Huskies vs. USF Game Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Huskies vs. USF Game Thread

Reaction Score
They have a lot of European players that utilize the euro step.

Euro step? I could swear near the end I saw one of their players grab a rebound and take two steps before dribbling, too. Maybe I'm just not seeing it correctly.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Baskets in the Paint Final

UConn 24 (8-6-5-5)
USF 17 (2-7-5-3)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
She's only a sophomore, which should scare the pants off every other NCAA team. She's got 2 more years to break records.

And there's still the tourneys.
Honestly Nan, that hardly seems appropriate. The hoops players definitely should keep their pants ON...:p

Reaction Score
Is it just my eyes or does it seem like FL travels an awful lot that hasn't been called? That play a minute ago where they showed the replay it looked like she stopped dribbling at the foul line, took 3 or 4 steps and put up a layup with no travel called.
Yup, and there was a "great pass!" from Flores for a layup that didn't go in, but it was not a great pass, it was a travel.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Why Geno doesn't let Pheesa reach 40 pts tonight?

Because they just don't care about that stuff. When Beth was saying "I wonder if they know on the bench how close she is?" - I said to my wife "She's about to come out , she's done a night's work".

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Yup, and there was a "great pass!" from Flores for a layup that didn't go in, but it was not a great pass, it was a travel.

Agreed. We saw that too.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Because they just don't care about that stuff. When Beth was saying "I wonder if they know on the bench how close she is?" - I said to my wife "She's about to come out , she's done a night's work".
I agree.
UConn is short a player right now in Nurse.
Who cares about milestones or round numbers in a non close game situation. If it were close, fine, keep her in.
The only number that should matter is the 12th Banner at Gampel.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If Gabby used the Backboard like Napheesa does, probably doesn't miss as many easy shots. I find it amazing how often Napheesa uses the backboard. She almost never misses when she does. :)

Somewhere Tina Charles is smiling :)

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
25 Assists and only 4 turnovers. Great,

Too many points in the paint for USF, 17 baskets, not so great.

Reaction Score
Observations from the Oregon State guy. First time seeing UCONN (and without Kia Nurse):

1. UCONN has to be guarded at the NBA 3-point line (just incredible shooters). You must also fight through screens & don't switch as Gabby & Napheesa will just dump it to the other player
2. UCONN players don't hold the ball, that ball is constantly on the move (very impressive)
3. Without tall UCONN players, rebounding was pretty darn good (great boxing out, and, very quick jumpers)
4. Napheesa? is crazy good. Have to have tall & quick defensive player/players to slow her down to have any chance against UCONN
5. UCONN is just relentless, no give up in any player

Now the observed "potential" chinks in the armor that is UCONN

1. USF was able to penetrate on UCONN multiple times. A tall, solid rebounding team could get 2nd shots (assuming the penetrating player got a shot off). I imagine that would not have happened had Kia Nurse been in the rotation
2. I saw many instances where USF beat UCONN down the court after a rebound/turnover
3. Said by many of you on a different thread, that foul trouble could be problematic

Having said all of that, I don't see any team beating UCONN

Reaction Score
Why Geno doesn't let Pheesa reach 40 pts tonight?
With a 6/7 player rotation Geno can't afford an injury to his best player at this point in the season in a blowout.

Reaction Score
If Gabby used the Backboard like Napheesa does, probably doesn't miss as many easy shots. I find it amazing how often Napheesa uses the backboard. She almost never misses when she does. :)

Napheesa said in an interview recently that she did not know how to use the backboard before she came to UConn and the assistant coaches taught her how to use the backboard as her friend and now she find it very useful.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
25 Assists and only 4 turnovers. Great,

Too many points in the paint for USF, 17 baskets, not so great.
Couldn't afford to have people foul out. The bench was non-existent tonight

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Another win against South Florida = An undefeated season, and 104 straight wins.

*This team is truly amazing, and fun to watch. I am enjoying this season, and this ride .

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I thought after S Fl got over the shock and awe,
they played a creditable game...strong offensively, almost until the end.
Yet they could barely stay within 30
Our team is too much; playing wonderfully.
Interestingly; all zone in the last game; all man tonight.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Chong: 3 for 7 from 3, helped her 3-point pct. One assist and two turnovers! Disaster for her A/TO ratio.

Three times this year she has lost control of the ball trying to pass. Did she ever do that before? A dinged digit? I hope not.

Reaction Score
We're going to win this game, but we've given USF an enormous amount of confidence.

Just like Tulane, in going from the first game to the second, they will have shaved about 40 points off of the margin.

We could face both of those teams in the AACT.

Are you serious? You're actually scared UCONN is going to lose vs these teams AT HOME (barring further injuries?)?

You know Kia is probably going to play, right? And you're scared?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom