Hurley and Transfer Portal | The Boneyard

Hurley and Transfer Portal

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think it's time we properly criticize Hurley for something he can control.

This wasn't a flawless team going into the season. We had two extra scholarships that coulda been filled with veteran talent to push our current top 8. We knew this team lacked shooting, reliable offensive creators, and still we gave DH the benefit of doubt. He needs to take advantage of every opportunity to improve the team moving forward.

I'll never blame coaches for players not executing, that's the players half of the deal. But I will blame the coach if he doesn't bring in players capable of executing, that's their half of the deal.

Reaction Score
I had this same thought but if you go back and look at the transfer list there honestly wasn't a ton to get excited about. Most impactful guys worth getting knew where they were going very quickly

Reaction Score
I said it in the offseason. They had to go get a shooter. You couldn't go into the season relying on Polley and Hawkins being your 3 point shooters.

Reaction Score
I’m confused. Who were we supposed to get, and could have gotten, that would have projected as better than Hawkins?
Are you serious? There was legit 1000+ players in the transfer pool. I'm sure there was a shooter or two we could have added that are better than what we go. Hurley had no interest in the portal. He's loyal to his guys. But at some point you have to realize what you have.

Reaction Score
Are you serious? There was legit 1000+ players in the transfer pool. I'm sure there was a shooter or two we could have added that are better than what we go. Hurley had no interest in the portal. He's loyal to his guys. But at some point you have to realize what you have.
Saying there’s 1000+ players is a terrible argument… Hurley said most were not a good fit culturally. That matters. And as stated before, even if you can shoot, if you can’t play Hurley D, you’re ass is on the bench.

We’ve yet to lose at full strength. This was the first big East game. Rotations will change. The sky might not fall.

Doesn’t mean there aren’t issues to fix, but for some reason, just because this team started off strong against cupcakes, we act after each loss that they should be a top 10 team. The problems we are having, most people on the board predicted we would have before the season even started.

I don’t understand the disconnect?

Reaction Score
Bad take - No matter what you think of them, if we had got the DPOY and 6th Man of Year from another top conference, Hurley would have struck gold.

Don't forget, Cole and Martin as transfers are pretty good gets also.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Saying there’s 1000+ players is a terrible argument… Hurley said most were not a good fit culturally. That matters. And as stated before, even if you can shoot, if you can’t play Hurley D, you’re ass is on the bench.

We’ve yet to lose at full strength. This was the first big East game. Rotations will change. The sky might not fall.

Doesn’t mean there aren’t issues to fix, but for some reason, just because this team started off strong against cupcakes, we act after each loss that they should be a top 10 team. The problems we are having, most people on the board predicted we would have before the season even started.

I don’t understand the disconnect?
You obviously haven’t read the sky is falling memo.

Simply put, Hurley was responsible for digging the hole tonight but had nothing to do with the comeback which one made basket would have completed. I forgot. He made Whaley travel, obviously bad coaching. And by the way, PC is not a terrible team. Villanova got run out of the gym last night. Jay Wright sucks. Team unprepared. Didn’t use the transfer portal enough. :rolleyes:

I think people forget that Calhoun had some decent teams that had some terrible nights.

Reaction Score
We were never going more than 13 deep this year. If someone is suggesting a transfer coming in I want them to also specify which player on the current roster they wanted forced out for that transfer, and where the minutes were coming from

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I think this is a valid criticism. Yes we had a great incoming class + 2 super seniors, BUT minutes were there for a scoring guard / wing. As @Hoophound said, we probably just struck out.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
We were never going more than 13 deep this year. If someone is suggesting a transfer coming in I want them to also specify which player on the current roster they wanted forced out for that transfer
We have 2 open scholarships, right? No one would need to to be forced out. Maybe Springs MPG goes down from 2 to 1, but oh well?

Reaction Score
We have 2 open scholarships, right? No one would need to to be forced out. Maybe Springs MPG goes down from 2 to 1, but oh well?
Yes we could theoretically go up to 15 scholarships, but Hurley made it very clear from the get-go he had no interest in going above 13 actual scholarships. That's why I'm asking who people wanted forced out

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Yes we could theoretically go up to 15 scholarships, but Hurley made it very clear from the get-go he had no interest in going above 13 actual scholarships. That's why I'm asking who people wanted forced out
We don't have to force anyone out. With a 13 man roster we have 2 scholarship guys who literally won't see floor time (including 1 redshirt). So filling a couple of holes to get to 15 players shouldn't have stopped the coaches from filling it if they could have.

Not saying they could have. But the minutes ARE there.

Reaction Score
We don't have to force anyone out. With a 13 man roster we have 2 scholarship guys who literally won't see floor time (including 1 redshirt). So filling a couple of holes to get to 15 players shouldn't have stopped the coaches from filling it if they could have.

Not saying they could have. But the minutes ARE there.
You're missing my point, Dan Hurley said that UConn was recruiting for 2021-22 season to fill 13 scholarships. Any analysis that involves filling a roster of 15 players is pointless because it was never going to happen and Dan Hurley said as much. I don't disagree that we could have had a better 13 man roster this year if we used the transfer portal.

I wouldn't even want to go to a 15 man roster, that's how you end up with the real scenario of players transferring out like so many posters think is happening now

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
You're missing my point, Dan Hurley said that UConn was recruiting for 2021-22 season to fill 13 scholarships. Any analysis that involves filling a roster of 15 players is pointless because it was never going to happen and Dan Hurley said as much. I don't disagree that we could have had a better 13 man roster this year if we used the transfer portal.

I wouldn't even want to go to a 15 man roster, that's how you end up with the real scenario of players transferring out like so many posters think is happening now
Touche.

Well then if DH thought that the 13 we got were his best option, that's a whole other conversation.

He needs to adjust and get the other 5 guys on that 13 some playing time, because the 8 we are rolling with isn't working offensively.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom