How UConn will Beat South Carolina | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How UConn will Beat South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's a good thought. I do believe they can win. They are a solid unit. And anybody can be beat. So why not uconn.
Go Huskies
Good point. Against LSU, I believe had not Reese fouled out, LSU would have beaten SC--they were up by 12 at one point......

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
On any given day a top team can lose. It’s happened before and will continue to happen. That is why the games are played. UConn has as good a chance at winning as anyone. Why not them? With Edwards and Bueckers playing their A game anything is possible. Personally I like their chances. As for SC being crowned ‘undefeated national champions’…. Don’t count your chickens (or gamecocks) before they hatch! Go Huskies
When top teams lose it is usually against a non-ranked team. Against another top team they are prepared and really jacked up for the game. Non-ranked teams, they can be overlooked, some players are not "into" the game, and of course, as we all know, they play their best to beat the ranked team. Every team can be dangerous and should be respected, something that Geno has preached from the beginning.

Reaction Score
I just took a quick look at SC games against ranked teams. Three were close -- UNC, Utah, and LSU. In the first two, SC didn't shoot that many shots and % wasn't great. In the LSU game, LSU led until about 5 minutes in the 4th. Don't know why, but LSU missed a lot of shots in the 4th compared to the other 3 quarters. I remember watching the game, and LSU seemed to get sloppy in the 4th qtr., Reese in particular.
So... UConn, as many open shots as they can get, fight for ORB and get a few more than they should, and keep focused for 40 minutes.
Big ask, I know.

Reaction Score
just want to point out to all doomsayers that the gamecocks have NOT annulated all their opponents. simple truth.

this doesn't mean that won't be huskies' fate sunday ... but the extreme pessimism here is hard to take.
Pessimism or realism? C'mon, speak your mind.

Reaction Score
I don't know about the Hebrew Bible, but in other iterations of the Bible I'm pretty sure that was Lot. The guy with the salty wife.

To keep this on target, one possibility is that the ball just refuses to go in the basket very often for SCar. We've all seen this happen. It can happen to anyone. That's why the game HAS to be played. It hurts when it happens to UConn.
On the specific reference, FanFromMaine is right, Skeets is wrong (see Gen. 18:23-32). Meanwhile, back at the game . . .

Reaction Score
Too much has to go right for us to come away with a win but IF our freshmen can hold their own and don’t allow the magnitude of the game get the best of them and IF we can limit the runs of 8+ points in succession by So. Carolina to one or two runs and IF we keep the TOs to under 10 or 12, then maybe……Stranger things have happened, but it’s doubtful Sunday will fall into this category.

Reaction Score
Pessimism or realism? C'mon, speak your mind.
I’d go with pessimism.

Everyone is aware that it is a tough task to beat SC. So, one could argue, insisting that UConn won’t win speaks to feeling defeated.

As one poster said, where’s the fun in that!!!

Reaction Score
On the specific reference, FanFromMaine is right, Skeets is wrong (see Gen. 18:23-32). Meanwhile, back at the game . . .
But Skeets is right in one regard. Abraham lost out in the bargaining and the cities were destroyed.

Reaction Score
Not wishing to divert this from the thread's original intent, but BOTH Abraham AND Lot have their separate roles in Genesis, and are not meant to be one and the same. Abraham has his negotiation with God in Chapter 18, while Lot's ordeal follows in Chapter 19. Now, please continue.......
In my recollection, the stories follow in a cross-chapter theme, a tough theme at that.

I find Biblical references come to mind in old age.

Reaction Score
Good point. Against LSU, I believe had not Reese fouled out, LSU would have beaten SC--they were up by 12 at one point......
I also think LSU's chances of beating SCar were very high before Angel fouled out. I am sure many Gamecock fans feel the same.

Reaction Score
I've said it before, but UConn played South Carolina very close last year. And that was also a year we were depleted, losing to Big East teams, and South Carolina was stacked with superstar players and poised to repeat. Had a couple things gone our way, we might have stolen a win.

Why not this time? I'd say we're due for an "upset" of our own at this point, given what's happened in all the years since Mississippi State upset us in the Final Four ... :oops:

Reaction Score
Gosh I’m amazed at how thick the rose colored glasses are here sometimes. Head in the sand, breathing through a straw. I expect it from Next12, but not you too Tony!

Love UConn, but this team has very little chance here. Almost zero. You know what? It’s okay! This team is what it is. Injury riddled, two years in a row.

Hopefully, they can make it respectable. All they can do is their best, and I know they will.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We play our best, Paige plays like one of the best players in the country, Edwards plays like an All American, the freshman hit their shots and Nika stays on the court

We can win, I believe

It won't be easy, but it's plausible. Shame on any UConn fan that thinks it can't happen

Reaction Score
Whatever the outcome of this game may be, let's keep in mind of the fact that we have aubrey, azzi, Jana, Ayanna, and Caroline on the bench. Those players on the bench injured, can easily be a top 25 team in another school. Easily. I hope we can play SC next year with our squad fully healthy.

Reaction Score
I also think LSU's chances of beating SCar were very high before Angel fouled out. I am sure many Gamecock fans feel the same.
In fact, at this point LSU is better than UConn. At least they have more players available on the bench.

Reaction Score
Whatever the outcome of this game may be, let's keep in mind of the fact that we have aubrey, azzi, Jana, Ayanna, and Caroline on the bench. Those players on the bench injured, can easily be a top 25 team in another school. Easily. I hope we can play SC next year with our squad fully healthy.
Dawn announced yesterday that we will play again in Columbia next year to catch-up for the year y’all needed to skip to make up a conference game that had been postponed

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
OK, I'm wrong yet again. Hey, I'm on a streak. The end of Chapter 19 is particularly nasty with Lot's daughters.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Gosh I’m amazed at how thick the rose colored glasses are here sometimes. Head in the sand, breathing through a straw. I expect it from Next12, but not you too Tony!

Love UConn, but this team has very little chance here. Almost zero. You know what? It’s okay! This team is what it is. Injury riddled, two years in a row.

Hopefully, they can make it respectable. All they can do is their best, and I know they will.
Do you not know Tony? lol

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well SC is going to have to stop our 2 AAs Paige and Aaliyah and imo both are unstoppable one on one. So if they are double teamed everybody else will have to score. That means Nika and KK especially will have to hit shots. No only a few treys but pull up jumpers. Paige and Aaliyah will get their points and most likely they wont come easy. I really like UConn in this game. Our defense is really good and without Cardoso in the middle we can penetrate and Aaliyah will have more room to maneuver which could cause SC to foul her. UConn must exhibit poise patience energy and confidence. If things get tight Paige is always there. The one thing that cant happen is in that little court between their ears....which equals doubt and fear of failure. If we can control that little court between our ears we will be fine.

Reaction Score
It's not the first time Uconn has entered hostile territory and was told they had no chance. Uconn at Tenn. NC game 1995. Don't remember the year, ND NC. Geno has always said that for some reason Uconn always goes into another level of play for these games. Another attitude and another sense that this is their game and will not lose. I GO ALONG WITH GENO.

Reaction Score
South Carolina is that team that makes you pay for your mistakes. One short stretch of sloppy basketball might very well be all they need to put the Huskies away without looking back.

The fact that we are heavily dependent on freshmen makes me nervous. And I love Nika but sometimes against good opponents she has been known to make some careless mistakes too. Hope no one takes offense to me saying that but I mean, it’s not unheard of.

It feels like over the last couple years you need to catch lightning in a bottle to beat them. Everything has to go perfectly, which rarely happens because that’s just the nature of basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom