I’d probably cancel the Hurley presser | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I’d probably cancel the Hurley presser

Reaction Score
"current trajectory continues..."
If the team shows major improvement, performs well in the conference tourney and /or makes the NIT then KO gets another year. If not DB will find way to eat the money and fire him at the end of the season. There is nothing to be gained from firing KO during the season.
I really think that DB wants to keep KO if he can but he also realizes that UConn can't afford another losing season. KO has the rest of this season to turn things around.
I never said he would be fired in season. Just if current trajectory continues he will be tied at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
No, we r the premier university in NE. Its no longer basketball. It is the international reputation that send us several hundred international students per freshman glass. It is the fact that we have the best public medical, law and business school in NE. It is the new research hubs outside the med school in Farmington that just double their venture capital money in the past 12 mths. We can always go the Illinois route now and increase our international enrollment to make up for some of the financial shortcomings. This is the new UCONN that we have to keep. This is much more importat then basketball

Did you read the word "public"?

Read what he actually said.

He didn't qualify his statement with "public" university.

Reaction Score
Read what he actually said.

He didn't qualify his statement with "public" university.
Can you imagine if the window of opportunity was longer to edit a post and the OP goes in and edits to include PUBLIC while people debate this issue?

This place would be on fire. Kinda like when the OJ jury read the verdict.

I used to moderate @ InverstorsHub where at the naked shorters are. LOL (only I get this 1) :(

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good. Get us back to a conference with a sliver of geographic sanity. We have got to let go of the football pipe dream. It's never going to happen.
Unless KO has been strapping on a helmet and accumulating brain damage unbeknownst to us, cutting football doesn't solve recruiting and coaching incompetence...somehow AAC teams are hanging in the top 20.

Reaction Score
You’re probably thinking too much into this. However I dont think Ollie will be fired after this season, I think it’s going to take another year of this mess to really convince the boosters and admin that it’s worth the buyout. I hope I’m wrong but $9+ million and “family” loyalty are very big deals.

Reaction Score
You’re probably thinking too much into this. However I dont think Ollie will be fired after this season, I think it’s going to take another year of this mess to really convince the boosters and admin that it’s worth the buyout. I hope I’m wrong but $9+ million and “family” loyalty are very big deals.
I definitely wouldn't be surprised if he's back next year, but I think that it'll be much more a result of the $9M+ than any sense of "family loyalty."

Reaction Score
Ollie's actual buy out is more in the range of like $8.2 million. $600k+ of that is incentives.

Look, the bottom line is if they feel it's time to make a change, they'll pay the buy out and that's that. There are so many ways they can do it - whether it's negotiating down on the money (which is entirely possible), and alumni contribution to take the edge off, and financing options. No one wants to burn $8+ million. No one. And it's a problem because it severely limits what they're going to be able to do heading forward for a little while. They won't be able to go north of say... $2.2-ish million to get a coach. So that'll limit them in some respects as to the candidates they want - but $2.2 million is still a lot of money to pay a coach. And a good one at that.

And also worth noting that any deal like this is usually attached to some sort of insurance that's already been earmarked to pay the debt in the case of any range of things. Let's say Ollie has a piano accidentally drop on his head - insurance covers that. It's even there for poor performance. It won't likely cover all the deal, but it'll be enough to knock a hunk off. So if they can raise a little money from alums and insurance kicks - the nut probably ends up being about half what it is now. If Ollie negotiates down, that's another thing.

I'm also interested to see what guarantees and no compete clauses are in his deal. Like if he got an offer to go elsewhere, does that void his deal (if he's coaching really well and someone wants to poach him, for example). Or - if he negotiates down - that it allows him the freedom to 1.) collect that money negotiated and 2.) actively seek new employment.

My point being - that contracts aren't just cut and dry - especially at this level. Very few schools can afford to just drop their pants and incur that much risk - and UConn certainly doesn't fall under that umbrella and didn't when he signed it. And truth be told - these things can get pricey from Ollie's side, too. He's got about $30 million in the bank between his time here and the NBA.

So we'll see - but if they have to do it - they will.

Reaction Score
Here is Ollie's contract

So here's what I got from Ollie's deal:

-$17.9 million compensation overall
-Base salary of $400k per year. Incentives for public relations, cosulting and media appearances
-Bonuses for Tournament wins, appearances, awards and conference titles
-Contract began in 2016 so breaks down as:

2016: $3 million
2017: $3 million
-------------------
2018: $3 million
2019: $3 million
2020: $3 million

-Buyout of $500k if he leaves for another DI job. Fee decreases by $100k each year. So if he took another job while under this contract - even in it - the buyout looks like it radically reduces. So lets say he took a job at Canisius or something while under contract - he gets $300k as a buy out
-No buyout/exit fee for an NBA jump

Stipulations (intersting)

-One clause says: "During the term of this agreement: (i) there is a change in the position of Athletic Director for the University such that Warde Manuel is no longer the Athletic Director, or: (ii) there is a change in the position of President of the University such that Susan Herbst is no longer the President, then in either such event the Coach shall have the right to terminate this agreement on or after the one (1) year anniversary of the earlier (i) the change of the President or Athletic Director, or (ii) the University's public announcement thereof, without being obligated to pay the termination see set forth in 11.2 and 11.2(a)

-The payment schedule has five installment of $400k. Additional compensation of $200k per year in deffered compensation ($1 million)

-If the school terminates employement of the Coach, the total sum of Deferred compensation provided for in this ageement shall immediately vest and become non-foreitable, and then be paid to the coach within ten (10) business days of the effective date of said termination.

-If the contract is terminated before May 2019, the total sum of Deerred Compensation acrued by the coach through the effective date shal immediately be paid. If the decision is before June 15, 2017, the sum is $600K

-Payment plan for all public relations events, speaking fees and media appearances are as follows: two payments of $1,200,000 to total $2,400,000 in year one, with the total increasing by $100k each year until the end of the contract. He MUST be at these events and will not exceed 20 events. Ollie himself has to go - he can't send a stand in. This includes Camps, Clinics, TV appearances, advertisements, consulting and the like.

Firing stipulations
-Physician agreement
-Resignation or retirement
-Refusal or neglect in his services in full
-Removed from the position or owtherwise disciplined for just cause as defined in the existing CBA between the University and AAUP
-Just cause includes: Violation of rules, violation of the staff, failure to render services or fulfill his duties hereunder, provided first the University furnish written notificaiton of any default under this provision and arrod the coach 10 days to remedy such default or comence diligently to remedy such default if it cannot be sured within 10 business days.
-If he's fired, he's owed the money BUT
-If he takes a job, during the tenure of the contract, he owes basically $3 million back to the university

So those are the terms.

The way I READ IT - is that just cause is broad. It probably won't be $9 million owed because if it falls under that provision, theres a bargaining process. With insurance, alumni funding, etc. My guess is the buyout would be in the $6 million range. Not good. But not insurmountable.

Reaction Score
My other guess would be he doesn't get paid the rest of the base salary of $1.2 million plus the $650k in incentives and $1 million in post season/award stuff. So he probably drops $2 million if he's canned. I think if i'm reading it correctly. Any attorneys around?

Reaction Score
Here is Ollie's contract

So here's what I got from Ollie's deal:

-$17.9 million compensation overall
-Base salary of $400k per year. Incentives for public relations, cosulting and media appearances
-Bonuses for Tournament wins, appearances, awards and conference titles
-Contract began in 2016 so breaks down as:

2016: $3 million
2017: $3 million
-------------------
2018: $3 million
2019: $3 million
2020: $3 million

-Buyout of $500k if he leaves for another DI job. Fee decreases by $100k each year. So if he took another job while under this contract - even in it - the buyout looks like it radically reduces. So lets say he took a job at Canisius or something while under contract - he gets $300k as a buy out
-No buyout/exit fee for an NBA jump

Stipulations (intersting)

-One clause says: "During the term of this agreement: (i) there is a change in the position of Athletic Director for the University such that Warde Manuel is no longer the Athletic Director, or: (ii) there is a change in the position of President of the University such that Susan Herbst is no longer the President, then in either such event the Coach shall have the right to terminate this agreement on or after the one (1) year anniversary of the earlier (i) the change of the President or Athletic Director, or (ii) the University's public announcement thereof, without being obligated to pay the termination see set forth in 11.2 and 11.2(a)

-The payment schedule has five installment of $400k. Additional compensation of $200k per year in deffered compensation ($1 million)

-If the school terminates employement of the Coach, the total sum of Deferred compensation provided for in this ageement shall immediately vest and become non-foreitable, and then be paid to the coach within ten (10) business days of the effective date of said termination.

-If the contract is terminated before May 2019, the total sum of Deerred Compensation acrued by the coach through the effective date shal immediately be paid. If the decision is before June 15, 2017, the sum is $600K

-Payment plan for all public relations events, speaking fees and media appearances are as follows: two payments of $1,200,000 to total $2,400,000 in year one, with the total increasing by $100k each year until the end of the contract. He MUST be at these events and will not exceed 20 events. Ollie himself has to go - he can't send a stand in. This includes Camps, Clinics, TV appearances, advertisements, consulting and the like.

Firing stipulations
-Physician agreement
-Resignation or retirement
-Refusal or neglect in his services in full
-Removed from the position or owtherwise disciplined for just cause as defined in the existing CBA between the University and AAUP
-Just cause includes: Violation of rules, violation of the staff, failure to render services or fulfill his duties hereunder, provided first the University furnish written notificaiton of any default under this provision and arrod the coach 10 days to remedy such default or comence diligently to remedy such default if it cannot be sured within 10 business days.
-If he's fired, he's owed the money BUT
-If he takes a job, during the tenure of the contract, he owes basically $3 million back to the university

So those are the terms.

The way I READ IT - is that just cause is broad. It probably won't be $9 million owed because if it falls under that provision, theres a bargaining process. With insurance, alumni funding, etc. My guess is the buyout would be in the $6 million range. Not good. But not insurmountable.
My other guess would be he doesn't get paid the rest of the base salary of $1.2 million plus the $650k in incentives and $1 million in post season/award stuff. So he probably drops $2 million if he's canned. I think if i'm reading it correctly. Any attorneys around?

Not an attorney but the first thing is that’s the previous contract above - not the current one (below):;)

Reaction Score
What makes people think some random HC is going to boost attendance and bring in better talent?

Also - if you are going to boo our head coach on a nationally televised game when he is announced before the game...don't bother coming. That was awful. UConn fans are so incredibly spoiled it makes me sick.

I go just to Boo Ollie! Ollie is so awful what he’s done to this program makes me sick.

Reaction Score
What makes people think some random HC is going to boost attendance and bring in better talent?

Also - if you are going to boo our head coach on a nationally televised game when he is announced before the game...don't bother coming. That was awful. UConn fans are so incredibly spoiled it makes me sick.

You should be a lot more concerned about the product Ollie is putting on National Tv. Not the fans who’ve paid to see the garabage 0-14 team vs top 50 teams.

You dont want to boo fine. If it offends you so much maybe you shouldn’t go.

Reaction Score
Yes, it is.

You know what won’t be hard? Hiring someone that will do a better job than Ollie has done the past 12 months. Honest question: how could anyone possibly do worse? Blowout losses, lack of player development, unwatchable offense, questions about his commitment, alienating players who then transfer, alienating JC. And if someone does do worse and we drop from the 150th best team that loses 5 blowouts a year to the 175th best team that loses 7 blowouts a year, who cares?

I was a huge KO believer and on the train longer than most, but you couldn’t do worse than he has the last 12 months.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not sure about that. At some point ND will have to fully join the ACC in order to be eligible for a conference title game and improve their chances at ever getting into the CFB playoff. Once that happens the ACC will likely grab another school to balance out their divisions.

No they won’t. That’s CR forum craziness.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine if the window of opportunity was longer to edit a post and the OP goes in and edits to include PUBLIC while people debate this issue?

This place would be on fire. Kinda like when the OJ jury read the verdict.

I used to moderate @ InverstorsHub where at the naked shorters are. LOL (only I get this 1) :(
I see you BlueDog. I get the naked short reference!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think there is very, very little chance Ollie gets fired this year.

That’s about as accurate a prognostication as one could make right now. There is always a slight possibility but the things that would make the removal a reality haven’t actually happened yet.

Reaction Score
Question of the day:

How much more will it cost to fire Ollie this year vs next year?

Ollie's contract seems to be a sunk cost so ignore it.

How much are we paying the new coach to start? My guess would be 2 million per year to start.

So the answer to the question how much more will it cost to fire Ollie this year vs next year is 2 million dollars which will be partly offset by ticket sales if he does a better job than Ollie.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
"Random" is a really dumb word to use in that sentence.
I like the word and stand by it. I don't care who the coach is. 95% of fans don't know any coaches other than the big name ones. I highly doubt fans are going to show up for a HC they have never heard of.

Reaction Score
This has turned into a Seinfeld episode.

What about the $10 million?

They just write it off!

Do you know what that means?

I’m not the one writing it off!

I gave you the incremental cost this year vs next year. If you are choosing to be a nitwit then be a nitwit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom