How sweet it is! (Louisville recap) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How sweet it is! (Louisville recap)

Reaction Score
I predicted Louisville would win. I’m glad I was wrong. Here is a meme I made that I feel accurately describes this game (though it could’ve been extended to the entire team tbh):
DA5C8978-5E5D-4A0B-85E8-46465575D655.jpeg

Reaction Score
I hope the team appreciates that I had to wear my lucky UConn slippers and pedal my exercise bike for the whole hour and 50 minutes to carry the team on my back. I had to pedal especially hard the last 90 seconds, well actually only from 90 seconds to about 8 seconds, then I felt I could relax. I can tell my cardiologist the heart is still good. I hope I have two more games left in these legs. I nearly went hoarse during those 82 seconds screaming my lungs out. Maybe I should have gone to the ballet for this one, seen the final score was a win, and then watched it calmly. Maybe it was good that I missed the UCLA game live.
Very interesting. I too believe that riding my exercise bike brings the team good luck. I was on it from the opening tip-off until the end with breaks during a couple of time-outs and at half-time. Let’s ride the Huskies to a national championship!

Reaction Score
I, for one, did not think that they would get this far all season long, but, I was hoping. I am absolutely delighted with this result. I am very happy for KLS and Pheesa to cap off the end of their UConn careers with the final four. I wish that they can bring this same level of intensity and shooting accuracy to the next two games. Congratulations to Geno and the entire coaching staff as well as the players. They deserve it.

Reaction Score
UConn rebounds 43; Louisville: 38. However, Louisville offensive 13 to UConn's 11. UConn gets the nod for defensive rebounds 32 to Louisville's 25
I look it as 32-13 on Louisville’s basket and 25-11 on UConns.

UConn got 71% on Lou’s basket and Lou got only 69% on UConns basket.

Reaction Score
And Megan and CW ....

Right, vg. Lou returned and the Kids arrived. This was a wonderful win: it avenged an earlier loss and demonstrated who the real #1 was. Now we have a chance for further "redemption." We'll probably get ND next Friday and Baylor in the final. Victories would repay a heart-rending loss to the Irish in the FF last year and this season's loss in Texas. Winning the NC would be huge for a team that bumped and ground all year, and Geno could ascend to the clouds if he isn't already there. You got it right, Lou: wearing "UConn" across your chest is something very special.

Reaction Score
The play of CW and MW really made the difference between the first and second Lville games. If they are making shots, that gives Lou more space to work. Everyone played their role today.

agreed..........................BTW if you watched Geno's post game comments he agreed with KLS that one of the reasons CW and MW stepped up was the confidence they developed during the games when KLS was out and the two of them had to play lots of big minutes............this just backs up my contention that if the young players have the talent and the will, they need to be pushed in the deep end so they can learn how to swim...................same for ONO, it seems the more games she plays the bigger the contribution she makes.........

Reaction Score
agreed......BTW if you watched Geno's post game comments he agreed with KLS that one of the reasons CW and MW stepped up was the confidence they developed during the games when KLS was out and the two of them had to play lots of big minutes..this just backs up my contention that if the young players have the talent and the will, they need to be pushed in the deep end so they can learn how to swim....same for ONO, it seems the more games she plays the bigger the contribution she makes....

absolutely agree with the need to get the younger players more time, and got to wonder if they would have if
Samuelson had not gotten hurt. let that be a lesson to somebody.

Reaction Score
ESPN U is showing a replay of the game tonight. I believe it starts at 12Midnight EST.

Reaction Score
absolutely agree with the need to get the younger players more time, and got to wonder if they would have if
Samuelson had not gotten hurt. let that be a lesson to somebody.

the fact is Geno was forced to play MW and CW right away because they are quality players and frankly because he had no other choice................I expect Ms Griffin will see significant minutes next year as will a graduate transfer or European recruit that joins the 2019/20 team.............

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Of all the great plays in the game my play of the game came about through typical great coaching by Geno. That was when UConn baited LV into throwing that horrible cross court pass on the inbounds. Coaching gold. The truth is once UConn got the lead they never relinquished it. Great team victory.
As I mentioned in another post, after Louisville had burned UConn a couple times screening for Durr to allow her to get jump shots in the lane, for the one and only time in the game, UConn came out of a timeout in a 2-3 zone and Louisville had no clue what to do. Brilliant coaching move by Geno.

Reaction Score
Interesting that neither Pheesa nor Asia were the stars of the game
For both teams other players had to step up and they did.

Encouraging going forward that on any giving day, any of our 5 can take over a game.
The team played tough D throughout and rebounded well

Aside from the strange blip at the end, they looked an awful lot like vintage UConn.

Though I was dying at the time, that unfortunate blip at the end was good for us. We kept our heads and pulled out the win. I remember times this season, and past seasons, where that didn't happen.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I need to mention Crystal's play. As I watched the game at TUC, Crystal was unbelievable. She was running through, around and over screens and picks the entire game from sideline to sideline, bird-dogging Durr. While Durr had 21 points, it was on 7 for 19 shooting and she never was able to take over the game. In the first half, Crystal held Durr to 1-10 shooting. Crystal was truly the unsung hero of the game.

Reaction Score
ESPN U is showing a replay of the game tonight. I believe it starts at 12Midnight EST.
If it's the usual ESPNU replay, you will hear "Due to time constraints, we move ahead in the action" multiple times.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
At watching the previous games I started wondering why Geno was not running ANY plays for Lou, and really hadn't been running many all year, and how often the rest of the team was missing her when she was open as well.

This game was the first in quite a while that they seemed to be looking for her consistently and running plays to get her open.

Really wondered if they would keep the FF streak alive this year, and thought the rematch with Louisville was likely the best possible bracket situation available, and the only way that was likely happening was with Uconn as a 2 seed, so wasn't that disappoint with the field reveal.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
At watching the previous games I started wondering why Geno was not running ANY plays for Lou, and really hadn't been running many all year, and how often the rest of the team was missing her when she was open as well.

This game was the first in quite a while that they seemed to be looking for her consistently and running plays to get her open.

Really wondered if they would keep the FF streak alive this year, and thought the rematch with Louisville was likely the best possible bracket situation available, and the only way that was likely happening was with Uconn as a 2 seed, so wasn't that disappoint with the field reveal.
Still haven't seen that curl at the elbow off of a screen for Lou in some time.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
After the game Lou was jumping up and down and screaming with the cheerleaders. Then, a couple of minutes later, with the band. She outjumped everyone in the band, although the tuba players have an excuse. A couple of cheerleaders outjumped her. She didn’t appear to be bothered by that. She was about as happy as a person can be.

In the second half she worked a little maneuver with Crystal that freed Lou for a wide open three at the top of the key that she drained. Going back on defense, she looked at Crystal and gave her a quick nod and a wry “we got this” grin.

Driving up to Albany, I was apprehensive for her. She struggled on Friday and looked drained and out of sorts at the Saturday press conference. Maybe wishful thinking, but I thought she was moving better in warmups. Draining her first three was huge. I didn’t think Louisville had a great matchup against her. I was hoping for the best but this performance went way beyond that. Epic, her best ever considering the moment.

Crystal’s defense on Durr was outstanding, and CW is playing with an aggressive, powerful, multifaceted style that belies her freshman status. She and Megan were terrific on the boards and Megan’s four early threes kept us in the game. Napheesa struggled with those 5-6 footers she usually makes but which are touch shots that are more difficult than they look. Nevertheless, she provided help in a lot of areas - defense, rebounding, assists, even bringing the ball up on occasion.

One of my favorite games ever. Any team, any sport.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom