How would you rank the kick we will receive soon? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

How would you rank the kick we will receive soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Looks like you pretty much killed the JD already, Chin.

IMG_20160731_193425.jpg

Reaction Score
This round is the final referendum on UConn's "play it cool" strategy.

If we don't get in, with all of the public bluster by Houston, Memphis, UCF, etc., and their supporters, then it will be fair to crucify the administration for their stoic, above-the-fray, New England style sending all the wrong messages in the era of Twitter.

Reaction Score

If we don't get in, with all of the public bluster by Houston, Memphis, UCF, etc., and their supporters, then it will be fair to crucify the administration for their stoic, above-the-fray, New England style sending all the wrong messages in the era of Twitter.

Please stop and go back to the BB board. Do you really think that begging on Twitter is the reason any team gets in? We probably won't get in because of posts like this. I know the Big 12 takes into consideration fan knowledge. :rolleyes:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

Disagree. Even though Houston is being public about it, and some of their boosters were very vocal, that's not what got them to the top of the list. All the public stuff is noise. What got them to the top of the list was politics with Texas about UT's Houston campus. Probably a lot of stuff going on behind closed doors. If it's Memphis, it'll be similar with FedEx agreeing to donate to UM athletic department so they can undercut on the payout.

UConn's been quieter on the media front. I don't think that means they're playing hard to get in the meeting room.

Reaction Score

If we don't get in, with all of the public bluster by Houston, Memphis, UCF, etc., and their supporters, then it will be fair to crucify the administration for their stoic, above-the-fray, New England style sending all the wrong messages in the era of Twitter.[/QUOTE
I believe if we're not selected threre is very little we could have legally done differently
BYU football is an obvious football choice
Cinn is a concession to WVA ( they are a good school thats made a serious commitment to football )
Actually the only departure that significantly impacts us.

Houston a shameless political Quid pro Quo
And Memphis outright bribery

By the B12 's own data we should have been a top two choice ,put geography culturally concerns possibly moved us out if the top two,but no worst than 3.
No point in crying about it.
It's not the end of the world.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If we get in or not will have had nothing to do with any public campaigning.

I think we're a longshot - I'm not really buying the Big 12 going to 14 yet and if they do, I really do believe they are dysfunctional enough to where they invite Memphis or UCF.

That said, the resulting nut-kicking would be without precedent in modern college athletics.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Screw it. I am figuratively going commando. It is the only thing to do at this point. Why bother with titanium when there is a wrecking ball headed straight for our gonads? Or maybe it isn't, in which case I will feel silly wearing a titanium cup.

I think we should start celebrating our Big 12 invitation, today.

Reaction Score
Screw it. I am figuratively going commando. It is the only thing to do at this point. Why bother with titanium when there is a wrecking ball headed straight for our gonads? Or maybe it isn't, in which case I will feel silly wearing a titanium cup.

Doomed. Just doomed. :confused:

Reaction Score
OK ... I admit to being a UConn Homer.

This comes down to a very strong binary: (1.) If we don't get in, it's geography. Too many of the current 10 think Connecticut (after a few years of WVU) is too damn far. (Like the sportswriters do) Sure ... it's Football pedigree too. and (2.) If we do get in ... Oklahoma and Texas just bought into the "dream" of playing semi-regular in the Metro NY market. We will be playing Football in Yankee Stadium/Giants Stadium.

On almost all the criteria Frank the Tank and others submit ... it's not close. Should do BYU (excepting that Sunday thing). And Cincinnati pulls some weight as a solid consistent Football program. I don't really see UC above UConn except that geography thing. Of course, Houston has the Governor, the Lt Governor ... and probably needs to now be against Planned Parenthood or some such.

I think they are going to 4. From what I read, that's the difference between $400m and $800m revenue in the next contract. And then 2025, this dysfunctional bunch goes to the wind. By then, UConn should be more stable through the FB Program and growth of the Brand. Yup ... we need this.

UCF scares me; they are on a roll in growth and Florida appeals to the FB element. Memphis has no place in this ... IMO.

The base case that none of these media writers get (and we don't hear much from the Presidents at all): Look at BC and Rutgers and Syracuse. UConn just is always a BETTER Athletic Departments. Exce[t the brief FUBAR on Pasqualoni, we just do this far better. We do. And that should lead to a decade of solid Football and an enriched Basketball program. I still believe we have the capacity to turn our UConn WBB Program into the Harlem Globetrotters ... and reap $$$ in every town we march into.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
kick potential scales with the B12 presidents' lack of common sense + foresight, raised to the third power.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
A UH booster has indicated to me that they have actually been invited to and have had a seat at some B12 events. Their president is a very smart lady and they have been soliciting the B12 for years, in a very public way. Based on recent events, it appears their approach is working.

As we did when Louisville got the ACC nod, we have done everything completely in secret through the UCONN Foundation so that the media can't find out anything through FOIA requests. Compared to UH, we're very late to this game, albeit through no fault of our own. Who'd look at a map and pick the second furthest conference away to concentrate on?

Whether or not a public, out in the open campaign by our administration would be more or less effective I don't know, but it worked for Louisville before and it appears to be working for UH and possibly others now. If we miss out this time around, forget about whether it mattered or not, it's going to look like our administration learned nothing from the Louisville kick, and repeated the same mistake all over again. Some UCONN supporters will not forgive them for it.

I certainly hope I will be wrong and we get the call from the B12 regardless of how we went about promoting our candidacy. That's why I'm somewhat optimistic because I can't believe we'd be this silent unless our administration knows something that nobody else does. If not, the backlash will be extremely grim for them.

Reaction Score
A UH booster has indicated to me that they have actually been invited to and have had a seat at some B12 events. Their president is a very smart lady and they have been soliciting the B12 for years, in a very public way. Based on recent events, it appears their approach is working.

As we did when Louisville got the ACC nod, we have done everything completely in secret through the UCONN Foundation so that the media can't find out anything through FOIA requests. Compared to UH, we're very late to this game, albeit through no fault of our own. Who'd look at a map and pick the second furthest conference away to concentrate on?

Whether or not a public, out in the open campaign by our administration would be more or less effective I don't know, but it worked for Louisville before and it appears to be working for UH and possibly others now. If we miss out this time around, forget about whether it mattered or not, it's going to look like our administration learned nothing from the Louisville kick, and repeated the same mistake all over again. Some UCONN supporters will not forgive them for it.

I certainly hope I will be wrong and we get the call from the B12 regardless of how we went about promoting our candidacy. That's why I'm somewhat optimistic because I can't believe we'd be this silent unless our administration knows something that nobody else does. If not, the backlash will be extremely grim for them.
Very late to the game? We've been at it a couple years. It was rumored to be us and Cincy just a few months ago.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

If UConn is not picked, there is going to be some very upset people around the university and at the state house.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I sure hope UConn ends up crawling through a river of $h*t and coming out clean on the other side.
We've done the crawling. I'm just hoping there is an end to this damn pipe.

CL82

Reaction Score

duck no you maniac.

We're doomed!

Reaction Score
If UConn is not picked, there is going to be some very upset people around the university and at the state house.
Hope they get in. But if not maybe we will hold Gov. Dan Malloy responsible. Has he done anything to help UConn in realignment or is he obsessed only with raising the min. wage and the costs of doing business in CT?

CL82

Reaction Score
Somehow Shawshank Redemption parallels our story. We are innocent damn it.

The-Shawshank-Redemption-Facts-and-Secrets-14-Sewage-Escape.jpg

jbWom.jpg
repost after the announcement if things go our way.

Reaction Score
Give Cincy credit, they seem to be very comfortable and honestly they are a joke. It is a borderline community college, the city is a dump, what exact athletic success have they had, they are well behind OSU in interest (i.e., Ohio kids don't want to go there and will never care about B12 athletics)

They have marketed themselves as a travel partner for WVU, yet the Dude claims his "sources" say WVU has no support for Cincy and will vote no on their admission

Very late to the game? We've been at it a couple years. It was rumored to be us and Cincy just a few months ago.

Reaction Score
Big 12.jpg
I certainly hope I will be wrong and we get the call from the B12 regardless of how we went about promoting our candidacy. That's why I'm somewhat optimistic because I can't believe we'd be this silent unless our administration knows something that nobody else does. If not, the backlash will be extremely grim for them.[/QUOTE]

David Benedict Brings Power-5 Experience to UConn

I continue to believe our AD and president fully understand what is on the line and are doing everything in there power to make this happen. This article clearly indicates why David was brought here. Big 12 or Bust and the stakes could not be higher.

With that said it will hurt like hell if we don't get in

Reaction Score
Give Cincy credit, they seem to be very comfortable and honestly they are a joke. It is a borderline community college, the city is a dump, what exact athletic success have they had, they are well behind OSU in interest (i.e., Ohio kids don't want to go there and will never care about B12 athletics)

They have marketed themselves as a travel partner for WVU, yet the Dude claims his "sources" say WVU has no support for Cincy and will vote no on their admission

This argument may have been valid about 30 years ago, but there's nothing factual in there now.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This emphasis on public salesmanship is ridiculous. The only people public salesmanship wins over are random fans on Twitter. I care about what's said to Presidents and ADs in private meetings and presentations, because that's what gets teams in.

People who would blame us not making it in on a lack of tweets by our AD or publicly begging are just pissed off in general and looking for reasons to get mad.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

I indicated in comparison to UH. They've been at it for many years with the B12, and rightfully so. It's their logical P5 home based on everything important to them. That said, if the SEC or PAC12 extends them an invite, they'll drop their B12 efforts like a hot potato and only ask where do we sign.

Reaction Score
Houston has zero relevance in Houston. The smart kids go to UT or A&M. Houston is a garbage community college like Cincy, Memphis or Louisville. They lobbied UT and Texas to force as entry and UT has that weight.

I indicated in comparison to UH. They've been at it for many years with the B12, and rightfully so. It's their logical P5 home based on everything important to them. That said, if the SEC or PAC12 extends them an invite, they'll drop their B12 efforts like a hot potato and only ask where do we sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom