game. :D And for that reason alone, I'm all good with this.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I have no problems with ESPN today ;)
Me either.

images

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I think ESPN is into the "Anybody but UConn" mindset.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I actually feel really good that Greenwell had such a great game yesterday. I remember when South Carolina came up here as the #1 team in Greenwell's freshman season. If my memory serves correctly... We were up 50-49 in the closing seconds, and Greenwell turned the ball over.... which lead to SC hitting the winning shot. She was in tears after the game. Redemption was hers yesterday :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I actually feel really good that Greenwell had such a great game yesterday. I remember when South Carolina came up here as the #1 team in Greenwell's freshman season. If my memory serves correctly... We were up 50-49 in the closing seconds, and Greenwell turned the ball over.... which lead to SC hitting the winning shot. She was in tears after the game. Redemption was hers yesterday :)
I am very happy for Rebecca, she deserves to win the player of the week award.
I am not happy with ESPN. All politics is stupid but not all stupidity is political. This is stupidity of the highest order. ESPN considered two players from Miami, one player from Oral Roberts and overlook the player who was the star of a game which ESPN put up against the NFL on a Sunday afternoon on its primary network. Oral Roberts????? Really???

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Here's my silver lining. ESPN chose a group of players that were, for the most part, involved in upsets and playing over their head to a degree. Maybe, as far as ESPN is concerned, there is just an expectation that UConn has great players that are expected to play great all the time................

OK, that sounded like BS to me too after I wrote it.:confused:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Oh I would love to hear all the evidence you have "gathered" to support such a silly claim.
I like that you are trying to establish a new standard here on the wineyard by asking for evidence "gathered" to support an opinion with which you disagree. Truly groundbreaking!
Have you gathered any evidence to the contrary?

Reaction Score
I like that you are trying to establish a new standard here on the wineyard by asking for evidence "gathered" to support an opinion with which you disagree. Truly groundbreaking!
Have you gathered any evidence to the contrary?

The burden of proof falls on the person claiming bias or conspiracy theories. That person is not me.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The burden of proof falls on the person claiming bias or conspiracy theories. That person is not me.
There are no burdens just opinions. This particular opinion started with " I think......". Feel free to disagree-I certainly do.

Reaction Score
Does it really matter who is Player of the Week? As Al Davis used to say-"Just win, baby."

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Does it really matter who is Player of the Week?
Again, my issue is not who wins PoW, my issue is the lack of consideration given to Napheesa by ESPN for the award. Napheesa may never have another week like she did this week. At the end of the year AA teams are selected, AA get their name on the Wall at UCONN. Pretty hard to make AA when your best week of play is not considered by the ONLY national network broadcasting WCBB on a regular basis.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

The problem is that Pheesa is so methodical. Greenwell has a penchant for the dramatic.

They were both awesome. Pheesa will have other days.

Reaction Score
Again, my issue is not who wins PoW, my issue is the lack of consideration given to Napheesa by ESPN for the award. Napheesa may never have another week like she did this week. At the end of the year AA teams are selected, AA get their name on the Wall at UCONN. Pretty hard to make AA when your best week of play is not considered by the ONLY national network broadcasting WCBB on a regular basis.
I'd take that bet. I'll go out on a limb and say in her next 2 3/4 seasons remaining at UConn she will have a week better than this one at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom