Hurley at Middlesex County Chambers breakfast quotes | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley at Middlesex County Chambers breakfast quotes

Reaction Score
I always wear blue or white. The fact that someone finally said you should do it is great. If you want the fans to do something tell them.

I was a big Whaler fan but I don't wear my Whaler jersey to UConn games. Nebraska fans figured out they should wear red back in the 1960s, glad we're catching up.
Loved the Whalers

Reaction Score
Stewart’s compliments never seem straightforward. There’s always a caveat like “but his head is going to explode.” Implying that he’s struggling to pick up on stuff. Could be because he started late, but it feels like a real problem for him.
I think your read is right. Hurley is attempting to thread the needle. In general, Hurley's comments are similar (in tone and meaning) to ones he made about Samson in the past. He wants the kid to stay engaged and on program (and in program for next season), despite likely projecting to get less minutes than a top 75 kid coming cross country would normally hope for. He has to communicate his ultimate belief in him, but also not give any ammo to the people in his circle that will undoubtedly be mad at the lack of playing time come the meat of the season. "Coach said you're awesome, but now in Big East play he's not even playing you. Can't trust him." You have to be honest while also not ripping the kid or destroying his confidence in public. And it seems like he does have another week here to earn that backup 4 spot.

Reaction Score
Clingan will play fewer minutes than Adama given his recovery from the foot injury, and carrying the 7'3" body up and down the court. also hopefully out of lack lack of necessityin the especially in early games. This will give a healthy Johnson significant minutes. I hope we see what Hurley describes.
Adama averaged 26.6 minutes per game last season. I expect Clingan to be right around that.

Reaction Score
This doesn't make it feel any better
share discover GIF

Reaction Score
Interesting that he mentions "the seven" with Clingan.

First 7 of Clinga, Karaban, Castle, Newton, Spencer, + Johnson, + Solo... That is going to be a RIDICULOUS amount of athleticism coming in at the 16:00 timeout.

Karaban: Love that he is saying he needs to take the leap from 9-10ppg to 14ppg. Totally agree. He has all the potential to be an all-conference player, and needs to make it happen.

Ross: It may be coach speak, but saying he has early first-round potential is surprising. I've been telling you folks not to sleep!

Castle: Love how hard he is on the kid. Points out every little thing he does wrong while admitting he's the best freshman he's coached.

Johnson: I don't love hearing "an opportunity to play" this year... I would have hoped he had separated himself a bit more. He should be lightyears ahead of the Greek kid right now, TBH.
He also has Newton at 15 ppg.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think your read is right. Hurley is attempting to thread the needle. In general, Hurley's comments are similar (in tone and meaning) to ones he made about Samson in the past. He wants the kid to stay engaged and on program (and in program for next season), despite likely projecting to get less minutes than a top 75 kid coming cross country would normally hope for. He has to communicate his ultimate belief in him, but also not give any ammo to the people in his circle that will undoubtedly be mad at the lack of playing time come the meat of the season. "Coach said you're awesome, but now in Big East play he's not even playing you. Can't trust him." You have to be honest while also not ripping the kid or destroying his confidence in public. And it seems like he does have another week here to earn that backup 4 spot.
Especially if he told the kid during recruitment he “expects” him to get minutes as a freshman. This is why coaches hate the portal.

Reaction Score
Interesting that he mentions "the seven" with Clingan.

First 7 of Clinga, Karaban, Castle, Newton, Spencer, + Johnson, + Solo... That is going to be a RIDICULOUS amount of athleticism coming in at the 16:00 timeout.

Karaban: Love that he is saying he needs to take the leap from 9-10ppg to 14ppg. Totally agree. He has all the potential to be an all-conference player, and needs to make it happen.

Ross: It may be coach speak, but saying he has early first-round potential is surprising. I've been telling you folks not to sleep!

Castle: Love how hard he is on the kid. Points out every little thing he does wrong while admitting he's the best freshman he's coached.

Johnson: I don't love hearing "an opportunity to play" this year... I would have hoped he had separated himself a bit more. He should be lightyears ahead of the Greek kid right now, TBH.
First 7 does not include Hassan?

Reaction Score
He does seem pissed lately. I don’t think it’s just because of the recruits though..it feels like he thinks uconn isn’t being respected as the top dog
Sounds a lot like another great UCONN coach. Very similar to JC. Chip on the shoulder = chips in the trophy case.

Reaction Score
First 7 does not include Hassan?

Not according to Hurley. He named Solo as 6th man and Johnson first big off the bench.

I would imagine Hass, Ross, Stewart will be fighting for the 8th and 9th rotation spots.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Not according to Hurley. He named Solo as 6th man and Johnson first big off the bench.

I would imagine Hass, Ross, Stewart will be fighting for the 8th and 9th rotation spots.
And only one of the 3 is getting early entry, first round hype from Dan. Still think it’s mostly down to the last spot, with Diarra in the lead.

Reaction Score
Hurley was asked about his preference for where home games are played, Gampel Pavilion or the XL Center in Hartford.

Hurley mentioned that improvements are needed at the XL Center and scheduling conflicts make it tough for them to practice there. But he added they love playing in Hartford when there’s a full house.

There’s a noticeable difference between the two home-court atmospheres.

“It’s a competitive advantage to play in Gampel,” Hurley said. “There’s life in the building. We don’t have to play well for the crowd to be in. Sometimes in the XL, we have to play well to get the crowd in it. Sometimes, too, there’s too many people wearing a flannel shirt or a gray sweater. We wear blue. Wear blue or white. Wear our colors.”

Alternate access:

Hurley: ‘We don’t win a lot of popularity contests at UConn, we just win championships’

Reaction Score
I hope DC recovers 100% and stays injury free this year.

He is the one who has some swagger and backs it up. Let’s hope he’s the El Amin this season and instead of shocking the world he/we dominate the world.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This event has always been good for a few nuggets over the years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We’ve win 5 National Championships without Cooper Flagg. We’ll win 5 more without him too. I laughed at that tweet because it shows how close Scheyer was to completely fumbling this entire recruitment.
Pssh only 10 national championships all together? Set your sights higher.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duke79

Top Bottom