Humongous win for the program | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Humongous win for the program

Reaction Score
I had my kids with me. The noise on the final Fresno possession by the handful of fans that showed up and stuck around was the closest I've felt to the days where the stadium was packed and the games were competitive.. I was so excited if anything, just for them to be there and get to feel that same passion.

Reaction Score
I hope so!
if not, money worth spent.
I had my kids with me. The noise on the final Fresno possession by the handful of fans that showed up and stuck around was the closest I've felt to the days where the stadium was packed and the games were competitive.. I was so excited if anything, just for them to be there and get to feel that same passion.
Good for you. It's great that you shared that with your children. Trust me, they'll remember that.
it's nice to wine

Reaction Score
I'm on the home side but will probably end up getting chased across or end up there anyway.
Hi Jim, Why on the home side? Unless you live in Miami. I live in Pinecrest. Keep me posted. There should be plenty of refuge on the Visitor side. Can't imagine it will be sold out.

Reaction Score
Fantastic.

A 50 point swing from last year. They smoked UConn 45-0 so to come back a year later and fight for the win is impressive.

As for a bowl game, I fear we might look back at that Utah state game and wonder what could have been. Still, some clear progress being made.

Reaction Score
Fantastic.

A 50 point swing from last year. They smoked UConn 45-0 so to come back a year later and fight for the win is impressive.

As for a bowl game, I fear we might look back at that Utah state game and wonder what could have been. Still, some clear progress being made.
To paraphrase our fearless leader's father: Bowl game? You're talking bowl game?

I'm listening to the horse begging everyone to not put the cart in front of it. That was an unbelievable win yesterday, even if you ignore that we hadn't beaten a real football team for five long years. But it doesn't erase the games we had played prior to yesterday either. Could we at least beat one of the worst teams in the FBS Saturday night before people start talking about bowl games please?

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
We must have been keeping out powder dry against Michigan and NC State. Zion looked like a different player. My faith is back.

BC is going to light us up. Every other game is competitive. We have a legit shot at a bowl game.

Reaction Score
You write the small print legalese warning labels for consumer products as a side hustle don’t ya…
Get to 4-4, then you maybe can speak about bowl eligibility. Then, ya gotta see if a slot is available.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Get to 4-4, then you maybe can speak about bowl eligibility. Then, ya gotta see if a slot is available.

Actually, you can continue to talk about it until you take 7 losses (and even then with how many bowls there are, you never know).

I swear I will never understand the need for some to try to "put the brakes" on fans being excited... on a fan site!

Reaction Score
This is a season-changing win, maybe even a program-changing win. I think getting to a bowl game is a legitimate possibility. I believe we should be more talented than FIU, Ball State, and UMass. Also, Army is awful this year. If you get up on them early, they can't come back due to their offense.

It’s an important win because now we have something tangible to point to and say that things are different now.

We have to back it up though.

Reaction Score
Actually, you can continue to talk about it until you take 7 losses (and even then with how many bowls there are, you never know).

I swear I will never understand the need for some to try to "put the brakes" on fans being excited... on a fan site!
Excitement is good. Disappointment is good. Irrational excitement leads to irrational disappointment and that has consequences when administrations act on irrational disappointment.

What is irrational disappointment? Things like Wisconsin firing Paul Chryst. They have an irrational belief in what they are, and then they fire a guy who did a good job there.

Reaction Score
What is irrational disappointment? Things like Wisconsin firing Paul Chryst. They have an irrational belief in what they are, and then they fire a guy who did a good job there.
It’s more about programs being aspirational, rather than irrational. They should want to challenge OSU and Michigan. Why not try to be elite. I believe there are other coaches out there who can take the Badgers to the next level. Chryst was a plodding, boring guy. He wasn’t a good enough recruiter for where they want to go. For example—you don’t think a Ryan Day or Lincoln Riley could make a difference in Madison? There are better coaches than Chryst out there for UW--and certainly better ones for Colorado than Karl Dorrell. I applaud both administrations for acting. Now they have to choose wisely.

Reaction Score
It’s more about programs being aspirational, rather than irrational. They should want to challenge OSU and Michigan. Why not try to be elite. I believe there are other coaches out there who can take the Badgers to the next level. Chryst was a plodding, boring guy. He wasn’t a good enough recruiter for where they want to go. For example—you don’t think a Ryan Day or Lincoln Riley could make a difference in Madison? There are better coaches than Chryst out there for UW--and certainly better ones for Colorado than Karl Dorrell. I applaud both administrations for acting. Now they have to choose wisely.
Can you get a Ryan Day or Lincoln Riley there?

Nebraska was aspirational too when they fired Bo Pelini and before that Frank Solich. Hasn't exactly worked out for them.

Reaction Score
These programs that have not really been major powers, Wisconsin, Colorado, or have pretty much fallen out of that level, like Nebraska, all think they can get there but I’m not sure they ever will. Nebraska and Miami are sort of the poster children for programs that lost there way when they left for new leagues. The Huskers recruited the southwest, especially Texas, for skill players. In the Big 10, that connection was lost. Kids from Texas went to Nebraska knowing they’d play 2-4 games in front of the home folks each year.

Reaction Score
These programs that have not really been major powers, Wisconsin, Colorado, or have pretty much fallen out of that level, like Nebraska, all think they can get there but I’m not sure they ever will. Nebraska and Miami are sort of the poster children for programs that lost there way when they left for new leagues. The Huskers recruited the southwest, especially Texas, for skill players. In the Big 10, that connection was lost. Kids from Texas went to Nebraska knowing they’d play 2-4 games in front of the home folks each year.
Nebraska didn't play many games in Texas until they joined the Big 12 in 1996. They were in the Big 8 conference which was Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa St., Colorado, Missouri, Kansas St., Oklahoma St. They have played over 85 games against Iowa St., Oklahoma, Kansas St., Missouri, and Kansas. They have played 62 games against Minnesota and 52 against Iowa. The most games they have played against teams from Texas are 14 against both Texas and Texas A&M, most coming when they were in the Big 12.

As for recruiting, I checked the 1994 national championship roster. Six were from Texas and none were offensive skill players and one was a DB. The vast majority of the roster was from Nebraska (especially walk-ons), and 12 were from California, and 5 each from Florida, New Jersey, and Missouri.

I think the structural problem that Nebraska has faced is that when they were on a roll (primarily before they joined the Big 12), they were always on TV because they were one of the top teams and there weren't many games shown on TV. Nebraska recruited nationally due to name recognition and accomplishments. Now, Nebraska does not hold the same cache with recruits or college football fans in general. I think they can be a perennial top 25 team, but I don't think they can win a national championship anymore.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Excitement is good. Disappointment is good. Irrational excitement leads to irrational disappointment and that has consequences when administrations act on irrational disappointment.

Irrational excitement is literally the definition of a fan, since the word "fan" is short for fanatic.

It's okay to be irrational. Irrational is what makes people spend money to see other people run around on grass. Fans don't root for sports teams to be rational. Try it sometime... you might like it...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hey be careful, you could be labeled " irrationally exuberant."
Given the current economy and the market, I am pining away for those days of irrational exuberance.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yes, but these were WAC homers. Kinda pissed me off.
The Game was on CBS Sports Network and it was probably the H-team broadcast crew, but there was no overt west coast basis.

Meghan McPeak is a Canadian play-by play announcer, known for WNBA, G-League games out of Washington DC. Christian Fauria is a former NFL tight end, and co-host of the evening drive on WEEI, Boston. He used to do the sidelines for Patriots preseason games. Evidently he graduated to color.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom