How much a** kissing do we want to do to get | The Boneyard

How much a** kissing do we want to do to get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
into the ACC? There is an article in today's Waterbury Republican-American essentially focusing on BCU's "alleged" efforts to marshall support to block(or at the very least drag on) our entry. Can't link to it because subscription is required. Traces back to 2003 lawsuit as we all know but reporter(Ed Daigneault) also speculates about APR scores and last year's NCAA penalties. In fairness he points out current NCAA problems at Miami and Carolina;and past problems at Florida State and Clemson. And he has highlighted UConn's top 20 status among public universities. I hate the thought of perpetual also rans like BCU being obstructionist jerks but I'm not at all surprised. I would think that Susan Herbst's ACC history and current reputation as well as allies we have in the ACC would be enough to get BCU to crawl back in their hole. Then we can deal with them on the basketball court. :)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He's speculating like the rest of us. I wouldn't take any of these activities by any of the schools, substantiated or not, personally. It would be petty of BC to look at past perceived transgression as the rationale for halting forward progress and it would be petty of us to do so as well.

However I am well aware that even so called powerful and intelligent people can be petty. That is why I like Herbst. She seems to be above pettiness. Any Duke alumni that can embrace JC demonstrates this.

Reaction Score
Remember too... our Gov is a BC alum, i'm sure he can smooth things over if he has too.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I've a feeling this BC hype is being overplayed. If the ACC wants us then BC isn't going to be able to impede that happening. I think it's more along the lines of BC wanting to hold on inviting UConn until the ND situation is answered. It sounds like Herbst has already received some assurance that UConn is in line for an ACC invite but will have to wait. I'm sure she is saying, "If you're going to do it, do it now and then resolve the final team, ND or RU".

Reaction Score
BC by itself can't obstruct anything. More important is FSU et al. and its (their) desire for a strong FB school. Doesn't mean we shouldn't have BC on our side, if possible.

Reaction Score
into the ACC? There is an article in today's Waterbury Republican-American essentially focusing on BCU's "alleged" efforts to marshall support to block(or at the very least drag on) our entry. Can't link to it because subscription is required. Traces back to 2003 lawsuit as we all know but reporter(Ed Daigneault) also speculates about APR scores and last year's NCAA penalties. In fairness he points out current NCAA problems at Miami and Carolina;and past problems at Florida State and Clemson. And he has highlighted UConn's top 20 status among public universities. I hate the thought of perpetual also rans like BCU being obstructionist jerks but I'm not at all surprised. I would think that Susan Herbst's ACC history and current reputation as well as Allie we have in the ACC would be enough to get BCU to crawl back in their hole. Then we can deal with them on the basketball court. :)
Uconn needs 8 votes to get in. 75% of the schools. Either BC is an insignificant voice in the ACC or they are all powerful based on this board. Neither is true. BC is not blocking Uconn all by itself because it is one vote. Can they express their issues with or desire to not have Uconn in the ACC? Probably, but there are at least 4 other schools that currently have reservations about an immediate add of Uconn plus 1 unless the 1 is ND. The ACC does not have to do anything right now. They can sit back and wait. And Herbst is doing what she should to lay the groundwork for the next step, whenever that may be. I bet she is doing it with every ACC school. Or at least she should be.

Reaction Score
Uconn needs 8 votes to get in. 75% of the schools. Either BC is an insignificant voice in the ACC or they are all powerful based on this board. Neither is true. BC is not blocking Uconn all by itself because it is one vote. Can they express their issues with or desire to not have Uconn in the ACC? Probably, but there are at least 4 other schools that currently have reservations about an immediate add of Uconn plus 1 unless the 1 is ND. The ACC does not have to do anything right now. They can sit back and wait. And Herbst is doing what she should to lay the groundwork for the next step, whenever that may be. I bet she is doing it with every ACC school. Or at least she should be.

Better math please. We would need 9 votes to get to 75%.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
And we don't know if any of the schools are blocking UConn because they don't like UConn or because they are trying to keep the option of ND joining the conference open.

Reaction Score
Better math please. We would need 9 votes to get to 75%.
fat fingers and typing on a smart phone do not mix. 9 is correct. But the basic fact is that at least 4 schools have said no.

Reaction Score
fat fingers and typing on a smart phone do not mix. 9 is correct. But the basic fact is that at least 4 schools have said no.
BC, FSU & Clemson who want better football teams, and probably Miami.

Reaction Score
Rumor has it that Mike DiMauro from the Day, a BCU alum, is working feverishly to get BCU to change their vote.

BCU basketball players are laying 2 to 1 odds against a deal being struck. I'm checking vegasinsider.com to confirm.

Reaction Score
It's not a** kissing. It's building bridges. Playing BC in all sports would be great for both institutions and sports fans in New England.

Reaction Score
LMFAO re: the BCU players comment!!! As far as Dimauro goes, does that mean he finally got a Christmas card from JC?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Building bridges is a good idea. kissing won't make a whit of difference. The ACC will only take UConn if they need us. Saying "please" is not going to accelerate the process.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Isn't forgiveness one of BCU's core values? In that spirt, I would be willing to forgive them.

Reaction Score
Building bridges is a good idea. kissing won't make a whit of difference. The ACC will only take UConn if they need us. Saying "please" is not going to accelerate the process.

Need schmeed. 64 teams. Who else? You think the Big10 is going to be thrilled about adding anyone other than ND? Of course not. but they will do it regardless. Everyone is already subsidizing the weaker schools.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Need schmeed. 64 teams. Who else? You think the Big10 is going to be thrilled about adding anyone other than ND? Of course not. but they will do it regardless. Everyone is already subsidizing the weaker schools.

If the conferences wanted to be 16 schools, they would be 16 schools already. They aren't, and the Big 10 and Pac 12 have no intention of budging. Why would the ACC be any different?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
If the conferences wanted to be 16 schools, they would be 16 schools already. They aren't, and the Big 10 and Pac 12 have no intention of budging. Why would the ACC be any different?
I think this explanation covers why the trigger hasn't been pulled but is about to be pulled in short order.
Upstater wrote:

upstater said:
Because of Super Conferences. They want more $$. The only way there is 16. Because that will END the Big12 and BE. And when the Big12 and BE are ended, the limited pot of money that exists in TV rights will be spread to the 64 instead of the 84 or whatever. Simple math. Sure, the added schools may not be accretive marketwise (which is precisely why you try to grab the best schools you can now) but the per team contract will rise.

The Pac-10 and ACC are the two leagues who stand to risk the most in this game, especially the ACC.

For the Pac10, if Tex goes to the Big10 or ACC, and Oklahoma and Okie St head to the SEC, the Pac10 is looking at rubbings for members. They'll be begging Okie.
for the ACC, they risk losing UConn/Rutgers to the Big10 if and when ND joins. If that happens, the ACC is left looking at UConn/Rutgers and who? Worse, adding UConn and Rutgers now may precipitate losing a football school to the SEC.

The Big10 is sitting back but it too can't be too complacement. Sure, it can eventually add ND/Rutgers/UConn, but it's likely it may be looking at Kansas/Kansas St/Iowa St/West Virginia too if it dawdles too much.

The SEC could be bold and end all this within a week by taking Oklahoma and Okie St. If the SEC were to do that, you'd see an end to this in very short order.

Reaction Score

They are trying to move to 16 now as we speak. The Big10, for instance, isn't going to just add schools to get to 16. It wants Notre Dame. Not just any old school.

It's a game of poker.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They are trying to move to 16 now as we speak. The Big10, for instance, isn't going to just add schools to get to 16. It wants Notre Dame. Not just any old school.

It's a game of poker.

The Big 10 has made it abundantly clear it isn't interested in anyone other than Notre Dame or Texas. We aren't Notre Dame. 10 years from now, the Big 10 will be a 12 team conference. 10 years from now, the Pac 12 will be a 12 team conference. 10 years from now, the SEC will be a 14 team conference (1 addition). Why would the ACC go to 16?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom