How to guard Jaedon leedee | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How to guard Jaedon leedee

Reaction Score
I think the reaction is based on the assertion that we don’t have a player than can match up physically with Ledee one on one after Clingan just ended NU’s will to live. We have the most dominant defensive big in the country. Ledee will get his but suggesting there is a huge mismatch here is a wild take.
I think he probably thought Ledee played PF for them and Karaban was going to be the matchup. Perhaps he just saw a few series of Ledee stepping out and hitting 3's and also driving from 3 point line(which he did) and was concerned Clingan would have trouble guarding on the perimeter or get in foul trouble. Either way the guy was basically called a dope for even asking. The board can be a bit harsh sometimes. People have varying degrees of knowledge on here but we are all UConn fans. Wasn't like he was being a jerk or anything. One thing I will say is Ledee is very strong. In round 1 against UAB the refs let him get away with murder, tossing people around. Samson is long, but he will be overmatched physically. He struggled with matchups like that in the Big East at times. Hopefully his length and quickness will be an equalizer.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Look at their schedule. They lost a bunch of games to not great teams and had several close wins. I didn’t look at box scores, but unless this guy missed a ton of games, and i don’t believe he did, , he isn’t enough to make them scary. I know, on any given day.

And BTW, comments in other threads about our bad shooting game needs fixing, every jumper like every foul shot is its own little world. No way to correct a miss. Bad form might be fixable, hitting the rim isn’t.

Reaction Score
Sand Diego shot 53% overall and 48% from the 3 pt vs Yale Some folks on that team can put the ball through the hoop regardless of your ascertain.
Sometimes teams get hot and Yale was just an absolutely great matchup for them. SDSU is 206th in eFG%, 284th in 3 pt % (on low volume), and 119th in 2 pt %. That’s all with a VERY efficient Ledee mixed in. They’re not a good offensive team outside of Ledee, full stop.

Reaction Score
I was thinking that Ledee was a 4 for them--I had that wrong.

Yeah, Clingan will be able to swallow him up at the rim. Let him take his 3s or mid-range Js. Might actually be a game where Samson can get some effective run. He's got the athleticism and length to give Ledee fits if he does go off on the perimeter and neutralizes DC so we need to go offense/defense.

The more important question is going to be how can they guard US? Particularly in the half-court. Ledee is going to give up 5 inches and 25+lbs on the defensive end. Clingan is going to bully him at will. Their backup big is Karaban's size.

They don't have a single double-digit scorer other than Ledee. We will have more size at EVERY SINGLE POSITION.
Samson will foul LeDee twice in 3 minutes of play is my guess.

Reaction Score
Sometimes teams get hot and Yale was just an absolutely great matchup for them. SDSU is 206th in eFG%, 284th in 3 pt %, and 119th in 2 pt %. That’s all with a VERY efficient Ledee mixed in. They’re not a good offensive team outside of Ledee, full stop.
Thank you for speaking common sense. They are not a good shooting teams they just got hot

Reaction Score
Donovan has to keep his feet on the court and focus on being a roadblock. Ledee will want to get him to bite on upfakes and then crash into him to draw fouls. Don't bite on the upfakes. If DC can say on the court we will be fine.

Reaction Score
Donovan has to keep his feet on the court and focus on being a roadblock. Ledee will want to get him to bite on upfakes and then crash into him to draw fouls. Don't bite on the upfakes. If DC can say on the court we will be fine.
This. Honestly, I'd rather Clingan go for fewer blocks, stay in good position, and concede an extra layup or two than be in immediate foul trouble and put us in a position where we have to make outside shots.

pj

Reaction Score
I think UConn should play a double-big lineup with Samson and Clingan

(This is a joke)

Sanogo and Clingan would be better. Adama is our best chance to handle LeDee.

Reaction Score
I was thinking that Ledee was a 4 for them--I had that wrong.

Yeah, Clingan will be able to swallow him up at the rim. Let him take his 3s or mid-range Js. Might actually be a game where Samson can get some effective run. He's got the athleticism and length to give Ledee fits if he does go off on the perimeter and neutralizes DC so we need to go offense/defense.

The more important question is going to be how can they guard US? Particularly in the half-court. Ledee is going to give up 5 inches and 25+lbs on the defensive end. Clingan is going to bully him at will. Their backup big is Karaban's size.

They don't have a single double-digit scorer other than Ledee. We will have more size at EVERY SINGLE POSITION.
If their gameplan does turnout to be Ledee stretching the court, I'm sure Hurley will have Karaban play him man and have Clingan sit in drop coverage. We can't allow one guy to entirely dictate our defensive scheme.

Reaction Score
I think he probably thought Ledee played PF for them and Karaban was going to be the matchup. Perhaps he just saw a few series of Ledee stepping out and hitting 3's and also driving from 3 point line(which he did) and was concerned Clingan would have trouble guarding on the perimeter or get in foul trouble. Either way the guy was basically called a dope for even asking. The board can be a bit harsh sometimes. People have varying degrees of knowledge on here but we are all UConn fans. Wasn't like he was being a jerk or anything. One thing I will say is Ledee is very strong. In round 1 against UAB the refs let him get away with murder, tossing people around. Samson is long, but he will be overmatched physically. He struggled with matchups like that in the Big East at times. Hopefully his length and quickness will be an equalizer.
It was a legit question.
And many teams would employ a quick double strategy to get the ball out of his hands. Uconn doesn’t, but it’s not an absurd notion.

Lots of couch potato experts….

Reaction Score
It was a legit question.
And many teams would employ a quick double strategy to get the ball out of his hands. Uconn doesn’t, but it’s not an absurd notion.

Lots of couch potato experts….
The idea of a quick double against Ledee in certain situations (like when Samson is in) is not the piece of this that some of us found to be a wild take. It was the statement that we have no one that can match up physically with him 1-on-1.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Jaedon LeDee? Yes, I’ve heard. He destroys centers by the hundreds, and if he were here he’d consume the Huskies with fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his arse.

Face it, we can't stop him. We can't contain him. If we get him angry he may inflict enough carnage to destroy our program. I'm beginning to think we may have made a mistake by beating Northwestern.

Reaction Score
Sand Diego shot 53% overall and 48% from the 3 pt vs Yale Some folks on that team can put the ball through the hoop regardless of your ascertain.
But it was weaker competition and atypical. They dont shoot that well normally.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I really don't know Dan, but I'm flattered that you would ask us.

Reaction Score
Its not like Clingan got 8 blocks yesterday.
That was against a finesse team with no interior presence where he could react against guards driving the lane. He's not going to have that luxury against SDSU and LeDee.

The other factor that we have to consider is that SDSU has seen us already, unlike all of the other teams we've blitzed in the last two Tournaments. Yes, we had some turnover and Spencer/Castle/Diarra/Johnson are not the same as Hawkins/Jackson/Sanogo/Calcaterra/Alleyne, but they are not going to be intimidated by us and LeDee in particular was one of the guys who kept them in the game in the second half.

To be clear, they are a limited offensive team who shouldn't shoot the way they did against Yale, but they're also not going to be mentally out of the game 10 minutes in the way many of our opponents have been.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
As long as Donovan stays straight up whenever he drives to the basket we’ll be fine.

Guys, nobody is getting to the rim against us with him. He’s the best defensive player in basketball.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
LeDee is 5th in the country in fouls drawn per 40 minutes. Generally speaking, Clingan getting in foul trouble makes UConn mortal. For SDSU to beat UConn without a miracle shooting day, they pretty much have to get Clingan in foul trouble and statistically speaking they have the guy to make that a possibility.

Obviously the coaching staff and players are not idiots and will game plan to prevent that from being a factor. Clingan has leveled up his game recently; this is just another test.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom