Huskies add seven. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Huskies add seven.

Reaction Score
So what is that....2 games a year?

This team desperately needs to develop a passing offense. MAC teams can do it in bad weather....so can UConn.
Passing attacks should have been developed a long time ago. It is the first thing that should be done in general. Why is this not given the attention and time?

Reaction Score
I agree it is not a bowl you over transfer recruiting class on the surface but it is what we would/should expect - A mix of P5 back up players who are dropping down for more playing time, etc., a few lateral G5 guys and a few FCS/JUCO guys trying to move up. I don't think us landing a Drew Pyne type player was ever really realistic. But 9 of the 17 are transferring from P5 schools. So not bowl you over but a pretty solid mix.

Now let's see how well these guys fit into the culture and team Mora and his staff have built. The proof will be on the field.

I will also add, it can't be dismissed how few players we lost in the portal. Really only Carter and maybe Turner/Marion were impact losses. The day following the Myrtle Beach Bowl, we had several conversations during breakfast at the hotel with Marshall fans and the consensus was that there was no way in heck we were going to keep Rosa from heading to the portal. They were all blown away by him and kept calling him the next Christian McCaffrey.
Rosa I think has done well with nil..

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I’m sure it was. Having only one healthy scholarship quarterback limits you to what that person can do.
I agree...they had an excuse last year. Injuries at QB were apparently worse than we originally thought. It still was disappointing that ZT didn't seem to improve throughout the year, but they were very conservative because they had no options if he got injured.

But this year Charlton really needs to show he can design a passing offense. I was a bit disappointed they weren't able to recruit a top QB transfer, but I am hopeful he can make the most of what he has... especially a healthy TR.

Reaction Score
I hope it’s continuous improvement but let’s be honest — as a group, those aren’t compelling resumes. I know they’re upperclassmen and physically different than recruiting freshmen, but are any of them nearly as likely to really be important players over time as bringing in young ‘uns and seeing what you can turn them into?

Mora has earned our, and my trust, but that doesn’t mean I have to pretend that every press release brings important good news, does it?
Coach Mora has stated over and over that recruiting has been tough but progress is being made. They are getting kids to listen and getting a few break throughs. But he also said once the power 5 swoops in, it makes it tough to win the battle. Until our situation changes, I can’t see why expectations should be so high. Incremental improvements will help but we need to be p5 to really compete.

Reaction Score
Eh, production is production. If the team is built to run, do it and do it well. I don’t recall Moreheads offense here being high flying. Yes I know, blame it on RE but really the team probably didn’t have the right personnel.
Edsall didn't want the offense to score too fast because he wanted to give the defense time to rest.

Reaction Score
I think everybody is appreciative of the injuries to the offense last year to the WRS, QBs RBs, Blocking TE...and six wins were unexpected, in my mind anyway. ZT wasn't expected to play. Think we will still be a run heavy offense having two nationally recognized OGs and good RBs. Having improved QB will make us that much better.

Reaction Score
Coach Mora has stated over and over that recruiting has been tough but progress is being made. They are getting kids to listen and getting a few break throughs. But he also said once the power 5 swoops in, it makes it tough to win the battle. Until our situation changes, I can’t see why expectations should be so high. Incremental improvements will help but we need to be p5 to really compete.
That is perhaps the first negative thing that I heard about Mora. I didn't like that he was giving himself that as an excuse for not getting kids, especially when there are more than 50 coaches that are non-P5 that are figuring it out better. I know rankings don't exactly show things with accuracy, but you could probably say that a school 50 places ahead of UConn in recruiting that is non-P5 is probably figuring it out better than Mora currently is.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
That is perhaps the first negative thing that I heard about Mora. I didn't like that he was giving himself that as an excuse for not getting kids
I think that was him publicly supporting a push for P5 move. As u see on the hoops board...lots of pressure from hoops supporters to stay in the BE....he is just helping Benedict by getting out there and talking about how a move would help the football program.

There is a reason he picked this time to talk about P5 and recruiting. And it isn't about making excuses.

Reaction Score
Edsall didn't want the offense to score too fast because he wanted to give the defense time to rest.
Sure, defensive coaches often want to control the time of possession. It never appeared UConn had the ability to out score good offensive teams. I remember the teams had great OLine and many great backs. A few good tight ends as well.

Reaction Score
1 win a year improvement would be pretty good. Would I like more, yes. I'd take 7-5, 8-4 and 9-3 though. With each year our quality of recruit will improve.

Reaction Score
I think that was him publicly supporting a push for P5 move. As u see on the hoops board...lots of pressure from hoops supporters to stay in the BE....he is just helping Benedict by getting out there and talking about how a move would help the football program.

There is a reason he picked this time to talk about P5 and recruiting. And it isn't about making excuses.
The basketball board is out of their collective minds. If the Big-12 adds UConn that leagues is already better than the current Big East which is basically Nova, Creighton and maybe St John's right now.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The basketball board is out of their collective minds. If the Big-12 adds UConn that leagues is already better than the current Big East which is basically Nova, Creighton and maybe St John's right now.
But, but, but, .. Providence......

But, but, but, .. Seton Hall.....

Reaction Score
Apparently, according to them, that's better than Houston, Iowa State, OK State, Cincinnati, BYU, WVU and Baylor lmao.
I value Big East basketball a lot and it's my favorite thing in sports. I like the rivalry with Providence and the other Big East schools. Ideally, I would love if UConn remained in the Big East and they got a big following as an independent football program in the same fashion as poor man's Notre Dame, but that would take such a long time to occur if it ever did-it's not realistic to expect that as that is a long shot.

Having said that, if UConn gets an invite to the B12 it would be beyond ignorant, and frankly malpractice, to not accept the invite and the infusion of money that would come along with it.

Reaction Score
I value Big East basketball a lot and it's my favorite thing in sports. I like the rivalry with Providence and the other Big East schools. Ideally, I would love if UConn remained in the Big East and they got a big following as an independent football program in the same fashion as poor man's Notre Dame, but that would take such a long time to occur if it ever did-it's not realistic to expect that as that is a long shot.

Having said that, if UConn gets an invite to the B12 it would be beyond ignorant, and frankly malpractice, to not accept the invite and the infusion of money that would come along with it.
This summarizes exactly my thinking on this. I’ve loved the reconnection with traditional rivals in the BE. I’ve enjoyed developing new ones with X, Marquette, and Creighton. I’ll miss what we have now terribly. However, the head has to overrule the heart here. We get an invite to the B12, we gotta go. It’s an existential no-brainer.

Reaction Score
This summarizes exactly my thinking on this. I’ve loved the reconnection with traditional rivals in the BE. I’ve enjoyed developing new ones with X, Marquette, and Creighton. I’ll miss what we have now terribly. However, the head has to overrule the heart here. We get an invite to the B12, we gotta go. It’s an existential no-brainer.
They aren't even the good rivals outside of Nova and Georgetown. All the good BE rivals in basketball are in the ACC and Big 12.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom