How Will Opponents Deal With Stewie? | The Boneyard

How Will Opponents Deal With Stewie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
First, let me say that I know we have spent lots of time on her lately, and I raise this topic not meaning to slight the rest of the magnificent players on the team. Second, it is the very fact that U Conn is powerful with or without her that contributes significantly to her basketball potency. In the Final Four Kara Lawson said that both Notre Dame and Louisville had players who could cover all the other starters, but neither had one who could make a game of it with Stewie.

As potent as KML is on offense, it would not be surprising if opposing coaches saw Stewie as the most paramount defensive assignment. Given the range of her game, which translates into a physically wide range on the court, I don't see double teaming as a potential; not to mention the fact that KML, Bria and Stef would rain buckets on them. Likewise, a sag is usually most effective with a player of more limited range. Somewhat a factor will be who will be the starting PG (I hope MoJeffs jumper is coming along).

If I am the opposing coach and I have the horses for it, I suppose I'd be doing a lot of defensive switching between zone and man to man and look to slow down the game. I would not be surprised to see other teams try to get a couple of quick fouls on Stewie too, though she was pretty good at avoiding fouls in the NCAAs.

Ideas?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I don't think they will. As in I don't think they will be able to.

KIdnap her. You hit the nail on the head. It's a combo of her being that good and versatile, coupled with a bunch of other future pros who are also pretty versatile. Maybe they try and triple team her and double team KML. :p The offensive potential for this team is scary. The thing is, UConn's defense is usually so good that the D assures the win and the O determines by how much. The "how much" could be impressive, especially since the team seems to have no total cyphers on the bench. Maybe they'd all start for almost every other team, and that's without knowing what Chong can do.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Physically, very physically

and Holding, to limit one of her great assets - the ability to play inside and out
Agreed. It worked to some extent last year and physically man-handling Maya and DT were common tactics - the refs just won't call all the fouls.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The team is too balanced with too many differing threats to overly focus on any one player. Stewie and KML will both recive their share of focus but give them too much and Stef or Bria will hurt you badly. Both Stef and Bria are players who have been the primary focus of opponents in the past for good reasons. They are among the best in the country.

Reaction Score
Agree. If she draws too much attention, they can't guard Dolson, KML, Hartley, and Jefferson. The scores could even be more lopsided.
The team is too balanced with too many differing threats to overly focus on anyone player. Stewie and KMLwill both recive their share of focus but give them too much and Stef or Bria will hurt you badly. Both Stef and Bria are players who have been the primary focus of opponents for good reasons. They are among the best in the country.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
white-flag 2.jpg

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I see the issue not as how you stop Stewart, but how you stop Uconn. The problem in defending Uconn is never one player but the combination of all the players on the floor. One possibility is to ignore Stewart and let her score as much as she can and focus on limiting the rest of the team. Let Stewart score thirty but make sure the rest of the team doesn't match her output. Not saying it would work, but probably as good a strategy as any other.

Reaction Score
Put a pesky and quick player (a la MoJeff) on her when she is roaming outside and switch to a big physical one when she goes inside. Of course it is easier said than done.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Line ups available to create match up chaos for opponents.

Tall Cedars - Stef, Breanna, (Morgan or Kiah), KML, Bria

Jail Break - MoJeff, (Brianna B. or Saniya), Bria, KML, Breanna

Reaction Score
ROCKY: how about an innovation of the old "Box and one," like a "Box and six or seven"?

I agree with several others here that mugging will be the order of the day for many opposing coaches, sad to say. I hope to hell the refs will help maintain the beauty of basketball as it was meant to be played. Wish that recent big whig committee had been stronger on that, but I think they did come up with a few things that might help. The supervisor (or whatever the title is) of refs is such an important position.

Reaction Score
MoJeff, Bria, and Banks better be ready to hit shots. If I were a defense, I'd much rather have them trying jump shots than have the ball in KML, TBS, or Dolson's hands.

Reaction Score
Stokes too.
Until she shows that she's willing to even look at the basket, let alone shoot the ball, I wouldnt even guard her.

Reaction Score
VOW _ ditto on both (though maybe overstated some on Stokes)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
MoJeff, Bria, and Banks better be ready to hit shots. If I were a defense, I'd much rather have them trying jump shots than have the ball in KML, TBS, or Dolson's hands.

Vowelguy (and others) are forgetting Ms. Tuck.
Can score in bunches inside, especially if attention is diverted elsewhere.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
They'll cower back into a corner and cry themselves to sleep.

Reaction Score
Our defense this year with Banks back and the additional of Chong will make this potent pressing team espically with the 10 second rule being implemented.

Reaction Score
First, let me say that I know we have spent lots of time on her lately, and I raise this topic not meaning to slight the rest of the magnificent players on the team. Second, it is the very fact that U Conn is powerful with or without her that contributes significantly to her basketball potency. In the Final Four Kara Lawson said that both Notre Dame and Louisville had players who could cover all the other starters, but neither had one who could make a game of it with Stewie.

As potent as KML is on offense, it would not be surprising if opposing coaches saw Stewie as the most paramount defensive assignment. Given the range of her game, which translates into a physically wide range on the court, I don't see double teaming as a potential; not to mention the fact that KML, Bria and Stef would rain buckets on them. Likewise, a sag is usually most effective with a player of more limited range. Somewhat a factor will be who will be the starting PG (I hope MoJeffs jumper is coming along).

If I am the opposing coach and I have the horses for it, I suppose I'd be doing a lot of defensive switching between zone and man to man and look to slow down the game. I would not be surprised to see other teams try to get a couple of quick fouls on Stewie too, though she was pretty good at avoiding fouls in the NCAAs.

Ideas?

Ideas?

Reaction Score
It would be pick your poison, if you go zone you have 3 really good 3 point shooters that would break it down- if you go man to man you can post Stewie w/ Dolson at top of post, (great passer) to Stewie and what about Kaleena who plays big down low as well. As long as Bria and Banks and little smerf can penetrate and kick out, look out.
Must be disheartening trying to draw up a game plan against Uconn HUH ?

Reaction Score
Let's see. How about mace, stun gun, taser, hand-cuffs, kryptonite, spider webs, tele transport her somewhere else, flying monkeys, wild horses. Sorry, I got nothing.... she is close to unstoppable. Just mark that game on your schedule as an L and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom