Hurley: 'Finding a General Manager is a top priority' | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hurley: 'Finding a General Manager is a top priority'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think that's right. That Hoop Dirt posting says 'Follow link below for complete job posting and application information'... with the link being to UConn Careers website. There's no where to apply via Hoop Dirt and the link to UConn Careers doesn't link to the GM job. In fact the GM job is no where to be found anywhere on the UConn Careers site. Maybe it's already been filled hence why taken down on UConn but archived on Hoop Dirt.

Reaction Score
I don't think that's right. That Hoop Dirt posting says 'Follow link below for complete job posting and application information'... with the link being to UConn Careers website. There's no where to apply via Hoop Dirt and the link to UConn Careers doesn't link to the GM job. In fact the GM job is no where to be found anywhere on the UConn Careers site. Maybe it's already been filled hence why taken down on UConn but archived on Hoop Dirt.

That’s the posting from last summer when the job was first proposed but didn’t end up happening.

Reaction Score
I Got It Ok GIF by StickerGiant
Maya Moore.

Reaction Score
I don't know any by name, but any successful agent with experience representing college players to get the best NBA contracts possible, would at least know the names of people with the business acumen necessary for the task at hand.

The agent would have experience to know who can pull the levers.
World wide Wes!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Boo Willingham is an agent, draft consultant, and I believe has some kind of wealth management consulting company (or job) as well. He is probably well qualified but he’s living it up in Miami so it would likely be hard to lure him here.
Post Covid. Work from home

Reaction Score
If Hurley wants him, then I trust his judgement. Besides, it seems like this guy may have just been a convenient scapegoat for the NCAA…

And it's not like Hurley doesn't know the guy, he was an assistant under Hurley for 3 years already at URI

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If Hurley wants him, then I trust his judgement. Besides, it seems like this guy may have just been a convenient scapegoat for the NCAA…

Hope so. But the fact he left the meeting with the money doesn’t make me feel good, even if he supposedly returned it. Feel like we can hire somebody with no baggage.

Reaction Score
I really hope this isn’t true, he’s a scum bag.

He really isn’t. He did a stupid thing working under McDermott, but he’s not a bad guy. Preston stayed on at URI when Dan was hired and was great for him there. The only reason they didn’t continue working together was because, back then, URI didn’t have enough money to keep good assistants (like Luke). They’ve gotten better and finally gave Miller money to work with.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
And it's not like Hurley doesn't know the guy, he was an assistant under Hurley for 3 years already at URI
I’m guessing he didn’t do anything shady under Hurley, and Dan might have a soft spot for his friend. But that doesn’t make what he did at Creighton any better. If we do bring him on board, I’ll assume he learned from the experience, but I’m not sure how any player could trust him with financial stuff tbh.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He really isn’t. He did a stupid thing working under McDermott, but he’s not a bad guy. Preston stayed on at URI when Dan was hired and was great for him there. The only reason they didn’t continue working together was because, back then, URI didn’t have enough money to keep good assistants (like Luke). They’ve gotten better and finally gave Miller money to work with.
I think calling it “stupid” is light. As an assistant coach he’s expected to be a role model and someone his players can trust with personal and professional matters. He betrayed that responsibility by accepting that money which had no benefit to the players. It’s a scummy thing to do. I truly hope it was the first and only time he ever made a decision like that, and I really hope he had that change of heart that led him to return the money. But you also have to ask yourself why he was targeted by the FBI in the first place, how likely is it this is his first time doing something like this?

Reaction Score
I think calling it “stupid” is light. As an assistant coach he’s expected to be a role model and someone his players can trust with personal and professional matters. He betrayed that responsibility by accepting that money which had no benefit to the players. It’s a scummy thing to do. I truly hope it was the first and only time he ever made a decision like that, and I really hope he had that change of heart that led him to return the money. But you also have to ask yourself why he was targeted by the FBI in the first place, how likely is it this is his first time doing something like this?

I have no interest in arguing with you or convincing you of anything. People make mistakes. It’s not going to be relevant anyway.

Also, those investigations were a joke and seemed to be quite “selective” in who they wanted to target and where (and with whom) they chose to end their “investigating.”

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I have no interest in arguing with you or convincing you of anything. People make mistakes.

Also, those investigations were a joke and seemed to be quite “selective” in who they wanted to target and where (and with whom) they chose to end their “investigating.”
Considering there’s no convincing argument, I’m not surprised. The best you can do is try to minimize it by calling it “stupid” or “just a mistake.”

And if by “selective” you mean they selected a guy who left a hotel room with $6000 dollars and an agreement to steer his players towards his friends agency, then yeah, they were “selective.”

Reaction Score

Regardless of whether he is/isn't a scumbag, or whether he was just in the wrong place... there are a whole lotta qualified people who don't come with this kind of PR baggage. Feels much more like a "help my old buddy" decision, rather than a "good for the programs" decision.

I'm thinking if you put mentally yourself in the shoes of your average fan, you can understand the concern if this hire went through.

Reaction Score
Regardless of whether he is/isn't a scumbag, or whether he was just in the wrong place... there are a whole lotta qualified people who don't come with this kind of PR baggage. Feels much more like a "help my old buddy" decision, rather than a "good for the program" decision.

Considering your connections to the program, I suspect an objective evaluation of this hire is probably not in your wheelhouse... and that's okay. I'm thinking if you put mentally yourself in the shoes of your average fan, you can understand the concern if this hire went through.

Why so condescending? I am not caping for the program or any decision they might make. Preston had multiple job offers waiting for him when he was eligible. They weren’t all “helping an old buddy.” Fair or not, people who are skilled and good at their job get some breaks sometimes. People looking to employ them balance anything negative plus their skill set and get to decide if it’s worth it and an overall plus to their program over other options. As of now, he’s headed to Alabama anyway.

Reaction Score
Why so condescending? I am not caping for the program or any decision they might make. Preston had multiple job offers waiting for him when he was eligible. They weren’t all “helping an old buddy.” Fair or not, people who are skilled and good at their job get some breaks sometimes. People looking to employ them balance anything negative plus their skill set and get to decide if it’s worth it and an overall plus to their program over other options. As of now, he’s headed to Alabama anyway.

Feel free to point out where I was condescending. I think what I said was pretty fair.

A fan of whatever program hires him is reasonably going to ask "why are we hiring a guy who took a bag of cash to pay for a recruit?"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m guessing he didn’t do anything shady under Hurley, and Dan might have a soft spot for his friend. But that doesn’t make what he did at Creighton any better. If we do bring him on board, I’ll assume he learned from the experience, but I’m not sure how any player could trust him with financial stuff tbh.
I don't disagree with anything you said necessarily, I also just don't consider it disqualifying. We have coaching staff members who have done far worse stuff in the eyes of the law, and have redeemed themselves perfectly fine and been great role models. And they get praised and loved by everyone on this board, so the criticism just rings a little hollow for me

Reaction Score
Considering there’s no convincing argument, I’m not surprised. The best you can do is try to minimize it by calling it “stupid” or “just a mistake.”

And if by “selective” you mean they selected a guy who left a hotel room with $6000 dollars and an agreement to steer his players towards his friends agency, then yeah, they were “selective.”
Calling a guy a scumbag based off the one thing you know about him and knowing nothing else is also kind of selective no?

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with anything you said necessarily, I also just don't consider it disqualifying. We have coaching staff members who have done far worse stuff in the eyes of the law, and have redeemed themselves perfectly fine and been great role models. And they get praised and loved by everyone on this board, so the criticism just rings a little hollow for me

Kimani was arrested in what, 1998? And it had nothing to do with basketball. Murphy was busted 2 years ago as a bball team staff member.

Tbh, I don't really care who we hire as long as we win games. Jim Calhoun was a world-class a hole in a lot of ways. But what you're describing seems like a false equivalency to me.

Ex-ball player down on his luck selling drugs 2 decades ago vs well-paid assistant coach decides to be a bag man. It's just not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom