4 teams remain.

My ranking of the four:
1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Alabama

Reaction Score
Alabama; they only have one loss.

This is going to be real interesting to see how the committee decides this. It's hard for me to look past the way Ohio State lost to Iowa. I also think that winning your confefence means something, and I think beating Wisconsin is a better win than any win Alabama has. I honestly have no idea which way they will go.

Reaction Score
This is going to be real interesting to see how the committee decides this. It's hard for me to look past the way Ohio State lost to Iowa. I also think that winning your confefence means something, and I think beating Wisconsin is a better win than any win Alabama has. I honestly have no idea which way they will go.

Given that, I’m still adamant that berths into a four team tourney like this should value league championships first and foremost. Eye tests by definition are too subjective. The computer rankings used during the BCS unsuccessfully tried to make a subjective process objective. The best way to do it is to earn your berth into the tournament on the field. Win your way in on the field.

Ohio State in. Alabama out.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think the Ohio state loss to Iowa will be decisive, but Alabama does not have a lot of quality wins.

Reaction Score
I think the Ohio state loss to Iowa will be decisive, but Alabama does not have a lot of quality wins.

I agree the committee will absolutely consider this, but I personally wouldn't care. In my mind a 8-5 conference champ (7-0 in league, 1-0 in the championship game, 0-5 out of conference) gets in before a 12-1 team (presumably #1 before championship weekend) who loses its conference championship game.

Reaction Score
My perfect scenario is a 16 team tourney, essentially like the NCAA tournament. All FBS teams get their champion in. Then the subjective selection process fills out the field and determines the seeding. You win your league, you have an opportunity to win it all.

However, I realize a 16 team playoff is logistically difficult. My compromise is the 8 team scenario many are pushing for. The five P5 champs get in, the subjectively "best" champion from the G5, and then 2 at-large. Seeding determined subjectively.

Reaction Score
I just heard Kirk Herbstreit say the "best" four teams should be in the playoff, not the "most deserving." That is the fundamental argument. By his logic he says it should be Alabama, not OSU. As noted above, I strongly disagree.

By that logic, the 68 "best" teams should make the basketball tournament, with it being OK to leave out conference champs. I would hate that.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think if FSU ended up being decent this year Alabama would be guaranteed that 4th spot. It would have been their big win. However, they weren’t good at all and Alabama hasn’t beaten anyone of importance.

Ohio State has better wins and should get in.

That being said, I think SEC bias prevails and Alabama gets in. The talking heads will go back and forth over the injustice of this and talk about SOS and quality wins for the next 3 weeks. They’ll say we need a better system or an 8 team playoff. Then the games will be played, all will be forgotten, and we’ll back in this same spot next season and nothing will change.

Reaction Score
I just heard Kirk Herbstreit say the "best" four teams should be in the playoff, not the "most deserving." That is the fundamental argument. By his logic he says it should be Alabama, not OSU. As noted above, I strongly disagree.

By that logic, the 68 "best" teams should make the basketball tournament, with it being OK to leave out conference champs. I would hate that.
Who has Alabama beaten?

17 LSU
23 MSU

They only played one other game against a team currently in the Top 25.

Ohio State beat:

4 Wisconsin
9 Penn State
16 Michigan State

That's three wins better than Alabama's best.

They have two losses, sure, but one of those is to B12 champ and presumably 2 Oklahoma, and the other is to a good (not great) Iowa.

It should be Ohio State. It probably will be Alabama.

Reaction Score
I think Ohio State gets in. The committee puts a strong emphasis on conference champions, but if Bama gets in, it wouldn't surprise me.

Reaction Score
I think Ohio State gets in. The committee puts a strong emphasis on conference champions, but if Bama gets in, it wouldn't surprise me.
Didn't Ohio state get in last year and not win their conference championship?

Reaction Score

Yes, and there was such an outcry that I think it actually works in their favor this time.

Reaction Score
Yes, and there was such an outcry that I think it actually works in their favor this time.
And OSU beat Oklahoma in non-conference last year. Who the hell has Alabama beaten?

Couple that with the fact that OSU's sole loss came to a conference champion (Penn State) in a close match, and I think OSU's case last year was much better than Alabama's this year.

Reaction Score
IF it’s the best 4 then Bama gets in.

If they want to emphasize conf championships and ignore 30 point blowouts to unranked teams then OSU gets in.

Since I have no faith in this process it’ll probably be OSU.

Reaction Score
IF it’s the best 4 then Bama gets in.

If they want to emphasize conf championships and ignore 30 point blowouts to unranked teams then OSU gets in.

Since I have no faith in this process it’ll probably be OSU.
Serious question: why is Alabama better? Because they have one fewer loss? Because they didn't lose to a meh team (though metrics suggest Iowa is better than people think).

I mean it sincerely. I look at Alabama's resume and am underwhelmed. They played 1 top 10 team and lost.

Ohio State played 3 and went 2-1.

Reaction Score
Either Bama or Ohio State get left out. Hopefully this helps grease the skids for an 8 team playoff.

Uconn fans don't want an 8 team playoff, it would encourage Notre Dame to stay independent. Keep it the way it is and after they join a conference and take us with them, then they can expand the playoffs.

Reaction Score
Serious question: why is Alabama better? Because they have one fewer loss? Because they didn't lose to a meh team (though metrics suggest Iowa is better than people think).

I mean it sincerely. I look at Alabama's resume and am underwhelmed. They played 1 top 10 team and lost.

Ohio State played 3 and went 2-1.

I fully agree with this. Plus, when you have 5 major conferences and only 4 spots for a national champ to emerge, you really don't want to see one conference garb two of those slots, which is why colleges are encouraged to beef up out of conference schedules.

Since Notre Dame is not in a conference, the only way the can get a seat at the final four, is to schedule tough away games.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Uconn fans don't want an 8 team playoff, it would encourage Notre Dame to stay independent. Keep it the way it is and after they join a conference and take us with them, then they can expand the playoffs.
Yes, we would. If we had a miracle 13-0 season, we would have a chance at the CFP potentially.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom