Humongous win for the program | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Humongous win for the program

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Whatever....it isn't dreaming. It's putting unrealistic expectations on the team which has 1 FBS win in 3 years. Then bashing them when they do not live up to said expectations.

This is an entirely different program, almost literally, than the '19 version. Different coach, schemes, players, philosophy. The ability to set reasonable expectations, yet strive for a goal seemingly just outside attainability is not so unusual. I'm never in favor of telling a fan base how to fan, unless they are negative to the point of questioning why they follow a given team.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
To paraphrase our fearless leader's father: Bowl game? You're talking bowl game?

I'm listening to the horse begging everyone to not put the cart in front of it. That was an unbelievable win yesterday, even if you ignore that we hadn't beaten a real football team for five long years. But it doesn't erase the games we had played prior to yesterday either. Could we at least beat one of the worst teams in the FBS Saturday night before people start talking about bowl games please?
Could we at least beat one of the worst teams in the FBS Saturday night before people start talking about bowl games please?
No-hand.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great win. As some are noting here, there is still a long way to go. Not to mention that this team has just been decimated with injuries. I have to believe the rest of this season continues to be bumpy. What I am most encouraged about is that Mora kept this team focused and motivated after the brutal start to the season. That tells me he knows how to lead. Given his resume you have to assume he knows the Xs and Os. Given some time he'll continue to take the talent level up. It will be interesting to see what he does the next couple of seasons.

Reaction Score
Last road win vs non- UMess team was almost exactly 5 years ago. Let’s break that streak before we plan December travel.

Reaction Score
It’s more about programs being aspirational, rather than irrational. They should want to challenge OSU and Michigan. Why not try to be elite. I believe there are other coaches out there who can take the Badgers to the next level. Chryst was a plodding, boring guy. He wasn’t a good enough recruiter for where they want to go. For example—you don’t think a Ryan Day or Lincoln Riley could make a difference in Madison? There are better coaches than Chryst out there for UW--and certainly better ones for Colorado than Karl Dorrell. I applaud both administrations for acting. Now they have to choose wisely.
Do I think Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley could make a difference in Wisconsin? No. I do not. Chryst was good at Wisconsin. Not elite. They aren't an elite football program.

Saban, to me is greatest college coach of all time. What was his record at Michigan State again? He won one bowl game in five years there.

We'll see who Wisconsin gets. But, Nebraska thought Scott Frost was a HR hire. What a trainwreck. They aren't who they think they are.

Reaction Score
Do I think Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley could make a difference in Wisconsin? No. I do not. Chryst was good at Wisconsin. Not elite. They aren't an elite football program.

Saban, to me is greatest college coach of all time. What was his record at Michigan State again? He won one bowl game in five years there.

We'll see who Wisconsin gets. But, Nebraska thought Scott Frost was a HR hire. What a trainwreck. They aren't who they think they are.
This is my view too. They might be Iowa. A chance to win if Michigan and Ohio State both have off years. Good, not great.

Reaction Score

Well said. Too many folks think that because they can take good but not great programs to championships on video games, it should be just as possible in real life.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That’s a pretty cynical view. There’s no reason Wisconsin can’t become competitive with Michigan, Penn State and Ohio St. Consider the fact that heretofore, their uninspiring coaches haven’t recruited a QB like CJ Stroud. Put him on Wisconsin and Jack Coan on OSU. Any difference?

The consensus top UW starting QB’s were Jim Sorgi, John Stocco, Brooks Bollinger, Scott Tolzien, Darrell Bevell, Joel Stave, Jack Coan and Russell Wilson (1 year).

Impressed?

The top OSU starting QB’s were Terrell Pryor, Craig Krenzel, Dwayne Haskins, Braxton Miller, JT Barrett, Troy Smith, Justin Fields, C.J. Stroud.

There’s no reason the right coach, recruiting better players can’t turn Wisconsin into a B1G Champion. They also have huge boosters with deep pockets.

Who knows who they’ll choose. There are several good candidates.

For example, Lance Leopold was spectacular at Wisconsin-Whitewater, Buffalo and now Kansas. Could he rev up UW? Who knows, but I’d bet on him (or a few others) making that fan base (and the media) forget about the easily forgettable Paul Chryst.

Reaction Score
That’s a pretty cynical view. There’s no reason Wisconsin can’t become competitive with Michigan, Penn State and Ohio St. Consider the fact that heretofore, their uninspiring coaches haven’t recruited a QB like CJ Stroud. Put him on Wisconsin and Jack Coan on OSU. Any difference?

The consensus top UW starting QB’s were Jim Sorgi, John Stocco, Brooks Bollinger, Scott Tolzien, Darrell Bevell, Joel Stave, Jack Coan and Russell Wilson (1 year).

Impressed?

The top OSU starting QB’s were Terrell Pryor, Craig Krenzel, Dwayne Haskins, Braxton Miller, JT Barrett, Troy Smith, Justin Fields, C.J. Stroud.

There’s no reason the right coach, recruiting better players can’t turn Wisconsin into a B1G Champion. They also have huge boosters with deep pockets.

Who knows who they’ll choose. There are several good candidates.

For example, Lance Leopold was spectacular at Wisconsin-Whitewater, Buffalo and now Kansas. Could he rev up UW? Who knows, but I’d bet on him (or a few others) making that fan base (and the media) forget about the easily forgettable Paul Chryst.
They have been competitive. They're just not Michigan or OSU. They've been better than Iowa. Iowa has known better than to fire their steady hand in Ferentz. Leipold is great. He is an it guy and I believe he would kill it there but what you just wrote could have been written about Nebraska when they canned Bo Pelini.

Reaction Score
What you just wrote could have been written about Nebraska when they canned Bo Pelini.

Sure, but so what, you stop trying?
If Wisconsin had chosen (the old) Urban Meyer instead of Paul Chryst, do you think the Badgers couldn’t have competed with the big boys during that same tenure?
It’s all about wanting to improve. And BTW, that’s a good thing, not an irrational idea.

Reaction Score
Sure, but so what, you stop trying?
If Wisconsin had chosen (the old) Urban Meyer instead of Paul Chryst, do you think the Badgers couldn’t have competed with the big boys during that same tenure?
It’s all about wanting to improve. And BTW, that’s a good thing, not an irrational idea.
Certainly respect your point of view and lord knows they have the money, but when you fire a guy with 73 percent win percentage more bad can happen than good. Chryst had an almost identical record to Brett Beliema at Wisconsin. Makes me think he was smart to chase the money at Arkansas. I first thought he was stupid for leaving a good thing at UW, but apparently that type of winning is not good enough there.

Reaction Score

Then there's really no reason for anyone but about a dozen teams to even go out on the field.

As for Saban,
MSU (the 4 years before Saban) 3 wins, 5 wins, 1 win, 0 wins (91-94)
~ was Diaco the coach ?
MSU with Saban: 6 wins, 6 wins, 7 wins, 6 wins, 9 wins (95-99)
There's no reason to think that had he not left, he would have done what he did at LSU/UA at MSU.

Reaction Score
Then there's really no reason for anyone but about a dozen teams to even go out on the field.

As for Saban,
MSU (the 4 years before Saban) 3 wins, 5 wins, 1 win, 0 wins (91-94)
~ was Diaco the coach ?
MSU with Saban: 6 wins, 6 wins, 7 wins, 6 wins, 9 wins (95-99)
There's no reason to think that had he not left, he would have done what he did at LSU/UA at MSU.
I don't think you can create an elite program at every school no matter who the coach is. You can create a very good program, but not an elite program. To create an elite program, you need a large fan base and be in a very fertile recruiting territory and then top off the recruiting base with pieces outside of your geography. That is why Saban left Michigan St. and went to LSU. At LSU, you can create an elite program and win multiple championships.

Reaction Score
If the question is can a great coach elevate a program, I think sure. But usually not for long and only so high. it depends on lots of factors and there are really just a handful of those guys. In the Big or the SEC there are lots of other programs to climb over, lots of Wisconsins and Iowas and Penn States all of whom can derail you while you chase Ohio State or Michigan, It is probably not as tough in the ACC, B12 or PAC because there aren’t as many real contenders. At least that is how I have always looked at it. But you also dont have as many places with the same level of commitment. So you could build Clemson because there just weren’t as many teams trying to do the same thing. They might say they are, but once late October comes, they care more about who will be the starting point guard than who is Playing quarterback.

Reaction Score
I don't think you can create an elite program at every school no matter who the coach is. You can create a very good program, but not an elite program. To create an elite program, you need a large fan base and be in a very fertile recruiting territory and then top off the recruiting base with pieces outside of your geography. That is why Saban left Michigan St. and went to LSU. At LSU, you can create an elite program and win multiple championships.

Michigan is pretty close to MSU isn't it ? and Ohio State ?

Fanbases follow winning. A great coach can win before your program becomes "elite", and then make it elite by sustaining that winning.

Reaction Score
Michigan is pretty close to MSU isn't it ? and Ohio State ?

Fanbases follow winning. A great coach can win before your program becomes "elite", and then make it elite by sustaining that winning.
I think Michigan was elite but they are having a hard time becoming elite again. I define elite as finishing in the top 10 in half of the years in the past 15 years and Michigan has 2 Top 10 finishes in the AP poll in the past 15 years. Here are the schools that I consider to be elite over the past 15 years with # of top 10 finishes:

Alabama - 13
Ohio St. - 13
Oklahoma - 11
Clemson - 8
Georgia - 8
Oregon - 8 (I think it will be hard for them to maintain)

Schools that have been close to elite:

LSU - 5
Florida - 5
Penn St. - 5
USC - 4
Florida St. - 4
Notre Dame - 4
Michigan St. - 4
Stanford - 4
Texas - 4

Other schools:

Boise St. - 3