How many NBA players do we have on our roster this year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How many NBA players do we have on our roster this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Clingan and Castle of course.

If Karban was 6’9 it’s not a question. At 6’7 I wonder what others at that size have done with similar skills to Karaban. He definitely improved it seemed yesterday in expanding his game.

Ball, Ross, and Stewart all have first round potential down the line.

Samson has the talent. No idea how the NBA will feel about his age.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I think we have six potential nba players on our current roster.
1) Donovan Clingan
2) Alex Karaban
3) Stephon Castle
4) Jaylen Stewart
5) Jayden Ross

I really think Johnson has a chance as well. For his size he plays way bigger than 6’10” and he is so athletic I could see him finding a role if he commits to being a great defender. So we are stacked. Did I miss any or are any on the list that should not be? Could be two early to make the assessment on Stewart and Ross but they are both prototypical nba wing bodies. They can both handle the ball.
Same answer I had before opening the thread. Thought 5 and then “oh and Johnson maybe.”

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Jason Tatum plays the 4 and GS start small too. Karaban will have a legit shot at an NBA roster due to his shooting and versatility. He can play an NBA 4 easily. There aren't a lot of bruisers in the league anymore.
Wemby would score 100 points on Karaban.

Reaction Score
This is both the wrong time and the wrong place to be asking this question. At this time last year, the BY "experts" were telling us that Andre would never sniff the league, Adama was only suitable to play in Europe and that Jordan might get drafted but was too frail and hadn't the handles to make it in the NBA. The fact that freescooter has reappeared to answer this question really validates my premise.

Reaction Score
Clingan will probably be drafted but not high and he’ll have a limited career. He is a 1980s NBA prototype center. The game has moved away from that type of player. Same as the Purdue guy except he is a little more skilled.
Ever heard of Rudy Gobert? Clingan has the potential to be at that same level defensively in the NBA and he will be a much better offensive player than Gobert ever was if he continues to improve his shot.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Same as the Purdue guy except he is a little more skilled.
Before I decide whether or not to give your post a Like, I need to know who you're referring to where you've written "he" in the sentence quoted above.

Do you mean Clingan, or do you mean "the Purdue guy," whose name is Zach Edey?

Reaction Score
This is both the wrong time and the wrong place to be asking this question. At this time last year, the BY "experts" were telling us that Andre would never sniff the league, Adama was only suitable to play in Europe and that Jordan might get drafted but was too frail and hadn't the handles to make it in the NBA. The fact that freescooter has reappeared to answer this question really validates my premise.
That's not true, there were a few people who might have thought that. But last year at this time there were plenty of people saying all 3 of them were going to be drafted after the season

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
If one night tells the story, more than I originally thought

Reaction Score
If you didn't see it with Samson last night...long,fluid,hops...my goodness
I saw tremendous athleticism. I didn't see him hit a jump shot. I didn't see him make a move with his back to the basket. And I saw lapses on defense. Loads of potential for sure, and the possibility of turning into a draft pick. But he's a junior - not a freshman.

Reaction Score
I saw enough of Stewart last night to know he will be drafted someday. If hes what i think he is which of course i have to see more but he will go very high in the draft. That kid has special written all over him.
Based on 9 minutes against low D-1 competition? If that's enough for you to know he'll be drafted, then you've got serious skill at identifying talent. Kid looks good. Can he be special? Don't know yet, still need to see more.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
The idea was to make guesses for fun. Of course we don’t have enough data on Stewart and Ross or Ball for that matter. From my perspective this whole board is about opinion and just casually discussing a topic we mostly all love. UConn hoops. Wrong time and wrong place is interesting perhaps you can clarify what the heck that means. Is there a statistically right time to share a random thought. Jeez…..the best part of your post is that I could have predicted who would give it a “like”…..

Reaction Score
Clingan will probably be drafted but not high and he’ll have a limited career. He is a 1980s NBA prototype center. The game has moved away from that type of player. Same as the Purdue guy except he is a little more skilled.

Missed ya buddy!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Aren’t they ineligible if they play in the NBA? Hope we don’t get caught

Seriously, Clingan, Castle and probably Karaban. Other freshmen, no sample size. Newton will be a pro, NBA unlikely but he’s got some translatable skills.

Reaction Score
Castle and Clingan are the obvious ones. Karaban too, but I'm not sure he quite has an NBA skillset. Could see him as a long-time bench guy.

Solo, Ross, Stewart are all possible but it will probably be more like Tyrese or Adama where they don't really play. The last two are especially longshots. Generally guys who are 8th/9th-man as freshmen are not making NBA rosters, even if they do develop the skill. It's hard for older players to get onto NBA roster.

Reaction Score
Clingan, Castle should both be lottery barring some bullet in the knee rumor (see: Butler, Caron).

Karaban is a great college player but for the NBA he will either need to measure out well, or be able to make the transition to playing the three. Still shooting may carry the day here. He started expanding his offense at the end of last year and if he can continue what he did last night, I think he should. Anyone think he could have a Doug McDermott type career?

Newton will probably not but Colin Gillespie has played four games for the Nuggets this year after signing a two way with the Nuggets.

Spencer should make a ton of money overseas but I can't see him in the NBA

Johnson, he is athletic enough. Long road for him though.

Ball/Ross/Stewart TBD.
Newton looked
good in the NBA (lower priority) camp last year .If he could shoot better he has a chance as a combo . .The NBA range is no issue but his selection hurts his percentage .
Karaban is a sleeper his is not the great athlete they look for . But I was impressed with his upper body and that confidence putting the ball on the floor. He had to show more explosiveness on that first step.,He had a better shot at it todsy than in the 1990’s .

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The idea was to make guesses for fun. Of course we don’t have enough data on Stewart and Ross or Ball for that matter. From my perspective this whole board is about opinion and just casually discussing a topic we mostly all love. UConn hoops. Wrong time and wrong place is interesting perhaps you can clarify what the heck that means. Is there a statistically right time to share a random thought. Jeez…..the best part of your post is that I could have predicted who would give it a “like”…..
Ok, but the reality is that none of these guys could sniff an NBA floor right now.

Karaban is closest probably, but with a low ceiling. Kind of a Sam Hauser role with the Celtics. If he can defend quicker guys in space and show more of that ball handling, he's a legit NBA bench player.

Castle has to show a lot, and we think he will. But many who were supposed to do that as freshmen, didn't. His hustle Monday was encouraging. He's taking Hurley's coaching and that is huge. Has to show he can shoot, because while he's great getting to the rim, that only works in the NBA if they respect your shot. Has to defend well and has the tools to do that.

Clingan is still raw on offense. He needs a face up jumper and FTs closer to 75%. His rebounding is elite+. His Rim Protection is great and I was encouraged he didn't chase drivers like he did last year, trying to block everything. If they score over you, so be it. Has weaknesses defending the perimeter, let's see how that plays out this year against Kalk, Dixon etc. Passing is an expected + for him, UConn needs to use him that way more. Didn't on Monday.

Tristan could possibly carve out a Kevin Ollie like career as a bench PG. He's a + shooter, good scorer at the rim and a good but not great passer. Good rebounder too. Athleticism is a minus at the NBA level.

Solo has the body of an NBA PG. He's small for an NBA SG, so he's going to need to show some ball handling and passing skills. Strength helps him quite a bit, if he can guard 6-7/8 guys then he has more value. Has to shoot well too.

Johnson has an NBA+ body and athleticism. It's a skills question as well as deeper understanding of the game. He hasn't played long, so it's possible that as he finally gets playing time that part clicks for him. He needs to shoot from outside and show he can dribble and defend on the perimeter. He's a flex forward at the next level if he gets there. Has a lot to show to get there but could.

Not enough data on Ross or Stewart.

For all of these guys, expect that as the season goes on Hurley will allow them to show exactly the things they need to show. It's up to them to do it.

Reaction Score

Literally every current draft projection disagrees with you.

Reaction Score
I think Karaban is a no brainer at this point. It’s probably an embellishment but last year Sam Vecenie or one of the other draft podcasters I listen to mentioned that more teams inquired about AK than anyone else on the roster.

Deepster mentioned he would do well in a Pop type system that values shooting and IQ but that describes the NBA in general nowadays.

Seemingly every time I look through an NBA box score I see one WTF guy - a recent one was Cole Swider and it only reinforces that AK is an NBA guy.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
Wemby would score 100 points on Karaban.
I mean, the guy is projected to destroy most 4's in the league. Hence why he was the number 1 overall pick lol. Karaban isn't much shorter than Tatum/other 3/4 hybrids & has shown an ability to adapt to schemes as needed --- cite last years massive defensive improvement in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Depends on what we mean by "NBA players." Jerome Dyson got a cup of coffee in the NBA, but I wouldn't call him an "NBA player."

If you limit it to guys who are drafted, get a full NBA (not 2-way) contract, and play at least 82 games, I would say:

• Clingan
  • Castle (probably late 1st round either this year or next)
  • Karaban (might be a little overrated here in terms of NBA appeal -- he might have the biggest gap between effectiveness in CBB and desirability by NBA GMs, but I think he gets there)

I think Newton falls just short, maybe plays a few games here or there, but likely goes overseas. Samson Johnson has been all potential for years; if I'm a betting man, I say he doesn't put it together enough, and he's already 21 years old, not gonna get drafted on "potential."

I need to see more from the other freshmen to say one way or another.

Reaction Score
I think Newton falls just short, maybe plays a few games here or there, but likely goes overseas. Samson Johnson has been all potential for years; if I'm a betting man, I say he doesn't put it together enough, and he's already 21 years old, not gonna get drafted on "potential."

I think you're hitting the nail on the head here. We have guys who will probably graduate as skilled or athletic as some NBA players, who just aren't young enough to get drafted and get decent minutes. The NBA doesn't have time for upperclassmen to develop any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom