Hunt for the CFP 2017 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Hunt for the CFP 2017

Reaction Score
Serious question: why is Alabama better? Because they have one fewer loss? Because they didn't lose to a meh team (though metrics suggest Iowa is better than people think).

I mean it sincerely. I look at Alabama's resume and am underwhelmed. They played 1 top 10 team and lost.

Ohio State played 3 and went 2-1.

You’re looking at 2 different things. Who has the better resume vs. who is the better team. Bama is the better team. On a neutral site they are easily a TD favorite.

Reaction Score
Ohio state got in last year with no conference championship, had committee selected Ohio state over Bama they would have been accused of being inconsistent with previous years. Though both decisions these past two years were probably wrong anyway

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Alabama beat exactly 3 teams with 8 or more wins (LSU, MS State, Fresno St) and only one of those will be ranked in the final Top 25 poll (LSU).
OSU beat 5, (Wisc, PSU, MSU, Mich, and Army) and three of those are ranked in the Top 25, two are in the Top 10.

None of the other games matter. Alabama beating Tennessee is the same as beating Maryland. If you want to ding them for losing to Iowa, fine it still doesn't put Alabama's resume over OSU's. If I'm Jim Delaney I let everyone know that the CFP is dead as soon as the contract is up.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Ohio state got in last year with no conference championship, had committee selected Ohio state over Bama they would have been accused of being inconsistent with previous years. Though both decisions these past two years were probably wrong anyway

OSU beat another playoff team in Oklahoma last year. You could have argued that PSU deserved it by head to head and conference championship but OSU had a good resume.

Reaction Score
OSU beat another playoff team in Oklahoma last year. You could have argued that PSU deserved it by head to head and conference championship but OSU had a good resume.
OSU shouldn't have been in last year, but had a better resume than this year's Alabama.

College football doesn't have enough games for me to believe that we can distinguish between two teams as close as Alabama and Ohio State.

Reaction Score
Alabama beat exactly 3 teams with 8 or more wins (LSU, MS State, Fresno St) and only one of those will be ranked in the final Top 25 poll (LSU).
OSU beat 5, (Wisc, PSU, MSU, Mich, and Army) and three of those are ranked in the Top 25, two are in the Top 10.

None of the other games matter. Alabama beating Tennessee is the same as beating Maryland. If you want to ding them for losing to Iowa, fine it still doesn't put Alabama's resume over OSU's. If I'm Jim Delaney I let everyone know that the CFP is dead as soon as the contract is up.
Or you expand to 8 teams. P5 plus best G6 plus next two highest ranked. Winning a conference needs to matter way more like in BB and if you want the NCAA to have any shred of relevance you need to have a path for non P5 schools like UCF this year and Boise and BYU in the past.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
How did they rank Wiscy above USC??
I would argue Wisconsin should have been Ohio State due to one fewer losses even if they lost to them. Ohio State should have been behind USC as well.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Or you expand to 8 teams. P5 plus best G6 plus next two highest ranked. Winning a conference needs to matter way more like in BB and if you want the NCAA to have any shred of relevance you need to have a path for non P5 schools like UCF this year and Boise and BYU in the past.
No, it should be the eight most deserving regardless of conference. If a G5 school goes undefeated and plays a challenging schedule, they would probably be in.

Reaction Score

Who is the better team OSU or Bama? That’s all that should matter.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
More deserving is what the criteria should be. Alabama was BOTH more deserving and a better team as Ohio State had two losses. The regular season should matter. Losses should matter. The committee followed my criteria to a tee. They got it right.

Reaction Score
More deserving is what the criteria should be. Alabama was BOTH more deserving and a better team as Ohio State had two losses. The regular season should matter. Losses should matter. The committee followed my criteria to a tee. They got it right.

I agree they got it right. I was convinced they were gonna put OSU in though.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I agree they got it right. I was convinced they were gonna put OSU in though.
I thought that too, and I even had a small thought they might squeak USC in there to surprise everyone.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Do we really care about the rankings outside of the 4 playoff teams? Even after the playoffs the major bowls are pretty locked into who they can contractually take.
Not really, but it is interesting to note how the committee ranks the next few teams.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
OSU shouldn't have been in last year, but had a better resume than this year's Alabama.

College football doesn't have enough games for me to believe that we can distinguish between two teams as close as Alabama and Ohio State.

Precisely, there are not enough common data points to determine who is better. What we do know is that Bama is not better than Auburn or Georgia. We know that OSU is the best team in the Big 10. If the goal is the best teams then the only way to know is how many good teams did you beat and adjust for any losses. No one seems to care that Clemson lost to Syracuse, by far the worst loss of any playoff team. In a year with multiple zero-one loss teams, it would keep them out. This year, there other quality wins combined with the issues with other teams resumes makes it a non-factor.

The only way to know is for them to play. If we have to guess then how many good team did each beat. Bama beat one Top 25 team. UCF beat 3, OSU beat 2 Top 10 teams and one other Top 25 team. It shouldn't matter if people think Bama is better they haven't accomplished as much as other teams. If that is the case then just go back to the poll system and hand Clemson the trophy.

Do we really care about the rankings outside of the 4 playoff teams? Even after the playoffs the major bowls are pretty locked into who they can contractually take.

It does. The Orange Bowl gets to pick the highest ranked non-champion from BIG/SEC/ND. That means OSU gets Miami in the OB. Wisc gets stuck vs USC in the Fiesta. Likely putting Auburn in the Peach vs UCF. That could change if they put Auburn in the Orange to meet rotation requirements. Penn State is likely going to the Cotton Bowl. It will be interesting who they pick to play them. The top contenders are TCU and Washington finishing in the Top 12, or does the Committee slide ND up one and bump one of those teams.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Precisely, there are not enough common data points to determine who is better. What we do know is that Bama is not better than Auburn or Georgia. We know that OSU is the best team in the Big 10. If the goal is the best teams then the only way to know is how many good teams did you beat and adjust for any losses. No one seems to care that Clemson lost to Syracuse, by far the worst loss of any playoff team. In a year with multiple zero-one loss teams, it would keep them out. This year, there other quality wins combined with the issues with other teams resumes makes it a non-factor.
The transitive property doesn't work in sports. We don't know if Alabama would beat Georgia but I believe both will win their semifinals so we may find out.

The only way to know is for them to play. If we have to guess then how many good team did each beat. Bama beat one Top 25 team. UCF beat 3, OSU beat 2 Top 10 teams and one other Top 25 team. It shouldn't matter if people think Bama is better they haven't accomplished as much as other teams. If that is the case then just go back to the poll system and hand Clemson the trophy.

Reaction Score
I disagree. Winning your division should matter. Ohio State did and earned the chance to beat a 4th ranked unbeaten team while Bama sat home. SEC bias doomed the Big Ten.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I disagree. Winning your division should matter. Ohio State did and earned the chance to beat a 4th ranked unbeaten team while Bama sat home. SEC bias doomed the Big Ten.
Two losses doomed Ohio State.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

There is nothing transitive about it. Is Alabama the SEC Champion? No they aren't. Are they the best team in the SEC East? No, they aren't. Ask those same questions about OSU. Now compare wins. Is beating LSU and Miss St and losing to Auburn better than beating Wisc, PSU, MSU, Mich but losing to OU and Iowa? No it isn't. If you pick Alabama, you are picking by brand, past years performances, and an unsubstantiated SEC lovefest. None of those are actual criteria allowed by the Committee.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score

If Auburn had won the SEC championship game they would have been ranked higher than Alabama and would have been in. It isn’t just the number of losses but the quality of the losses and the wins.

Reaction Score
They played Oklahoma non conference. I realize Bama played Florida State but they ended up sucking.

I just think winning yiur division should matter. Bama essentially got the benefit of an extra week of rest to not risk injury by losing their division.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

That is the excuse being given but, one of those losses is to the #2 team in the CFB. Anyone else play a game that tough? No, they didn't. OSU is worse that OU, duh. This is about the 4th spot. To decide it based on a loss to Iowa, means you have to hit OU for losing to ISU and Clemson for losing to Syracuse.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom