I’d probably cancel the Hurley presser | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I’d probably cancel the Hurley presser

Reaction Score
Conference realignment is dead. Dead iddillly dead.
I might be a pessimist by nature but I can't accept that as truth or I'll give up on college athletics all together

Reaction Score
FWIW, not putting much stock in this, but I heard from a very well connected HS b-ball coach (in terms of knowing college coaches and communicating them regularly) and he said that he had recently heard that Ollie is “serious trouble”

My car wash guy said the same thing.

Reaction Score
if it weren't for basketball we'd be a crappy regional university still. money to right the ship shouldn't be an issue. I don't get your obsession with Ollie. are you a personal friend or something?
No, we r the premier university in NE. Its no longer basketball. It is the international reputation that send us several hundred international students per freshman glass. It is the fact that we have the best public medical, law and business school in NE. It is the new research hubs outside the med school in Farmington that just double their venture capital money in the past 12 mths. We can always go the Illinois route now and increase our international enrollment to make up for some of the financial shortcomings. This is the new UCONN that we have to keep. This is much more importat then basketball

Reaction Score
No, we r the premier university in NE. Its no longer basketball. It is the international reputation that send us several hundred international students per freshman glass. It is the fact that we have the best public medical, law and business school in NE. It is the new research hubs outside the med school in Farmington that just double their venture capital money in the past 12 mths. We can always go the Illinois route now and increase our international enrollment to make up for some of the financial shortcomings. This is the new UCONN that we have to keep. This is much more importat then basketball
just curious, are you an alum?

Reaction Score
FWIW, not putting much stock in this, but I heard from a very well connected HS b-ball coach (in terms of knowing college coaches and communicating them regularly) and he said that he had recently heard that Ollie is “serious trouble”

"In serious trouble" meaning likely to be fired or
"Serious trouble" meaning not a good guy etc?

Reaction Score
Remember what happened to Hathaway. Due to some code of conduct issues, he did not get his otherwise contract payout.

So timeline wise ... he signed a new contract after whatever indiscretion took place correct?

Unless he continued with new code of conduct issues I don't see how you can use that to get out of a contract that presumable was signed with the AD's knowledge of past indescrrtions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ollie’s future remains uncertain. Nobody here knows. But, if AD has made a decision to fire, he’s not going to communicate it until the season ends and gets better beat on defections, as well as what coaches are available and interested. I personally think it’s more likely than not Ollie’s gone at end of year.

Reaction Score
Hope so. We can’t afford another year of this mess

Reaction Score
Anybody who believes KO is not in serious trouble is being oblivious to the what is going on with the program. Not saying it will be easy to fire him at the end of the year, but I'm sure DB is going to try all avenues on making sure he is gone if the current trajectory continues for the rest of the season.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He makes them better and what are the chances he uses the year on the back end?

I’m super-conservative with eligiblity on the football side - the percentage of good players in basketball who exhaust their eligibility after four years in the same place is so low - who cares.

It’s February.

Throwing another random piece into this mess would likely make them worse.

He’s not a real threat to head to the NBA any time soon, so keep him on the shelf.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It’s February.

He’s not a real threat to head to the NBA any time soon, so keep him on the shelf.
If I'm Wilson, I'd rather have four years instead of three and a third.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I think of Donovan Williams.
Diaco was a full blown idiot; Ollie is just incompetent. Cooler heads will prevail and he will redshirt.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Put yourself in Benedict’s shoes:

You have to drum up 10 million dollars to fire someone. You literally have to go out and beg for this money.

Someone that you just extended and while you didn’t negotiate the deal, your name is at the bottom.

When they ask you - who are you going to
replace him with? You say - hopefully Danny Hurley? And if he likes one of his P5 offers better - then what?

Then put yourself in Herbst’s shoes:

The state is going to clamp down on your university’s funding.

While it might be ‘private’ money that funds the buyout - your athletic department is bleeding like a hemophiliac at a razor blade factory.

The optics of the university burning 10 million dollars to make someone they just extended go away is horrendous. Herbst is a politician - she knows damn well that the UConn enemies in Hartford will use it as evidence they shouldn’t be funded as well as they are.

My employer makes billions a year and winning $10 million dollars to fund something is a monumental deal.

UConn’s athletic department looks at 2015 Radio Shack financials and says - what are you guys complaining about?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It’s February.

What does the NBA have to do with it?

The number of players who spend 5 years at a school is negligible.

Are we really making personel decisions with 2022 in mind?

You can’t even guess who is on the roster next season.

Reaction Score
If I'm Wilson, I'd rather have four years instead of three and a third.

If I'm Sid, I'd rather get the game action now. Get back in some sort of rhythm, get the reps, game on tape, etc. How many pros are in college for 4 years anyway? Gotta start building stock now, tire fire or not

Reaction Score
just curious, are you an alum?
As Herbst says, the athletics program is just a front porch. "Flutie effect" on the school has blown it into the stratosphere.

Reaction Score
Put yourself in Benedict’s shoes:

You have to drum up 10 million dollars to fire someone. You literally have to go out and beg for this money.

Someone that you just extended and while you didn’t negotiate the deal, your name is at the bottom.

When they ask you - who are you going to
replace him with? You say - hopefully Danny Hurley? And if he likes one of his P5 offers better - then what?

Then put yourself in Herbst’s shoes:

The state is going to clamp down on your university’s funding.

While it might be ‘private’ money that funds the buyout - your athletic department is bleeding like a hemophiliac at a razor blade factory.

The optics of the university burning 10 million dollars to make someone they just extended go away is horrendous. Herbst is a politician - she knows damn well that the UConn enemies in Hartford will use it as evidence they shouldn’t be funded as well as they are.

My employer makes billions a year and winning $10 million dollars to fund something is a monumental deal.

UConn’s athletic department looks at 2015 Radio Shack financials and says - what are you guys complaining about?
Susan knows politics. The best example is the UCONN west hartford campus. The board was all set to sell the campus to a Chinese group call Weiming for 10 mill. West hartford objected n she put a stop to the sale because of the supports she needed from WH Dems. The site was sold to WH for like a mil and then it fell through. It is still a good decision for UCONN because we were spare the massive cuts that Republican proposed. She and DB know the optics of this. KO is staying

Reaction Score
Well, nice that we have other athletic departments around here to follow. Go Camels.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom