How many assistants get the axe?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
2 at a minimum
OL coach Foley where are you????
OC...Tony Levine who is now at WKU.
P.S. TOM HERMAN won at Houston with all Levine recruits.

Really like Levine. He is still receiving 300k per year from Houston. Maybe split 150/150 with WKU. We probably would have to pay him 400-500k, make him associate Head Coach and OC.
He would be excellent coach and recruiter.

Reaction Score
New OC - it's as plain as day, and also need a new OL coach. That really was the heart of all our offensive woes. Can't run block, and pass blocking is non-existent - even with the D rushing 4 men we gave up sacks. Other than a competent QB, everything starts with that.

ST coach should go too - 5 returned punts for 2 yards for the whole year????

How do you know we haven't had a competent qb when he is always running for their life?

Reaction Score
How do you know we haven't had a competent qb when he is always running for their life?

That's not what I was saying. Shirreffs, and even Williams (with development) are/could be solid QBs with a decent OL. But we never saw that because most of the time the pocket broke down right away.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Anyone associated with the secondary has to go. They were clueless all year.
WHAT????
You mean all the guys that Diaco promised will be playing on Sundays????
The same guys who played 15 yards off of every play????

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
We also need, IMO, a change at DC.

I'd think Jon Wholley would come back for a DC gig. He liked a tweet I sent begging ND to take Diaco back. Wholley isn't a brand name, but he's doing a pretty decent job at Fordham. If, by some miracle, Moorhead took the HC job, I wouldn't be surprised if Moorhead hired him.

Reaction Score
Diaco has made strategic and time-management mistakes, plus he talks like a crazy optimist, but I still believe the biggest problem is the lack of talent; year after year, UConn recruiting classes are rated near the bottom of even the AAC, so how can we expect Diaco to consistently win with these guys?!

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
He's not firing any. Don't be naive, this dumbo thinks he has all the pieces in place, just had bad luck this year.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I bet we see a new OC/Associate HC at UConn, and new OL coach... Here's some options for OC:

-Tony Levine (Frm. Houston HC/WKU TE Coach)
-TJ Weist (USF OC)
-Kirk Ciarrocca (Western Michigan OC)
-Tim Albin (Ohio OC)
-Brian Wright (Toledo OC)
-Kenny Edenfield (Troy OC)

Reaction Score
I bet we see a new OC/Associate HC at UConn, and new OL coach... Here's some options for OC:

-TJ Weist (USF OC)
-Tim Albin (Ohio OC)
Ciarrocca was a complete unmitigated disaster at RU. Thanks but no thanks..we just had his clone here the past few seasons.

Reaction Score

-TJ Weist (USF OC)
-Tim Albin (Ohio OC)

Only way Weist comes back to UConn is as the new HC.

Diaco has made strategic and time-management mistakes, plus he talks like a crazy optimist, but I still believe the biggest problem is the lack of talent; year after year, UConn recruiting classes are rated near the bottom of even the AAC, so how can we expect Diaco to consistently win with these guys?!

He could have and should have done better by this time in his third year. The O-line has not improved at all and that is on his decision making as far as staff is concerned. Some of the crazy in-game decisions have cost him at least half a dozen games over 3 years, some would claim a lot more. The recruiting has not been P-5 caliber but who is that on? I say it's on Diaco and his staff for not making the sale. It's practically December and still not one O-line recruit has verballed. The most critical position for this team right now besides QB. The facilities are in place. The league is competitive with P-5 schools and boasts plenty of national TV exposure. There is a state full of potential fans waiting on a winner so there's no excuse for not upgrading the caliber of recruits.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's not firing any. Don't be naive, this dumbo thinks he has all the pieces in place, just had bad luck this year.
I agree if it was up to him. But he will be told to fire at least some.

Reaction Score
Only way Weist comes back to UConn is as the new HC.

He could have and should have done better by this time in his third year. The O-line has not improved at all and that is on his decision making as far as staff is concerned. Some of the crazy in-game decisions have cost him at least half a dozen games over 3 years, some would claim a lot more. The recruiting has not been P-5 caliber but who is that on? I say it's on Diaco and his staff for not making the sale. It's practically December and still not one O-line recruit has verballed. The most critical position for this team right now besides QB. The facilities are in place. The league is competitive with P-5 schools and boasts plenty of national TV exposure. There is a state full of potential fans waiting on a winner so there's no excuse for not upgrading the caliber of recruits.
Agree with all of this.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It will be a miracle if wacky bob can haul in anyone above a DII coach. What coaches that have shown something in FBS would want to hitch their star to this wagon? I know - the promise of Diaco's job in 2018 is the lure - but now that we are the Wake Forest of football, wouldn't 95% of worthy coaches wait for the next wagon?

Reaction Score
It will be a miracle if wacky bob can haul in anyone above a DII coach. What coaches that have shown something in FBS would want to hitch their star to this wagon? I know - the promise of Diaco's job in 2018 is the lure - but now that we are the Wake Forest of football, wouldn't 95% of worthy coaches wait for the next wagon?

We found TJ Wiest in 2013. That's what you have to find, some senior position coach who should have broken through a while ago, or a younger guy. That's the best you can hope for.

Any establish OC is going to want absurd money. He would be seen as a lower cost alternative to firing and buying out a failed Head Coach. So we would be overpaying for something far less than a sure thing.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We found TJ Wiest in 2013. That's what you have to find, some senior position coach who should have broken through a while ago, or a younger guy. That's the best you can hope for.

Any establish OC is going to want absurd money. He would be seen as a lower cost alternative to firing and buying out a failed Head Coach. So we would be overpaying for something far less than a sure thing.
I have my doubts we can repeat the Weist story this time around. Severe doubts....because this is our sixth losing season in a row, because its our third HC since Edsall, because our recruiting/cupboard is bare and most of all, because Bob has built nothing in three years to work with...nothing at all.

Reaction Score
Why would any of this staff be retained? What units played well? As for S&C I don't know. Looked like we have big kids who get pushed around a lot and are not very physical.
I saw Big Kids that looked strong but could not move. I keep seeing in my mind over and over again the DE on the right pushing by his opponent and on track to get a sack but the QB just moves to his right and the DE keeps going straight as he can't turn...no lateral movement and when he gets turned no speed.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I find the dynamics of competing leverages between the school and Goofy Bob baffling. I cannot see any functional future for the coaching staff that doesn't include Diaco's release. If there is one somebody please explain it because I don't see it.

Reaction Score
WTIC Joe D thinks 4 assistants have to go in on-air conversation w/ Jacobs right now (on both sides of ball). None of them think Diaco goes anyways (Joe D, Jacobs or Gresh)

Reaction Score
What is the over under on how many recruits are actually signed after this fiasco. I say 3.

Reaction Score

Recruiting rankings aside. If that's your reason/excuse, then let me ask you this:

He's in year three, who recruited them?

Diaco did, and he's accountable for the entire product at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom