Hurley: 'Finding a General Manager is a top priority' | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Hurley: 'Finding a General Manager is a top priority'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kimani was arrested in what, 1998? And it had nothing to do with basketball. Murphy was busted 2 years ago as a bball team staff member.

Tbh, I don't really care who we hire as long as we win games. Jim Calhoun was a world-class a hole in a lot of ways. But what you're describing seems like a false equivalency to me.

Ex-ball player down on his luck selling drugs 2 decades ago vs well-paid assistant coach decides to be a bag man. It's just not the same.
I agree they're not the same, but it definitely seems relevant in the discussion when someone is being criticized as a poor role model for kids. I only bring up the Kimani situation because that's a very easy one to say poor role model, yet he's been able to use it as a positive and has been a great assistant coach

I don't care whether he's the choice or not, didn't know his name from the hundreds of other assistants until a few months ago. I'm just pushing back on the idea of he made a mistake so he's automatically a scumbag and irredeemable/a bad role model

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with anything you said necessarily, I also just don't consider it disqualifying. We have coaching staff members who have done far worse stuff in the eyes of the law, and have redeemed themselves perfectly fine and been great role models. And they get praised and loved by everyone on this board, so the criticism just rings a little hollow for me
Yeah like @husky429 said, I don’t consider it the same. In Kimanis case, we know he used his mistakes as the foundation to help kids in the grassroots community, which is about the best thing he coulda possibly done. He wasn’t handed a high value staff position at one of the most prestigious basketball schools the moment he became “eligible” from his mistake. He worked his off at the high school level, built connections, and proved he had high character and really changed.

Honestly, if Murphy takes a job somewhere, stays clean for years, admits he made a mistake, and continues developing as a coach, I wouldn’t mind hiring him down the road. But I think we should let someone else take on the reclamation project. I don’t consider what he did to be a minor blunder, these kids trust and lean on their coaches for advice. It’s messed up.

Reaction Score
Yeah like @husky429 said, I don’t consider it the same. In Kimanis case, we know he used his mistakes as the foundation to help kids in the grassroots community, which is about the best thing he coulda possibly done. He wasn’t handed a high value staff position at one of the most prestigious basketball schools the moment he became “eligible” from his mistake. He worked his off at the high school level, built connections, and proved he had high character and really changed.

Honestly, if Murphy takes a job somewhere, stays clean for years, admits he made a mistake, and continues developing as a coach, I wouldn’t mind hiring him down the road. But I think we should let someone else take on the reclamation project. I don’t consider what he did to be a minor blunder, these kids trust and lean on their coaches for advice. It’s messed up.
Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion no matter how off base I think you are. You're speaking in a lot of absolutes about a situation that I just think is not remotely as clear cut as you're making it out to be

Reaction Score
Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion no matter how off base I think you are. You're speaking in a lot of absolutes about a situation that I just think is not remotely as clear cut as you're making it out to be

Also, Preston has been working in basketball for the last three plus years, most recently in AAU with Expressions Elite.

Reaction Score
Sounds almost like a position that needs a major staff onto it self. Very varied areas of expertise needed. Player evaluation, financial, project management planning and execution.

Reaction Score
Everyone can take a deep breath now

Preston’s an immediate asset to them in his role as special assistant. I’m happy for him that he’s back in the college game, after doing a lot of great work with his camps and in AAU the past few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom