Hurley at Middlesex County Chambers breakfast quotes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley at Middlesex County Chambers breakfast quotes

Reaction Score
I thought he only scored the lob and 1 other basket for 4 pts. Did he have more?

No that's right. He really just didn't touch the ball much. He and Singare were basically just screening and rolling on repeat.

I would imagine when we start running our real sets on Monday, we'll see more post-up opportunities for those guys. Games without much structure never feature bigs very well.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
All aboard the Ross train

IMG_0218.jpeg

Reaction Score
Yup!

Interesting that he mentions "the seven" with Clingan.

First 7 of Clinga, Karaban, Castle, Newton, Spencer, + Johnson, + Solo... That is going to be a RIDICULOUS amount of athleticism coming in at the 16:00 timeout.

Karaban: Love that he is saying he needs to take the leap from 9-10ppg to 14ppg. Totally agree. He has all the potential to be an all-conference player, and needs to make it happen.

Ross: It may be coach speak, but saying he has early first-round potential is surprising. I've been telling you folks not to sleep!

Castle: Love how hard he is on the kid. Points out every little thing he does wrong while admitting he's the best freshman he's coached.

Johnson: I don't love hearing "an opportunity to play" this year... I would have hoped he had separated himself a bit more. He should be lightyears ahead of the Greek kid right now, TBH.

Reaction Score
Johnson: I don't love hearing "an opportunity to play" this year... I would have hoped he had separated himself a bit more. He should be lightyears ahead of the Greek kid right now, TBH.
The next sentence says he has been our best and most productive player?

Reaction Score
I didn't read it like that. I read it as an implied "(as opposed to the last 2 years) he's going to get an opportunity to play". The other quotes were all 1-2 punch with Donovan, 1st or 2nd off the bench with Solo, best and most consistent player in the scrimmages, etc.

Also possible he's a better game player than practicer. So he'll separate more when he gets in the real games.

Reaction Score
Also possible he's a better game player than practicer. So he'll separate more when he gets in the real games.

I expect so. He is so athletic when the game get 5% faster in real games, he should be able to keep up. Might be harder for Apostolos.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

First 7 of Clinga, Karaban, Castle, Newton, Spencer, + Johnson, + Solo... That is going to be a RIDICULOUS amount of athleticism coming in at the 16:00 timeout.

Karaban: Love that he is saying he needs to take the leap from 9-10ppg to 14ppg. Totally agree. He has all the potential to be an all-conference player, and needs to make it happen.

Ross: It may be coach speak, but saying he has early first-round potential is surprising. I've been telling you folks not to sleep!

Castle: Love how hard he is on the kid. Points out every little thing he does wrong while admitting he's the best freshman he's coached.

He's got Johnson explicitly backing up the 5. Called it a one two punch ala Sanogo and Clingan. That is high praise.

Reaction Score

WRT Samson, the next statements directly after the one that concerned you: "he’s been maybe our most consistent player in the two closed scrimmages I think he’s probably been our most productive player and our best player."

That's pretty high praise from Hurley?

Orc

Reaction Score
I told y'all the kid was special at LuHi! Defense and shooting are the two most important skills in the game, and he's 100% bought-in on them.
Ross has a ton of potential. He’s game kind of reminds me of Jaime jaquez from UCLA.

Reaction Score
WRT Samson, the next statements directly after the one that concerned you: "he’s been maybe our most consistent player in the two closed scrimmages I think he’s probably been our most productive player and our best player."

Yeah I misread it. I'm looking forward to seeing what SJ has developed.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Indeed. He is a Junior despite the limited opportunities so far. Johnson, Newton and Spencer are our only upperclassman. I'd expect him to be less variable than the kids. Karaban is essentially a Junior as well, he's way older than a normal sophomore and had 1/2 a redshirt year.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Yup!

Always love this article every year. Things that stood out to me.

Didn’t mention any areas of improvement for Donovan. Was hoping to hear he looked better at the line or in the post, but guess we’ll see. Wondering how much progress he made this off season.

So much enthusiasm for Samson. He’s either THE breakout guy this year, or Hurley feels the need to pump him up for some reason. Either way I’m excited.

The Jayden Ross hype train keeps going, sounds like he’s on a Hawkins l type trajectory.

Solo as the likely 6th man. Kid is a stud.

Stewart’s compliments never seem straightforward. There’s always a caveat like “but his head is going to explode.” Implying that he’s struggling to pick up on stuff. Could be because he started late, but it feels like a real problem for him.

Finally I think the writing is on the wall for “The Greek kid.” Good locker room guy, has some talent, but he’s not in the rotation right now.

Reaction Score
He's got Johnson explicitly backing up the 5. Called it a one two punch ala Sanogo and Clingan. That is high praise.
Clingan will play fewer minutes than Adama given his recovery from the foot injury, and carrying the 7'3" body up and down the court. also hopefully out of lack lack of necessityin the especially in early games. This will give a healthy Johnson significant minutes. I hope we see what Hurley describes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom