Huskies playing a tourney in the Caymans this Thanksgiving | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Huskies playing a tourney in the Caymans this Thanksgiving

Reaction Score
Am I correct to assume that these are all preseason games and do not get added to their win/loss record for the year? In other words, a win or loss in these games will not matter?
No, these games count on the season record the same as the Phil Knight Legacy tournament games counted last year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Am I correct to assume that these are all preseason games and do not get added to their win/loss record for the year? In other words, a win or loss in these games will not matter?
The only games that UConn or any other team can play where the stats and win/loss do not count are EXHIBITION games. The games that are scheduled to be played on their European tour in August are exhibition games. The first game UConn plays in November is an exhibition game. You’ll never see the stats or results of these games in a record book. All other preseason games count.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The goal of our team is to be the #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. I want them to be ranked #1 during the season, but if we are forced to play LSU before the team has jelled then we could lose that game. Remember a few years ago when both UConn and Notre Dame were undefeated going into the tournament. We ended up winning the NC and knock off undefeated ND in one swoop. So, I would like the two teams NOT to meet in the Caymans. Besides, a game against Virginia Tech or a very talented UCLA team would also be great theater. Let's get through the season with the great teams we are already scheduled to meet and worry about LSU at the best opportune time later on.
I understand and respect your take on this. I've been informed by another poster that while the organizers have not yet announced the parings for the showcase, UConn and LSU WILL NOT play each other. Of course, we have no way of knowing if this was mutually agreed to by Geno and Kim. LSU would not have had any more time to jel than we would.

Call me crazy, but I never go into any game thinking we might lose. And if we do, so what. Do you think UConn will run the table and go undefeated this year? If we do lose, would you rather it be to a top 5 opponent, or an unranked Big East conference team like we did last year? Every year the most important games are the last 6. If we can win those, it doesn't matter how many we lose along the way.

So perhaps we can look for (and get excited about) matchups with UCLA and Virginia Tech. I'm not going to assume anything here, but we know Geno does not have a history of shying away or "ducking" anyone. I remember years ago him very clearly saying......."anyone, anywhere, anytime." Until I hear differently, I'll assume that has not changed. :cool:

Reaction Score
The goal of our team is to be the #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. I want them to be ranked #1 during the season, but if we are forced to play LSU before the team has jelled then we could lose that game. Remember a few years ago when both UConn and Notre Dame were undefeated going into the tournament. We ended up winning the NC and knock off undefeated ND in one swoop. So, I would like the two teams NOT to meet in the Caymans. Besides, a game against Virginia Tech or a very talented UCLA team would also be great theater. Let's get through the season with the great teams we are already scheduled to meet and worry about LSU at the best opportune time later on.
I respectfully disagree. Play anyone, anytime, anywhere. Make LSU worry about UConn, not the other way around.

Reaction Score
What is up with that?? We want to see LSU vs. UCONN! So disappointing. Ugh!

Reaction Score
What is up with that?? We want to see LSU vs. UCONN! So disappointing. Ugh!
When you have eight teams involved this is how these things go. My guess is the matchups for LSU and UConn will be one super easy game against a little school and then a game against a bigger name brand school. So maybe UConn plays Niagara in the first game and then Virginia Tech for the second game while LSU gets Tulane and Kansas for its two games, or something like that.

Reaction Score
When you have eight teams involved this is how these things go. My guess is the matchups for LSU and UConn will be one super easy game against a little school and then a game against a bigger name brand school. So maybe UConn plays Niagara in the first game and then Virginia Tech for the second game while LSU gets Tulane and Kansas for its two games, or something like that.
Ooh. Okay. Just sad that they can’t play each other so early in the season. Dang.

Reaction Score
I doubt LSU plays Tulane in the tournament since they have an annual game in the OOC slate which has been going on for years.

But didn't a writer last month mention UCONN wouldn't play LSU or VT? Sounds like UCONN would play UCLA from how it all sounded and LSU/VT rematch may happen but who knows. Sometimes these schedules do change but as of now it sounded like UCONN/UCLA were on one side and LSU/VT on another.

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree. Play anyone, anytime, anywhere. Make LSU worry about UConn, not the other way around.

Right. In 2013 UConn lost three times to NDame and then beat them in the FF and went on to win the title. I suffered over those 3 losses but they were all great, great games and the losses made the victory very sweet.
The media has made the tournament so big that what a team does in the rest of the season has become prologue to them.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It’s not a pre-season tourney, it’s being played at Thanksgiving

Reaction Score
Reading the tournament write up it seemed to stress where the teams finished last year. If that is true and there are brackets for the 2 games it would appear to me that with 8 teams it would take 3 games for a single winner. with only 2 games there would be 2 opposite side winners.. The seeding (based on last years finish would be in order: LSU(1), VT(4),UConn(9), UCLA(14) as the top 4 teams with winner of game 1 playing winner of game 4 and winner of game 2 then playing winner of game 3. To me the like first games then would be:
1 - LSU/Niagara
2 - VT/Tulane
3 - UConn/Virginia
4 - UCLA/Kansas
I ranked Kansas ahead of Virginia due to its NIT win. If this ranking holds UConn would (assuming winning the first game) play Virginia and VT. I would assume the consolation bracket would be in same order just using the losers of the first games in the same order so everyone plays 2 games.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing the top 4 teams (UConn, LSU, VT and UCLA) will each play one of the "lesser teams" and then have one game against a top tier foe. I doubt we'll play LSU, so either VT or UCLA. Just a guess... but I'm a good guesser! :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom